Mudding in a 2x4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xV8Magnumx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8 Magnum

Hello, I have a 1999 Ram 1500 Sport, 2x4. And lately, a lot of my friends have been taking there 4x4's out and having some fun. I just want to know if there is any suggestions on if I could do this or not, any recommendations on what I should, and shouldn't do, Feedback would be appreciated. Thank you!39879662.jpg

92greenlx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I've seen 2x4s do ok as long as you have a locker of some sort out back. Get some aggressive tires and lift the truck. Then just make sure u have some recovery points and always take another 4x4 out with you just in case u get stuck.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

OP
OP
xV8Magnumx

xV8Magnumx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8 Magnum
Thank you, I have new tires ready to put on, and thinking about an decent lift, But I'll always have a 4x4 out there with me.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I'd say ride with a 4x4 or be a recovery vehicle if somebody needs a tow. A lift won't do you any good, and tires can only do so much.

If you do go out and get in mud, you have to be very picky about what lines you take. If you see somebody struggle through with 4x4, be sure and skip that hole because you won't get very far. The last thing you want is to be the guy that your friends are having to pull out constantly.

ramman54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Something to consider....can you afford to get the truck towed out ? Can you afford repairs to your truck or to any recovery vehicle? I have been called out numerous times to help get out a 4x4 and have been stuck a few times myself. I've seen heavy steel bumpers get tweaked, axles pulled off, etc. Seen where 3 trucks couldn't free 1 stuck truck and a tractor finally had to be used ($$) and once a h.d. tow truck called out ($$$$). Mud creats suction which fights against you. I once had a ford f150 2x4 with off road tires and locker. It did fine until I had to turn. It immediately sunk up to the axle. It took the 2 4x4s with me, 4 guys digging and about 3 hours time to get free. I used to carry recovery straps, chains, folding shovels, wood blocks & carpet strips. I won't go thru mud more than a few inches deep if possible. Reason I tell you this is so that you'll seriously consider the potential problems you may encounter.

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a lift, good mud tires, anchor points or tow hooks front and rear and a LSD or locker unit in the rear. Using your head, don't go alone, taking the right path and use the air pressure in your tires to assist you in certain soil conditions and you will amaze yourself what crap you can go through. I have been through mud in 2wd that I thought never happen. These truck capibilities can surprise the heck out ya. Off roading in a capable 2wd can be a lot of fun but like said, be smart about where you go and don't be that guy that needs to constantly be pulled out, know your limits.

Last edited:
OP
OP
xV8Magnumx

xV8Magnumx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8 Magnum
Thank you, for all of the suggestions, but I realize what I'd be getting myself into. I'd never go alone, Besides, It's no fun playing in the dirt alone. I'd of course always have to watch where I'm going, not to get myself in to deep. 103_0032.jpg

103_0031.jpg

103_0030.jpg

103_0029.jpg
Although, this is my truck after 10 years of sitting outside after I bought it off my Father, I'll look into Tow straps, shovels, just the basic stuff before I actually get into it. Thanks again.
~Zachary Taylor

Aluminum

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
5.9L Magnum V8
Be sure you have good tires!!! Thats the most important! Other than that maybe look into a Detroit True Tac or maybe a Locker if your serious about offroading. A 2x4 can do anything with the right driver and maybe look into adding some weight in the back.

mumbles84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
really wide tire are your only shot narrow ones you will sink at 12inch wide any less you will be pissed and not having any fun allready try this that why i buy 4x4 now

big shrek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mudding without a winch is just asking for trouble...
put together a full haul-out kit, as was mentioned above in your truck box...

Its not a matter of IF you will get stuck/buried,but WHEN.

I ran a '78 Dodge Powerwagon w/ 33"tires for years with a big Warn Winch, sure helped pull a lot of folks out ;)
Not to mention being a whole lot less work...

steveo112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
I have a 2x4 and ive gone mudding with it. It works you just gotta know how to drive in mud. when I had my 4x4 I would go in 2wd anyway so that when I get stuck I can just pop it in 4wd and get out. but yeah I would get a lift and put better tires on it for mudding.

4x4Dave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tires are the key, i took a 3/4 ton chevy with mud tires and it did fine. as long as you dont bottom out the tires should be enough to either keep the momentum or at least you can rock back and forth. but you wont be able to turn youll be following the ruts. but why not its a truck!