Help please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAM25004x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi so i have a 2016 ram 2500 4x4,
Im need some help and wondering what problems you been having.
So i bought this truck used. I have put about 4 to 5 sets of tires on it since i have owned it. Thats been with in about 50,000 miles.
I am having front end problems that keeps eating tires. I found that my shocks where bad and sway bar bushing where dry. Ive put a dull steering stabilizer. Also replaced the factory drag link. I’ve had two or three alignment done on it since replacing all the parts that I have.
Just order ball joint to replace because im sitting at 160,000 miles.
Few thing to note about this pickup. Its got a cm Flat bed on it with a 90 gallon fuel cell. Along with a montezuma tool box which is fully loaded with tools. The front of pickup has a full front replacement. I’m looking at potentially doing aftermarket coils to add a little extra carrying capacity to try to offset some of the weight of the flatbed and the front and the fuel cell and toolbox. The tire where is pattern I get on the on the front is coupping
My reasoning for writing this post is, I guess I’m curious if any of y’all have been having the same issue and if so, what time does his helped to correct it?

Edit part of the reason I think it’s a weight distribution issue, my best friend has identical truck to mine as far as year make model and even mileage. Only big difference is mine has the flat bed. And then my front replaced is larger then his. Other then that there no difference.

IMG_6565.jpeg

Last edited:

zrock

Reaction score
find a new shop... obviously they do not have a clue what they are doing or even looking for bad parts.. I had issues with my alignment 5 in under a year and a set of tires. But mine was due to the air suspension leaking down when in alignment mode and the shop doing the work not giving a **** to find the issue.. Took it to another shop and they told me what it was right a way and we solved the isssue

OP
OP
R

RAM25004x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So thats the thing, and also Iv been in a auto repair for about 7 years now. Theres nothing on my Truck that shows any signs of wear. Wheel bearing and hub assemblies got replaced about 10,000 miles ago…. As far as a alignment, Shops iv used 3 different trusted shops with great reputation in the area. I was kinda thinking maybe need to set my alignment specs differently from stock OEM specification. Due to the heavy load it has. And you can tell there’s definitely a lot of extra weight because you drive a stock one versus mine, and you just feel kind of sluggish off of the start because of the weight.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Might want to pull up the Thuren Alignment Specifications. Many guys report great success using those settings on 2500 and 3500 Rams. First time I get my 2500 aligned I intend to use Thuren's specs.

Last edited:

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When did you replace the shocks in relation to when you replaced tires? Did you go through several sets of tires prior to replacing the shocks? Asking because worn out shocks can cause bad cupping on the front tires. I've seen it many times including my previous truck. Put a new set of tires on it and had obvious cupping within 2,000 miles. Rotated the tires front to back and again noticed the fronts starting to up after a few thousands miles. Found the factory shocks were shot and replaced them. After that I put 40,000 miles on those same tires with perfectly even wear.

OP
OP
R

RAM25004x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I would say the first 2 to 3 sets where with original shocks. And i can confirm they definitely where no good. Replace shocked with a “heavy” capacity shock. And new set tires then about 2000 or so cupping. Shocks still stiff and good shape. Then the truck sat for about 3 months- shocks no good. So i got the 5100 series shocks and new set of tires again. And now starting to cupping again. The drag link dual steering stabilizer. Swaybar bushings, and the new shocks where installed then got a new set of tires, and took it straight to the alignment shop. This last set of tires I’ve gotten maybe 3000 before they started cupping.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
So I would say the first 2 to 3 sets where with original shocks. And i can confirm they definitely where no good. Replace shocked with a “heavy” capacity shock. And new set tires then about 2000 or so cupping. Shocks still stiff and good shape. Then the truck sat for about 3 months- shocks no good. So i got the 5100 series shocks and new set of tires again. And now starting to cupping again. The drag link dual steering stabilizer. Swaybar bushings, and the new shocks where installed then got a new set of tires, and took it straight to the alignment shop. This last set of tires I’ve gotten maybe 3000 before they started cupping.
Something is way off here. How did brand new shocks go bad in under 3,000 miles?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Over-inflating tires can cause scalloping, etc... Something to check

Could be a bad balance job. 95% of tire techs will cleaverly short-cut a "good" balance job and you won't know unless you're standing right there to chaperone the job...and hit the STOP button when they're about to do something stupid. When's the last time you saw a tire tech check for out-of-round tire? Or truly check for a bent rim. You can't even turn your back on them to make a call or check a text. Trust me on that.

Once tires break-in to a certain balance (or bounce) they're set for life..
Cheap parts (like hubs) often come pre-warped for the factory. That'll cause tires to wobble, etc.

OP
OP
R

RAM25004x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think they where an O’Reillys brand,
And i know for a fact that my trucks heavy. Because when you take off it feals like you have a trailer on.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
...I think they where an O’Reillys brand,

You might put a dial indicator on your truck rims just to rule any wobble out.

The last warped hubs I had *actually* were from OReilly's. Not kidding, I've articulated it in older posts. Warped out of the box. Doesn't mean anything in your case. Fluke parts happen. One more thing to look into.

Davis MacD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After my alignment my truck was catching and following groves in the asphalt. I looked at the paperwork and saw that the adjustment numbers did not match on the left and right wheels. I watched the shop reset my alignment and they reset the toed-in wheel with the wack of a hammer. they tightened it up and said it was within range after a measurement. I was back in the shop 5 minutes later telling the manager they made no attempt to digitally align my truck. They just slapped it to "within tolerances". I pointed out the new oversized tires & front lift kit that demand the front end be "set" not slapped into position. It was fixed 15 minutes later.

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Get it aligned to Thuren specs and rotate your tires often
I get 50k out of 37s with even wear
Also,what tires are you running,and what's the load rating on them?

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi so i have a 2016 ram 2500 4x4,
Im need some help and wondering what problems you been having.
So i bought this truck used. I have put about 4 to 5 sets of tires on it since i have owned it. Thats been with in about 50,000 miles.
I am having front end problems that keeps eating tires. I found that my shocks where bad and sway bar bushing where dry. Ive put a dull steering stabilizer. Also replaced the factory drag link. I’ve had two or three alignment done on it since replacing all the parts that I have.
Just order ball joint to replace because im sitting at 160,000 miles.
Few thing to note about this pickup. Its got a cm Flat bed on it with a 90 gallon fuel cell. Along with a montezuma tool box which is fully loaded with tools. The front of pickup has a full front replacement. I’m looking at potentially doing aftermarket coils to add a little extra carrying capacity to try to offset some of the weight of the flatbed and the front and the fuel cell and toolbox. The tire where is pattern I get on the on the front is coupping
My reasoning for writing this post is, I guess I’m curious if any of y’all have been having the same issue and if so, what time does his helped to correct it?

Edit part of the reason I think it’s a weight distribution issue, my best friend has identical truck to mine as far as year make model and even mileage. Only big difference is mine has the flat bed. And then my front replaced is larger then his. Other then that there no difference.

View attachment 528646
Check it for possible wreck and frame damage Sonething is major wrong

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357