NAME THAT WIRE COLOR?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Red Truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
BIG RED TRUCK
1999 DODGE RAM 1500 SPORT QUAD CAB
I bought this new in 99, special ordered with a camel interior. Well worn now 150,000 miles, thought I might trade her in for a new one. STICKER SHOCK !!! Not happening at those prices. So I'm doing a refurbishing. Putting her back together now having come back from paint.

Issue is; I've installed a pair of LED Door Projector Courtesy Puddle Logo Lights. I'm unable to find the correct door jam switch wire. I've tested numerous wires without any success. Almost seems like its some sort on negative trigger to operate/energize it? It should be a simple black to ground and red to 12v when the door opens? Cant wrap my head around it. Help! What am I missing? Thanks to all for any help.

Last edited:

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Typically door switches work on the ground side of the circuit. The dome light has 12v+ to it at all times and giving it a ground at any point in the other side of the circuit lights the light.

OP
OP
Big Red Truck

Big Red Truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thanks for your reply Evil, saw him drive a jet trike with a broken back once in some sort of cast, lots of balls that one. I thought it might be something like that, had an electronic fuse box on a bike I built that had a negative trigger to energize all the systems threw the box. So do I ground the light and connect the + to the ground on the switch? or Logo light ground to switch ground and light plus to the 12v of the dome circuit?