Modest off-roading recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjw92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I'm not a big off-roader but I have some friends that I suspect will be jumping down the overlanding rabbit-hole soon, so it could be in my future. My truck is a nearly stock '16 1500 big horn approaching 100k miles so things are wearing. I use it as a daily driver but I hunt and hike and find myself on some sketchy "roads" in northern Michigan on occasion so I'd like some actual capability improvements.

First on my mind is a lift. I see the Bil 5100 is pretty popular and may or may not necessitate replacing other parts like upper control arms. I've noticed cupping on some tires that I understand may be an indicator of bad shocks (?) so if I'm replacing shocks anyway, I might as well get what I ultimately want. Right? (I think that's what I'll tell my wife anyway...) So, that leaves me with the following questions:
1. Are Bilstein 5100s better for off-roading, or is it more of a street thing? Are they even much better shocks than OEM? Should I be looking at something else?
2. I'm the type that prefers to do things "right" not necessarily the "well I haven't had a problem so it must be right" type. So real talk.. should I replace the UCAs anyway?
3. I think I've seen trucks on here on the 2.8 setting with stock size tires that looked pretty good. How high would you say is the threshold where you look like you skipped leg day if you don't up-size tires?

Second thought is grill guard or bull bar with a winch. There were a few spots up north where I was grouse hunting that I drove the loooong way around because I wasn't sure I'd make it through some bigass mud puddles. Is there a more practical alternative than a winch for someone like me who isn't necessarily a big off-roader? Like I said, I'm not driving off road for the sake of off-roading, I want to get places for a purpose, my truck is just a means to and end. I want the grill guard and winch on the truck because it'll look bad-***, but I'm trying to stay pragmatic.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I'm not a big off-roader but I have some friends that I suspect will be jumping down the overlanding rabbit-hole soon, so it could be in my future. My truck is a nearly stock '16 1500 big horn approaching 100k miles so things are wearing. I use it as a daily driver but I hunt and hike and find myself on some sketchy "roads" in northern Michigan on occasion so I'd like some actual capability improvements.

First on my mind is a lift. I see the Bil 5100 is pretty popular and may or may not necessitate replacing other parts like upper control arms. I've noticed cupping on some tires that I understand may be an indicator of bad shocks (?) so if I'm replacing shocks anyway, I might as well get what I ultimately want. Right? (I think that's what I'll tell my wife anyway...) So, that leaves me with the following questions:
1. Are Bilstein 5100s better for off-roading, or is it more of a street thing? Are they even much better shocks than OEM? Should I be looking at something else?
2. I'm the type that prefers to do things "right" not necessarily the "well I haven't had a problem so it must be right" type. So real talk.. should I replace the UCAs anyway?
3. I think I've seen trucks on here on the 2.8 setting with stock size tires that looked pretty good. How high would you say is the threshold where you look like you skipped leg day if you don't up-size tires?

Second thought is grill guard or bull bar with a winch. There were a few spots up north where I was grouse hunting that I drove the loooong way around because I wasn't sure I'd make it through some bigass mud puddles. Is there a more practical alternative than a winch for someone like me who isn't necessarily a big off-roader? Like I said, I'm not driving off road for the sake of off-roading, I want to get places for a purpose, my truck is just a means to and end. I want the grill guard and winch on the truck because it'll look bad-***, but I'm trying to stay pragmatic.

Deciding on a brand of lift kit will simplify your needs. The front coilovers are included in some kits depending on how much you want to spend. 5100's are meant for leveling with upper control arms or with spacers in conjunction to the lift it.
If your trying to spend as little as money as possible this is just an example

6" bracket lift kit that uses spacers on top of the coilover, 5100 shock front, spring, top hat then spacer.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a really easy question to answer and a really hard one at the same time.

Everyone has a different idea of what it means to go off road, everyone has a different idea of how important looks are, really you might as well ask what the best kind of music is or what brand of oil is best. Yeah, I know that's useless and doesn't help you right?

Well to try to be helpful AEV used Bilstein 5100's in their 4th gen Ram 1500 kit, Mopar's own 2" and 4" kit for the 4th gen use Bilstein 5100's.. I've been using 5100's for six years now on my own Ram and haven't run into any problems or worn them out but I'm sure some folks are going to say I'm not a real off-roader and where/how I drive qualifies as some old lady's driveway where they live :Big Laugh: .

If you want to appease the First Chairborne Division :patriot: you definitely need 6112's or Fox 2.0's or Kings. I'm sure they're awesome.

Regarding upper control arms if you're using lift struts - not spacers - and you stay at 2" or less you don't need aftermarket upper control arms. The benefit that lift-specific upper arms provide is correcting camber for raised ride height and generally your stock camber adjustment cams are just barely enough for 2" or less of lift. More than that, and you'll want upper arms that specifically correct for lift to ensure that you can get a good alignment including factory camber and caster. Aftermarket arms can still be a good upgrade for strength, to replace worn parts, etc... but they aren't necessary at 2 or fewer inches.

Grill guards and bull bars don't really do anything, I think of them like the 4x4 equivalent of wearing non-prescription nerd glasses to appear intellectual. If you want to run a winch it should be mounted between your frame rails because that's where it should be pulling from. There are some aftermarket bumpers with integrated winch mounts that are suitable but let's just say they're not exactly the bumpers you'll find for $650 on ebay.

