New Standard Lifters (MDS DELETE) Not pumping up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Custom350Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
2011 Ram 1500 5.7L - 228K Miles: I just completed the installation of an MDS Delete kit from Texas Speed, with stock cam and lifters, because of the known Hemi lifter issues. Mine had begun to eat the the cam lobes on 2 cylinders. As part of my rebuild, I replaced the the full timing set, oil pump, water pump, and heads with new valves and springs due to severe pitting.

I was an ASE Ford tech for 8 years back in the 90's. I have build performance cars and trucks of all types for 30 years, but this is my first Hemi (not that my question is Hemi specific actually).

The truck sat disassembled for nearly 2 months as life pulled me away from it. Anyway, I started the truck today after getting everything reassembled, it started fine, had 20 seconds of engine "rattle" until the oil made its way through the engine (oil pressure was great). But, I'm left with a pronounced tick, mostly on the drivers side. I started and stopped the truck a couple times with the longest run time being about 90 seconds. The tick never changed or diminished. I ended up pulling the drivers side valve cover off to see if possibly (and I triple checked the push rods being seated on the install) a push rod or two were out, but all were fine. What I noticed immediately was that only 2 of the rockers had pressurized (#1 exhaust, and #4 intake) the rest of the rockers were all still loose - lifters not pressurized. I checked the torque on the rocker shafts and it was good. There was very little oil visible on head.

So the question is, how long do we feel it would be safe to run the truck with this issue, to see if they will pump up? Lack of lubrication is a quick death to moving metal parts, yes.

I've been thinking through the entire rebuild, wondering about other possible scenarios, before pulling it all apart because there is no other option - looking for some input from other car/truck enthusiasts. Thanks everyone.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
2011 Ram 1500 5.7L - 228K Miles: I just completed the installation of an MDS Delete kit from Texas Speed, with stock cam and lifters, because of the known Hemi lifter issues. Mine had begun to eat the the cam lobes on 2 cylinders. As part of my rebuild, I replaced the the full timing set, oil pump, water pump, and heads with new valves and springs due to severe pitting.

I was an ASE Ford tech for 8 years back in the 90's. I have build performance cars and trucks of all types for 30 years, but this is my first Hemi (not that my question is Hemi specific actually).

The truck sat disassembled for nearly 2 months as life pulled me away from it. Anyway, I started the truck today after getting everything reassembled, it started fine, had 20 seconds of engine "rattle" until the oil made its way through the engine (oil pressure was great). But, I'm left with a pronounced tick, mostly on the drivers side. I started and stopped the truck a couple times with the longest run time being about 90 seconds. The tick never changed or diminished. I ended up pulling the drivers side valve cover off to see if possibly (and I triple checked the push rods being seated on the install) a push rod or two were out, but all were fine. What I noticed immediately was that only 2 of the rockers had pressurized (#1 exhaust, and #4 intake) the rest of the rockers were all still loose - lifters not pressurized. I checked the torque on the rocker shafts and it was good. There was very little oil visible on head.

So the question is, how long do we feel it would be safe to run the truck with this issue, to see if they will pump up? Lack of lubrication is a quick death to moving metal parts, yes.

I've been thinking through the entire rebuild, wondering about other possible scenarios, before pulling it all apart because there is no other option - looking for some input from other car/truck enthusiasts. Thanks everyone.
It's been known to take upwards of 10 minutes for the lifters to pump up in a Hemi,they're oiled backasswards from most engines,and are only fed oil through the pushrods.I wouldn't worry to much about it ,take it for a boot around the block and get the revs up a bit,if they're still rattling after that,you might have a dud lifter.You did use OEM lifters i hope,the cheaper after market lifters have a terrible rep,especially the ones from Texas Speed.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
It's been known to take upwards of 10 minutes for the lifters to pump up in a Hemi,they're oiled backasswards from most engines,and are only fed oil through the pushrods.I wouldn't worry to much about it ,take it for a boot around the block and get the revs up a bit,if they're still rattling after that,you might have a dud lifter.You did use OEM lifters i hope,the cheaper after market lifters have a terrible rep,especially the ones from Texas Speed.
I'm afraid he said Texas Speed MSD delete kit.
But then title says solid lifters.....kinda hard to pump those up

OP
OP
C

Custom350Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It was a set from Texas Speed, and solid was wrong choice of description - Just non-MDS would have been enough.
Thanks guys - I'm happy to hear your thoughts. I'll put it back together and take a short drive around the neighborhood.

SpikeTX42

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The lifters from Texas Speed are the issue. The 'OE' style they add to the description is misleading. They have a hole drilled in them close to the roller that allows the oil pressure to bleed off when the lifter is at peak lift. Currently replacing these lifters with the Mopar non-MDS lifters to fix the ticking issue. It's a shame TSP still sells these lifters.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat