MSD installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
So I started this install when I did my kegger mod and just now got around to finishing it. I have noticed a bit of a difference mostly in MPG gained almost 2 MPG. Now to start savein money up for the Hueghs F1 airgap and a SCT tuner, then headers and maybe this summer deff next winter a compleat rebuild on the 318 with a cam swap.

Attachments

• Photo03131236.jpg
    Photo03131236.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 457

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
you can get the msd strretfire ign box for about 120$. not there top of the line but a good bang for the buck. its what i am using. its also very small in size.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
2 mpg increase huh? that's interesting...

Tapatalk Addict

OP
OP
Hotroder383

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't honestly say ram15, all these parts I had layin around the shop from past builds. I don't think they even make the MSD 5 any more, not worth buyin now anyway. The MSD 6A has come down in price so much or even the street fire as said above.
And yes Just south of 2 MPG, math was 1.8XXX BUT I also did the kegger mod and fixed a vacum leak. So to be honest I would have to say if your JUST putting the MSD on I don't know if you would see the same results.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
well I have a cai, 50 mm tb, air gap, and tuner so I was thinking might give me some similar results

Tapatalk Addict

OP
OP
Hotroder383

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have always had good results with MSD ran a few MSD6AL's and Blaster coils, now with this MSD 5 and Blaster 2. Tuner is my next purchase, hopefully for my birthday in April, lookin at the SCT for multi tunes, one for my setup now and one for when I rebuild the engine with cam specs, intake, etc.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I have a blaster coil from them, never thought about getting a ignition box but now that I think about it, I could probley really use it. Even with a tune up, my truck still takes a couple seconds longer to start if I havnt ran it in 12 hours or more. Hmm..think Ill have to add this to the list..how hard was your install?

OP
OP
Hotroder383

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Easy, the wiring diagram is simple to follow. You take power and ground to box, cut wires to coil run them to box then run wires from box to coil. all done, find a dry place under hood or inside cab use rubber under the box to soften the shock and viberation and make sure you seal your connections like I didnt do in my pic LOL I actually forgot untill I posted, looked at the pic and went "You dumb ****"

nussdawg395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I am debating this when i do my plenum repair. I saw the summit ignition box and it thought i might try that as a budget build.

2 mpgs is pretty sweet tho!