Hand winches can be a useful tool for getting unstuck but they do have quite a lot of limitations.. they're really not going to do a single thing for you if you slide off an embankment, they only have about 3 feet of working range by the time you take into account cable stretch, and they put you and your body right in the absolute most dangerous place you could be if whatever you tie them to decides to break loose. I do carry one and have used it a few times.. but if you have winch money (and winch mount money) that's the ideal way to go. Generally I drive around obstacles whenever possible anyway because I hate fixing things, I hate having to clean mud out of things and I definitely hate fixing muddy things out in the middle of nowhere just to get home. So the number one tool for getting unstuck is a careful driver who doesn't get stuck to begin with. We all make mistakes sometimes but if you can go around something.. go around it. Nobody who matters gives a hoot about your big splash instagram photo.

Others will argue and they're free to do so but if you want a one click done solution just install the Mopar P5155797 lift kit, resist the urge to go 2.8" up front just do the 2.1 setting and enjoy your truck.

Last edited:

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like to think of the 5100's as a good way to level the truck but not really much of an upgrade over stock for off road. if you are going to offroad I would advise you to do at least 6112's or Fox 2.0 coil overs or the Eibach Pro lift kit would be a very good choice as well. Depending on what you do up front I would recommend going with a better shock in the rear as well.

2" or less you dont need UCA's all though if you plan to off road often I would highly recommend them. over 2" of level UCA's are highly recommended and pretty much necessary if you off road as well. Zone UCA's would be the way to go in this case.

Message me if you would like a quote. We offer all of these

j-b

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll throw my .2 cents in here as I'm on that same road. but first a couple of questions.

1. Are you the type who enjoys working on your truck and trying all the options (I am that guy lol) or do you want more of a buy once cry once/set it and forget it?

2. Have you established a budget to spend on everything you want?

3. Do you wheel alone or with a buddy? if 99% with someone, a winch is nice but rarely used and might want to spend that money on something more practical.

Now my advice is; If all you're doing is light offroading in the upper midwest then 5100's are going to be fine. 6112's are going to better and not much more expensive, however the wait time on those seem to be ridiculous right now. If you have the budget go for some Icons it will be well worth it.

I have had 5100's on my RAM for 38,000 miles now and put them through the ringer from Missouri farmland, Alabama red clay mud, Colorado and Moab Jeep trails. They've always kept trucking. Where I felt they were lacking was going fast through the rocky trails out west. In 4low everything is fine, but if you want to keep up with SXS then you need kings, icon, or fox.

An area I think alot of guys overlook is the rear. Swapping out my stock set up for some Progressive rate springs, and Icon shocks made all the difference in the world. Especially if you actually use your truck.

These trucks are really capable and you'll be surprised how far they will take you!

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't like the 5100's the one time I got on the trails. The ride was too bouncy and the valving didn't seem to be made for speed on trails.

The fox 2.0's would work with external reservoirs just fine, and they aren't too bad on pricing.

augiedoggy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I also hunt and hike (climbed 9 of the 46 ADK peaks so far). I also camp and have 2 seasonal sites at two campgrounds between the girlfriend and myself. That said.. I dont go "offroading" in the sense that many here do anymore... I recently lifted a 2015 crewcab ecodiesel I bought which was lowered by a previous owner. In my case the ride quality dramatically improved with the 5100s. I did replace the rear lowering springs with 2" variable superlift springs. the truck handles bumps in the road MUCH better now. At the same time I took a step backwards by going from 31 inch 4ply nitto G2 tires to larger 295/70/18 tires which are heavy 10 ply which give me a lot of road vibration. also going from 42lb to 70lb tires killed my fuel mileage (larger diameter helped with that) I kinda wish I had not lifted the front 3" above stock and the rear 2" so I could run 33" tires and still have the truck look good. at this point im waiting on 34" 4 or 6ply(not sure which) nitto terra grapplers which are 20lb lighter at each tire.

I guess what im trying to say is dont let yourself get carried away. You have to set your priorities and decide if its the looks of a lifted truck, or the ride, power, mileage and reliability advantages you typically get from not lifting that take priority.. In my case the truck was lowered and I didnt like the looks or ride quality but when I bought the truck I had no desire to repeat the decisions I made on my last ram which had 7" of lift, 35" mud tires, 4.56 gears and multiple transmissions, and wheel bearings as a result. I have other vehicles and once the coolness of the lifted truck got old I found myself preferring to drive the other vehicles for the reasons mentioned above. I also didnt care for the stereotype my lifted truck seemed to often bring to the table...For this reason I had a custom window decal made for across my windshield that said "Compensating" so people knew had a sense of humor and far from a Hard@ss. This is just my 2 cents and others will have different experiences and opinions on it im sure. I read a LOT of reviews on the 5100s and for someone like yourself who isnt likely to be doing any serious off roading and drives 85% of the time on actual pavement, They are a solid upgrade IMO. I may replace my upper control arms still but as of right now Im still running stock with no issues. There are better shocks for true offroading trucks but then again true offroading trucks would also benefit more from a real lift kit with more travel in the suspension... and the negative on road tradeoffs that often come with that.

Last edited:

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At the same time I took a step backwards by going from 31 inch 4ply nitto G2 tires to larger 295/70/18 tires which are heavy 10 ply which give me a lot of road vibration. also going from 42lb to 70lb tires killed my fuel mileage (larger diameter helped with that)

Did you correct your speedometer for the tire size? Doing that will help restore some of your fuel mileage because the throttle & transmission behavior will more closely match what the truck is expecting in terms of load and resistance.

augiedoggy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Did you correct your speedometer for the tire size? Doing that will help restore some of your fuel mileage because the throttle & transmission behavior will more closely match what the truck is expecting in terms of load and resistance.
I did using alpha obd