Mounting aux. lights in RAM front bumper tow hook cut-outs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric Stewartson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello from rainy Vancouver, Canada:

I have a new-to-me 2017 RAM 1500 Limited I want to add 3rd-party auxiliary lights to (front bumper). After some research I've determined the most logical mounting location is the bumper cut-outs for the two tow hooks once they're removed.

At the moment, I'm considering Rigid Industries' D-XL Pro (4" x 4") D Series Pro (4" x 3") or D-SS-Pro (4" x 3") Driving Lights for the add-ons. However, as I'm not familiar with the metalwork inside the cut-outs, can someone tell me or recommend to me the best place to mount the lights within the cavities? And I'm assuming a "Heavy Duty" mounting system (post) is the logical way to go?

Thanks for any offered ideas.

Cheers,

Eric S.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

I have a new-to-me 2017 RAM 1500 Limited I want to add 3rd-party auxiliary lights to (front bumper). After some research I've determined the most logical mounting location is the bumper cut-outs for the two tow hooks once they're removed.

At the moment, I'm considering Rigid Industries' D-XL Pro (4" x 4") D Series Pro (4" x 3") or D-SS-Pro (4" x 3") Driving Lights for the add-ons. However, as I'm not familiar with the metalwork inside the cut-outs, can someone tell me or recommend to me the best place to mount the lights within the cavities? And I'm assuming a "Heavy Duty" mounting system (post) is the logical way to go?

Cheers,

Eric S.
Do you mean similar to this?
c95489c0930d1ec9b52bc0d77068a479.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

Eric Stewartson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"Keepemrollin14":

Nope. My 1500's bumper is solid where your light bar sits plus I'm leaning toward "pod" lights instead of a bar (the lamps will be used for on-road purposes mostly). Instead, I want to use the space currently occupied by the tow hooks once I take them off.

Thanks though! At least your photo shows the tow hooks are bolted in from the front which is of help.

Cheers,

Eric S.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
"Keepemrollin14":

Nope. My 1500's bumper is solid where your light bar sits plus I'm leaning toward "pod" lights instead of a bar (the lamps will be used for on-road purposes mostly). Instead, I want to use the space currently occupied by the tow hooks once I take them off.

Thanks though! At least your photo shows the tow hooks are bolted in from the front which is of help.

Cheers,

Eric S.

Ahh ok well sorry I wasnt much of a help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

Cheers,

Eric S.
Vision X makes a better light. Check out the light cannons. Miles ahead of Rigid industries

Blue Mule

Scott S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have mounting advice but for turning them on and off I would suggest using the homelink buttons mounted in the overhead console. Grab a RF switch and program it to a homelink button. You can program most so 1 press turns them on and one more press turns them off or so they are only on while pressed or set to one button on and off to another.

Then use the RF switch to activate a secondary relay (bosch type headlight relay would be a good choice) mounted up front that switches direct battery power that will handle the load of the lamps. Be sure to add a fuse at the battery side of the power circuit.

Select a power source to power the RF switch that matches how you want them to operate. For example you may want to use a source that is only hot when the key is on so they do not accidentally get left on when you leave the truck. The RF switch will only be used to trigger a secondary heavier relay so the load to it is lite.

You can use the output side of the RF switch to have an indicator light indicate light on or off status. You could mount it somewhere convenient.

If you bought a multi unit you could program up all of your homelink buttons to do something different.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Diode Dynamics makes a bolt in led light bar, had them on my 2015, comes with brackets and harness, and switch.

20171216_165213.jpg

20171216_171552.jpg

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6

Hello from equally-rainy Oregon...

My 2017 has the same solid bumper style yours does, I suspect; no built-in fog light cutouts, solid across the front...

You can put in lights in those holes, certainly. The plastic covers are held in with a couple of bolts apiece, and there are those handy tow-hook brackets to hold whatever you care to fabricate for your impromptu fog lights. Just one bit (due to updates that popped in while I was typing this :) ):

If you ever decide in the future to add a bull bar or grille guard, your new fog lights will have to come out, since most bull-bar/grille-guard assemblies utilize and connect to the frame strongpoints where the tow hooks normally go.

zacbar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Diode Dynamics kit is the way to go. It's a tight space and most LED pods don't fit there easily

OP
OP
E

Eric Stewartson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Afternoon from still-raining Vancouver B.C. Noah would LOVE this place!

A quick update to my aux. lights post/query .... After further research and in consideration of the suggestions from those who responded (many thanks!), I purchased a pair of Rigid Industries D Series Pro ("Dually XL") driving lights and had them installed in the two tow-hook cavities. The hooks and their plastic surrounds came out very easily and the lights nicely fit the spaces. They are wired so that they can be operated with or independently of the high beams. And boy, do they light up the landscape! A bit brighter than I was expecting but better to have "more" than "less."

While I was at it, I had a pair of Rigid's "Ignite" LEDs mounted under the rear bumper adjacent to the receiver. (I had noticed the OEM reverse bulbs weren't casting a lot of light behind the RAM's rear.) These little guys throw a lot of illumination behind the truck now, and folks approaching me while I'm backing the 1500 out of the garage (I'm in a town-house complex) plainly see me and stop (at night, due to poorer street lighting and the RAM's dark colour, I don't stand out). A great safety addition! They are wired to work with or without the OEM reverse lights being on.

Great stuff!

Cheers,

EAS