Check engine light but no related codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Klv702

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello.
I just bought a 2016 Eco diesel in December with 38k miles on it. About a week ago, maybe 10 days now, my check engine light came on so I swung by an O'reillys to get the code read and their reader couldn't pull up any codes. It showed that the check engine light was lit up, but couldn't find any related codes. So I checked my manual and the manual says if the light's not blinking that the computer should reset itself after a few drive cycles. Well like I said it's been over a week now, and the light is still on. I plan to take it in to the dealer as soon as possible but the truck seems to be driving okay so it's not a top priority. Sorry for rambling, but my question is has anyone else had this happen to their trucks? I read through some of the forums and hadn't seen anyone experiencing my issue. And seeing how I just bought my truck from a Dodge dealer, is it safe to assume they fixed any recall issues prior to selling it to me? Or do I need to ask them specifically about any recall that I've become aware of since purchasing the truck?

Thanks,

Keri

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hello.
I just bought a 2016 Eco diesel in December with 38k miles on it. About a week ago, maybe 10 days now, my check engine light came on so I swung by an O'reillys to get the code read and their reader couldn't pull up any codes. It showed that the check engine light was lit up, but couldn't find any related codes. So I checked my manual and the manual says if the light's not blinking that the computer should reset itself after a few drive cycles. Well like I said it's been over a week now, and the light is still on. I plan to take it in to the dealer as soon as possible but the truck seems to be driving okay so it's not a top priority. Sorry for rambling, but my question is has anyone else had this happen to their trucks? I read through some of the forums and hadn't seen anyone experiencing my issue. And seeing how I just bought my truck from a Dodge dealer, is it safe to assume they fixed any recall issues prior to selling it to me? Or do I need to ask them specifically about any recall that I've become aware of since purchasing the truck?

Thank you
Keri
I would not assume that the dealer has performed any open recalls or RRT's on the truck before the sale was completed. Even though I have been a dealership technician for over 20 years I still do not trust or assume the dealer has done anything. I would call the selling dealer and set an appointment with the service department. While you are on the phone with the service adviser ask them if there are any open recalls.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hello.

Thanks,

Keri

Congratulations on your purchase, Keri. At this time, our team recommends visiting the dealer as planned to allow their team a chance to diagnose your concern. If at any time you would like an additional layer of assistance, reach out to us in private message. Additionally, you can check to see if your vehicle is part of any recalls at https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html.

Kate
RamCares

BobSacomano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Hello.

Thanks,

Keri

I'm reviving your post from a couple months ago so you probably got this handled already, but I'm just commenting to say I had the same problem. Engine light, no code.

Check the gas cap and make sure it's closed nice and tight before you spend any money fixing this.