N icon on 4WD switch.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram06_1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Excuse my ignorance. I’m not much of a 4WD guy. I’ve driven cars my whole life. I’m assuming before going into any gear high or low, you’re supposed to have the transmission in neutrAl? I’m specifically speaking electronic knob. Is that what the “N” icon is on lower left on knob?. Basically reminding driver to put transmission in neutral before selecting transfer case? If that’s the case can you put on 4WD high say if your cruising at 15mph and detect a bit of slip but still maintains that speed. If your at a red light and in drive can you just dial into 4WD or do you have to put in neutral?

7B0A2050-BF5C-4750-AE52-C6B86BB5E63C.jpeg

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
IIRC It's to disengage the axles for flat towing

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Yes you can shift between 2 and 4hi without stopping. You don't even need to put the transmission in neutral if you are moving. Switching in and out of 4lo you should be stopped with transmission in neutral. The netrual button is to put transfer case in neutral for being towed. You don't normally need to use.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Switching in and out of 4lo you should be stopped with transmission in neutral.
You don't need to be stopped completely, it's usually smoother if your slightly rolling (less than 5 mph) when shifting in/out of low range.

OP
OP
R

Ram06_1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The knob does not turn to the left on that “N” indicator. My assumption is the arrow aiming to column shift to place in neutral before selecting high or low. Am I wrong?

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop. Shift automatic transmission into PARK.
2. Turn OFF the engine.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position, but do not start the engine.
4. Press and hold the brake pedal.
5. Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.
6. Press and hold the transfer case NEUTRAL button (located by the selector switch). The NEUTRAL indicatorlight will blink while the shift is in progress. The light will stop blinking (stay on solid) when the shift to NEUTRAL is complete.
7. After the shift is completed and the NEUTRAL light stays on, release the NEUTRAL button.
8. Start the engine.
9. Shift the transmission into REVERSE.
10. Release the brake pedal for five seconds and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.
11. Repeat steps 9 and 10 with transmission in DRIVE.
12. Turn OFF the engine.
13. Firmly apply the parking brake.
14. Shift the transmission into PARK
15. Remove the key fob from the ignition switch.
16. Attach the vehicle to the tow vehicle using a suitable tow bar.
17. Release the parking brake.

There is usually a switch near the selector that says neutral. I believe with yours you push in the knob.

Last edited:

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 'N' is used strictly for when the vehicle is being towed. It disengages the transmission.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
You don't need to be stopped completely, it's usually smoother if your slightly rolling (less than 5 mph) when shifting in/out of low range.
Agree, but too many people don't know what under 5mph means so safer to tell them stopped in neutral.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007