Mopar Valve Covers...need some help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Okay so I have the mopar head covers, the black with the fins on it. I know Iv seen a couple people on here with them as well.

My problem is when I got them put on, I dont think the guy used the grommets that came with the covers from hughes, because he didnt think they fit..well I came to find out today that the pcv grommet and the plug on the other valve cover..are both seeping oil out..quite a good amount to..Im gonna have to do a oil change earlier then I should because I have lost such a big amount..

What should I do? I called hughes and he said its the first set that hes gotten a call about with a problem like this and that they sell alot of em. He said I could just buy the grommets from them for 9 bucks..so should I just buy those and try them?

A guy my dad knows seems to think that ill "never find the right size grommets with that after market stuff".

This is obviously a pretty large problem to be seeping oil not only because it makes a huge mess but because the engine needs to oil...

Thanks for any suggestions and help.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'd try changing the grommets first. The pcv valve and crankcase breather should be snug in there. Most parts stores sell replacement grommets in the help section

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
have any idea what the right size might be? im so damn frustrated about this crapola.

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Try going to pep boys and pick up everything you need and do it yourself its not that hard.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I hope you got this problem fixed...

but if you didn't, let me ask you....did you reuse your stock grommets?

Because I don't believe they'll work. Farking Hughes, guys that consider themselves "Mopar experts" should have a better answer.

If you haven't fixed this yet, do me a favor. Measure the holes. If they are 1 1/8 or 1-1/4 diameter, that isn't a standard Mopar size. But you can get grommets from any aftermarket source. Grommets for other aftermarket covers are the correct diameter.

You'll have to run a chivy PCV valve and a press in breather with the smog tube outlet. Or a regular press in breather.

As far as the grommets, someone used to make one with a slot cut in it for the pcv/breather, or you can buy "plugs" and slot them yourself.

I hope this helps. It's been a long time since I've done this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
thanks okie, was hoping you'd chime in. I havnt fixed it yet because of work but iv stopped driving my truck till I fix it.

I'll get you those measurements.

Tapatalk Addict

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I've been on vacation and away from the puter.

BTW...I was thinking here. On those covers, each side has a twist in cap that will end up being mirror imaged from the other. So your drivers side will have the twist cap where your old oil filler was, and then a hole for either a PCV or breather. That will be where your factory breather was. I believe on 97's that the pcv is on the pass side correct? Does the hose for it run to the drivers side of the intake or go into the pass side? That determines how best to fab up a functioning system.

On the passenger side, the twist in cap will be closest to the fire wall, so you'll need an old school twist in breather there. There's nothing availible to cover that hole for a PCV valve,

BUT Furd use to make a breather cap that you could put a PCV valve in. It would probably be a 1970's listing :). That is if you want to mess with it. I personally like to confound people by putting shyte together like this. Again it depends on which side of the intake manifold the pcv hose runs to.

But back to the passenger side. You can put a plug in the hole that is up front on the cover.

EDIT: Found this p/n while cruising the net. It's the the proper gommets for cast covers. Too bad the "experts" at Hughes didn't tell you that.

Grommet set: P5007052 runs 8.00 through Mopartsracing http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/ram.html

Last edited: