Need Help; cannot find information on changing trans fluid in ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robslaw1969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 automatic transmission
Good morning. can someone please help me? I believe I might have a leak in my transmission fluid case. However, every time i try to look up how to diagnosis and change it, i cannot find my transmission case in any of the diagrams. For example, all the videos show the fill plug above the plastic pan on the driver side with a yellow sticker below it to show where it is. That is not mine. Mine is on the passenger side, and has zero obstructions to get to? how often do you need to change the fluid? Its been running hot, about 190-195 degrees when driving in 90 degree weather. I've had no issues with gears changing. i noticed my trans pan was covered in a black oil like substance, but no my oil pan is not leaking. Oil level has been constant in engine.

I'll add its a 2017 1500 Laramie, full size cap; short bed. 3.6L engine v6 (the E85/gas model) never used E85. Automatic transmission; assume 6 speed not 8 speed.

Thx for any help you can provide.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Good morning. can someone please help me? I believe I might have a leak in my transmission fluid case. However, every time i try to look up how to diagnosis and change it, i cannot find my transmission case in any of the diagrams. For example, all the videos show the fill plug above the plastic pan on the driver side with a yellow sticker below it to show where it is. That is not mine. Mine is on the passenger side, and has zero obstructions to get to? how often do you need to change the fluid? Its been running hot, about 190-195 degrees when driving in 90 degree weather. I've had no issues with gears changing. i noticed my trans pan was covered in a black oil like substance, but no my oil pan is not leaking. Oil level has been constant in engine.

I'll add its a 2017 1500 Laramie, full size cap; short bed. 3.6L engine v6 (the E85/gas model) never used E85. Automatic transmission; assume 6 speed not 8 speed.

You have the 8 speed,they never built a 3.6 truck with out the 8 speed.Do a search on here,there's alot of threads on servicing the 8 speed. The fill plug is on the passenger side ,just above the pan rail.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Your transmission is an 845RE. It’s a Chrysler built clone of the ZF 8HP, 8 speed transmission. The exterior case of the transmissions are identical so information you find on fluid checks or fluid replacement will be the same for either the ZF or Chrysler units. Chrysler states the fluid is a life of the transmission product but ZF recommends changing the fluid at 60K miles. Fluids wear out and degrade performance and protection to internal components. Many here have changed the fluid on both models of this transmission. It’s a bit complicated and the OEM fluid and transmission pan are pricy. Many have found aftermarket fluids and pans that are suitable replacements. The plastic pan is a one use item as the transmission filter is built into it so you’ll need a new pan if you decide to change the fluid. First question is how many miles do you have on the truck? This is a two fold question as you may need both a fluid replacement and a common broken part. If you change your own oil you know the 3.6L uses a cartridge oil filter located in a plastic and aluminum housing located on top of the engine between the valley of the cylinder banks. Those filter housings are well known to leak. It’s not only a filter housing but an oil cooler too and it has antifreeze/coolant running through it. When it breaks/leaks antifreeze or oil or both will leak out into the valley of the motor and pool there until it overflows and runs down the back side of the engine and transmission bell housing creating a oily slick on the bottom of the truck. As an owner of a 3.6L truck myself I’d bet this is your problem if in fact you have no transmission or oil pan leaks. You state you checked the oil level but no change, have you checked the antifreeze level? You can do a crude check for the oil filter housing leak by crawling under the truck and inspecting the bell housing of the transmission for fluid stains or grab a wooden chopstick and insert it down along the sides of the oil filter housing from above the engine. If the chopstick comes back out wet you most likely have a bad oil filter housing. If you’ve never checked this before keep in mind you really have to probe around the filter housing area to get down into the valley of the motor. It’s an obstructed area covered by wires, hoses and the intake plenum so be diligent.