Modified Air Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Green

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Caldwell requested a pic of my modified factory air box, but I figured I'd let everyone see what I had done. Nothing that a 4" hole saw, drill of your choice, and roughly 30 minutes of your life can't handle lol. I took my time as I obviously didn't want to have this thing get cut at an off-angle and it paid off.

I let it start on the inside of the air box so I could line the saw up exactly where I wanted it to go. Once it started to bog down, I flipped the box over and used the small hole from the drill bit as a guide and completed the cut. Again, super easy and made a huge difference in sound/airflow. This is nothing new as I'd seen it done on another forum where they had used some plumbing to take advantage of cooler air from underneath the truck. I just skipped that step and left well enough alone.

There are some sand particles in there, but what do you want for nothing lol. That's what the AEM DryFlow Air Filter is for. This will get me by for now, but I'll probably wind up fabbing my own like I did on my 2007 Charger eventually. It was what pretty much led up to the Frankentake IV on the LXforums all because I decided to use a 45* elbow.

On to the pics, here's one view:

ModifiedAirBox_zpse37849b5.jpg

One more for good measure:

ModifiedAirBox2_zpsa201a5dd.jpg

Last edited:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I can see where this mod gives you more air over the stock box. But warm, dirty, even wet air or water. I would think even a short tube to keep crap out of the box and away from your filter would be a good addition to your build.

Have you done anything about the crappy intake hose with all the articualtion and turbulence? I would suggest that as a great place for franken-intake kit-bashing. You could potentially make a drop-in after market filter almost as good as a CAI with a better tube. :buffer:

OP
OP
Big Green

Big Green

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can see where this mod gives you more air over the stock box. But warm, dirty, even wet air or water. I would think even a short tube to keep crap out of the box and away from your filter would be a good addition to your build.

Have you done anything about the crappy intake hose with all the articualtion and turbulence? I would suggest that as a great place for franken-intake kit-bashing. You could potentially make a drop-in after market filter almost as good as a CAI with a better tube. :buffer:

Nope, still running the stock intake tube. Not worried about water either with as high as the airbox sits, short of a small flood. Again, I'll probably fab up my own intake like I did with the Charger. No need to bash the Frankentake. It is a good design considering the little amount of time and effort it takes to make one with the results it yields.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Nope, still running the stock intake tube. Not worried about water either with as high as the airbox sits, short of a small flood. Again, I'll probably fab up my own intake like I did with the Charger. No need to bash the Frankentake. It is a good design considering the little amount of time and effort it takes to make one with the results it yields.
Not bashing your invention: Kit-bash is a term modellers use when they combine parts from different model kits to make what they want when there is no oringial kit. Common in model railroading and precision modeling.

OP
OP
Big Green

Big Green

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah, never heard of that term before. Thanks for clearing that up! Apologies for my confusion. Also, it's not my invention per se, just my take on Matt Robertson's Frankentake III design.

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
thanks for starting the post good sir !

I honestly dont feel the need to spend 250-400$ for 10 HP. Im totally content with just slightly modding the OEM unit for a whopping 70$ or less for 5-6 HP. I would like to do the same thing as you, and just replace the OEM Intake Tubing. Just need to figure out the proper angles of tubing so everything lines up.

I will make it a point to post my airbox by the weekend. My biggest thing was to cut away from the Engine best I can. I took the bottom of the Air Box, and cut 4 roughly 2''x 2'' squares into the passenger side of the box. The only part that im not thrilled with at the moment, is that the mount where the air box sits - there is a plastic wall persay shielding the new air inlets. The truck def sounds louder for sure, but curious if the air flow is a noticable increase. I havent had an change in MPG, and honestly cant tell if im experiencing a placebo effect when i romp the gas

OP
OP
Big Green

Big Green

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quite welcome. I haven't observed a change in gas mileage either way. Looking forward to seeing your take on it.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I've used small aluminum clothes dryer tubing to duct the air box's to cooler air. I like it because it bends and holds its shape. You can stick it in the hole and then bend over the edges to hold it into place.

I don't have a Ram so I haven't tried it on one. I did it this way because no CAI was designed for the vehicle and I didn't want the intake mufflers it had BEFORE the filter. Sure loved hearing that intake honk.

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
100_7851.jpg

100_7850.jpg

100_7855.jpg

100_7856.jpg

OP
OP
Big Green

Big Green

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very nice! Where did you get the parts to connect it to that kit's heat shield? That looks pretty solid. Most of the plumbing I've seen on these doesn't look that secure, but I like what you did there.

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I would love to know how you have that tubing routed in the in the engine bay down the the front of the bumper !.

only thing that concerns me is water, cause occationally there are areas where i live flood a significant amount, and having a truck is conveinent to drive through compared to stupid prius's lol.

from a performance stand point thats a great idea for sure !

JohnHenry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
I love thinking outside of the box. Keep on with it.... unless your rich or have a bunch of free money, then keep buying high dollar items. For me its all about money. I would love to cam out for a lopin' Dodge, Longtubed, tuned right, just sitting at the red light almost stalling out from the lopes.... then green light go, tires spinning posied out screaming you can't compete!

Okay sorry day dream. lol! I did take a kitty litter plastic container and cut it to fit a Honda I had once..... painted it and put a spectre air filter with spectre tubing to the throttle body. It looked fancy enough and surely was just like a cold air kit. I'll find pictures of it if anyone cares to see. It was in my poorer days.

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well i used as dryer heater tube lol sprayed with plasti dip and a toilet flange THATS RIGHT ha ha lol and as far as water i drove from Louisiana to ga a 5 hour drive in pouring rain, when i stopped to get gas it was still bone dry.

Ill post up some pics tonight on how its ran

CashDollarJack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is some great ingenuity... This place is awesome! I feel like a kid in a candy store. Thanks you guys for all the wisdom and thought you put into everything you do.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Well i used as dryer heater tube lol sprayed with plasti dip and a toilet flange THATS RIGHT ha ha lol and as far as water i drove from Louisiana to ga a 5 hour drive in pouring rain, when i stopped to get gas it was still bone dry.

Ill post up some pics tonight on how its ran

THAT is what I was talking about above... I didn't have to paint it because it was buried and not able to be seen, but same idea!!!

Chris

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This thread takes me back.
I used the metal dryer tubing to route cold air up the airbox of my '87 VW Fox. It was the fastest damn 89hp car you ever saw :bowroflwerd6:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshuarb87