More audio questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so i got a lil tax $ back and i wanna upgrade my stereo...Its the basic am/fm/cd/sat radio with u connect...
I have been reading alot of stuff here but just as i think i got a handle on some of the info i end up getting lost again...
I called my local dealer for a price on the kicker mopar upgrade($2200)..OUCH...I just email crutchfield for info on above set up and kicker site doesnt show me a price and now i sit twiddleing my thubs and no further ahead than i was before reading a ton of threads..

WTF is this dbl din stuff,all the different #400"s i see being used in regards of head units

1/4/8 ohms stuff,hell i thought i had 4 6x9 speakers in my truck and now im not sure,are they 2/3/4 way...
IM SSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOO lost..

I dont know what im doin so im askin the stereo guys here to point me in a direction without spending 2g..

Last edited:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Din info: ISO 7736 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 400/700#s you see thrown around are our stock head unit codes. The higher the Number, the "fancier" the stereo. anything ending with an 'n' means it has navigation built in.

Most aftermarket car speakers are 4ohm which is typically what head units are rated to drive. A lower number- 2ohms, means it has half the impedance of a 4ohm speaker, but it will be twice the work for an amplifier to power. An 8 ohm speaker would take half the effort to power.

A 6x9 with just a big oval woofer cone would be a "1-way". If it has a smaller tweeter in the middle it is a 2-way. Some have 2 tweeters or even a super tweeter, tweeter, midrange AND the 6x9 for a 4-way speaker.......

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Ohms is the measure of resistance. Speakers can be 4, 6, 8 and more ohms.

DIN is the size of a normal radio double din is twice that size. I believe there are din and a halfs too... lol

Why Crutchfield? If you don't know what you're doing, have it done professionally. Any good car audio house will more than likely help you understand what's what and guide you correctly.

Don't go to a big box store like BestBuy and what not. Find a local Car Audio place.

Good luck!
Chris

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What he said^^^^ if its a subject that really interest you I think there is a haynes maunal out there for basic car audio for beginners. A lot of things will make more sense if you read something like that.

OP
OP
craigsez

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ohms is the measure of resistance. Speakers can be 4, 6, 8 and more ohms.

DIN is the size of a normal radio double din is twice that size. I believe there are din and a halfs too... lol

Why Crutchfield? If you don't know what you're doing, have it done professionally. Any good car audio house will more than likely help you understand what's what and guide you correctly.

Don't go to a big box store like BestBuy and what not. Find a local Car Audio place.

Good luck!
Chris

I used crutchfield cause i saw that name tossed around,figured it was agood as any starting point..

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been reading alot of stuff here but just as i think i got a handle on some of the info i end up getting lost again...
I called my local dealer for a price on the kicker mopar upgrade($2200)..OUCH...I just email crutchfield for info on above set up and kicker site doesnt show me a price and now i sit twiddleing my thubs and no further ahead than i was before reading a ton of threads..

WTF is this dbl din stuff,all the different #400"s i see being used in regards of head units

1/4/8 ohms stuff,hell i thought i had 4 6x9 speakers in my truck and now im not sure,are they 2/3/4 way...
IM SSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOO lost..

I dont know what im doin so im askin the stereo guys here to point me in a direction without spending 2g..

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I can wire them I just don't know what goes good together.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
The others answered your questions so I'm gonna throw out my opinion.
Don't mod a truck with credit cards. You're gonna pay 3 times as much in the long run.
I hate credit cards...don't even have one. I've seen too many people get nuts with them doing mods....I'd hate to see you go down that road.

Mulls1234

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also I would get multiple quotes from different audio shops and compare them, defiantly wouldn't jump on the first one unless you know the person personally.

gmzvip23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2k12
Engine
The others answered your questions so I'm gonna throw out my opinion.
Don't mod a truck with credit cards. You're gonna pay 3 times as much in the long run.
I hate credit cards...don't even have one. I've seen too many people get nuts with them doing mods....I'd hate to see you go down that road.

i came in here to post the same thing about credit cards. I saw the he was talking about all the line of credits and stuff.

OP
OP
craigsez

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
UNBROKEN......lol don't know why I even mentioned my visa and line of credit..lol..Guess I got so caught up in tryin to figure this stereo **** out that I was actually thinkin outloud...
Not worried about the money issue anyways cause I'm doin back taxes and gettin a wee bit of a return wink wink..that's my play money for the truck...did up a few yrs of taxes last yr and two more this year and got back about 25g...Bills all paid, bike and most of my race mods paid and put $ down when I bought this trk last june..

Truck aint gettin much for mods, a lil blingage and basic bolt on power stuff...

OP
OP
craigsez

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also I would get multiple quotes from different audio shops and compare them, defiantly wouldn't jump on the first one unless you know the person personally.

The dodge dealer was my first portion of my search cause I say the kicker kit as a diy option cause its basically plug n play..
I just got back from an audio shop who quoted me 2650 tax and installed with different gear that he sez will out shine the kicker (yeah I know its sales talk)..Basically all the same options with install and door deadening stupp tax out the door...
Ill have to post the details when I get home and let you fellas tell me if its to much or low quality gear..

OP
OP
craigsez

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok here is what a local audio shop offered...hope i get the #'s correct,hard to read his quote info..
jl sub box sb-d-qdram(i think he wants 680 for that)jl stealth box
kfcx 1730p speakers..199.00 kenwood
kfcx 184c(not sure if thats the correct #)179.00 and i think its a w03 10" jl sub
x7005 kenwood amp..350.00
amp kit 79.00
reg 5(no clue what it is)195.00
rcatb17 rca 24.00
rcatb3 10
pac lc1 i think its a remote 25.00

total on my quote sheet is 1765
labour(all day) 445
sound deadening
tax out the door 2650

What are your thoughts on prices and product quality...Prices are canadian

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok here is where google is going to be your friend. I would start looking at reviews and prices of this stuff, everything is negotiable ya know and if the guy will deal with you the better. I've never been a huge fan of Kenwood but I know people that like it and says it sounds decent in low budget builds. Just do lots of homework on what you are buying thats the best adivice that I can give from my experiences.

OP
OP
craigsez

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just figured that someone out there with personal use and info on these items would shoot it down or say its decient gear..

that white kid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would look more into those speakers i havent really herd that good of things about kenwoods speakers but there head units are awsome

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was meaning as another avenue for finding info is using google. To me that is an aweful lot of money to spend on mediocre setup. If you can install at all by yourself see what that $2500 bucks gets ya.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
installing audio isn't all that complicated if you do some research. There are a lot of knowledgable guys on here that i hope would help answer questions. If you wanted to save money and install yourself, don't try to do the whole install at once as that can be overwhelming.

Savfil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 - SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm just gonna add my 2 cents here. I would highly recommend doing a lot of research on car audio installation before you decide to go and spend the dough on components and end up unhappy with the sound or look.

For me, I wanted better sound quality in my quad cab. I started by adding Kicker KS35 ($45.00 CAD on Crutchfield.ca) to the front dash area, then I wend on ebay and found a sealed box (120 bucks or so with shipping,) and a 10" Polk Audio sub (cheaper model, $65 or so) and added a 400 watt pioneer amp (100 bucks or so from walmart) and I had it all hooked up to high level inputs in about 3 hours.. the hardest part was getting the positive power cable through the firewall lol. Now I'm looking into a head unit, because I don't like the limited sound options on the stock one, but I'll wait a while and do a ton of research before I pick one out, as I understand that for 2din dash modification is required.