Need help with a oil change situation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Honestly, if you have a gentle drive to the store in the morning just run it with 5qt and throw the rest in ASAP. 5qt is enough to drive it, don't run any high rpm. Promise.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Thanks, I didn’t know if I could put a little on top the cover the 2 qts I didn’t have but I won’t do that lol.

When changing your oil I’ve seen people talking about filling the filter. Never heard of that till recently can you explain that and what it’s for?

Pre-fill argument: You reduce the tiny bit of time it takes to build oil pressure on the first start, in theory reducing some small amount of additional wear.

Anti-pre-fill argument: The oil you are pouring in to pre-fill is on the *wrong side of the filter* and any contaminate you accidentally introduce is going to circulate through your engine until it gets back to the filter. A tiny bit of dirt or sand in the oil is going to cause more wear than the nth amount of time it takes to fill the filter during cranking and first start.

Choose whichever you find most convincing. I've done both over the course of the years and it didn't make a hair in a rat's ass worth of difference either way.

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
Just curious but how would you prefill a 6.4L filter when it screws on horizontally? I used to prefill them on my Cummins trucks, never tried with my 6.4L just for this reason….

OP
OP
Shtty6point4

Shtty6point4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just curious but how would you prefill a 6.4L filter when it screws on horizontally? I used to prefill them on my Cummins trucks, never tried with my 6.4L just for this reason….
You wouldn’t that’s why I was wondering. I’m sure you could try and if your just slick as hell somehow and nothing was in your way you could throw the filter up to the threads perfectly and then spin this **** out of it like the wheel of fortune and it somehow manage to seal just enough to hold the fluid till you get another grip to tighten. In a perfect world maybe. Haha

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've always added oil to my filters, as full as possible. Slanted or horizontal applications, let it soak in (I always have stuff ahead of time) to the media.

DiRt iN tHe OiL people are whacked in the head with the unfiltered oil argument.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Usually takes a couple fills before a filter is full,so all you'd do is initially fill the filter,then let it sit a few minutes and the pleats will soak up the majority of the oil and become saturated.The worst time after an oil change is the time it takes for the pleats to become saturated and by pre-saturating them ,even if the filters not full,you gain a couple seconds of time before the filter becomes full and the pleats are saturated.Doesn't take to many brains to figure out it's not the time for the filter to become full,it's the time it takes for the filter pleats to become saturated and start flowing oil through them.You're nuts to not at least try to get some oil into a filter before screwing it on,and if you can't do that with-out getting dirt in the filter,you probably shouldn't be changing your own oil

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After you drain your oil, and then refill/swap filter, there is still oil all over every single surface. Maybe if you took 2 hrs to let it drip, theres still a coating on every single surface. I used to prefill, now I just flood-start the motor for 15 seconds and let it go. Oil pump will do its thing.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Rule number one, have the right materials on hand before you work on your truck.
Kap1 is right. Use 2 two quarts of the old oil to make up the difference. Run oil of the same viscosity when ever you can.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Rule number one, have the right materials on hand before you work on your truck.
Kap1 is right. Use 2 two quarts of the old oil to make up the difference. Run oil of the same viscosity when ever you can.
I agree with rule number one, but not with the rest of your post. What's the point of changing the oil only to dump some of the old oil back in? What would your next oil change interval be? If you do 10k oil change intervals, theoretically that oil is almost used up. Why would you contaminate the new oil with worn out oil? Also, used oil changes viscosity as it ages. Who knows the actual viscosity of the oil you drained out. You're much better off using all new oil, even if the viscosity is slightly different on a couple of the quarts. Would you re-use the old filter if you removed it before realizing you don't have a new one?

OP
OP
Shtty6point4

Shtty6point4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes I understand the first rule. If I could have gone to the store for oil I would have done that but with my situation being it was almost 1 am, everything was closed and my son was asleep and couldn’t just leave him alone at home to make a trip to the Walmart even if they were still 24/7.. and I needed to change the oil at that time or I wouldn’t be able to at all before showing the truck.

The second rule I didn’t feel at all comfortable with considering I wanted that oil out to begin with, that’s the reason for the post. “Drain the oil you don’t want in the truck, then from the drain pan dump it back in the truck”… I’m not at all knowledgeable with oil specs and what everything means and why to use certain grades but, I do know that of all the routes to take if I was to go through with it wouldn’t have been that one.

Either use what was on hand for the last two
Use the 5qt I had and limp it to the store nice and easy for the remaining 2qts
Or
Manage my time better by realizing if I’m trying to sell the truck I should probably find the time to service the oil at a reasonable hour

Either way, I made things work out. Changed it correctly, showed the truck, got low balled, kept the truck and got an oil change.

Now I’m trying to fix the exhaust leaks at ALL the flanges.

Thanks guys, hope the weekend is treating everybody good. Take care

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Never drive a truck low 2 quarts in the crankcase, not even for 100 yards.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Never drive a truck low 2 quarts in the crankcase, not even for 100 yards.
Haha, back in my youth I'd regularly drive around a quart or two down. And that was an engine that only held two quarts. I didn't do it on purpose, I just had a car that leaked that much oil LOL. I wouldn't recommend doing that, especially in a newer vehicle. At the time I was driving a car I bought for $100, and couldn't afford to fix the car. When you add up how much I spent on oil in the end, I probably could have fixed it several times over. :crazy:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Haha, back in my youth I'd regularly drive around a quart or two down. And that was an engine that only held two quarts. I didn't do it on purpose, I just had a car that leaked that much oil LOL. I wouldn't recommend doing that, especially in a newer vehicle. At the time I was driving a car I bought for $100, and couldn't afford to fix the car. When you add up how much I spent on oil in the end, I probably could have fixed it several times over. :crazy:
Way back in my high school days,i had a buddy that had an old 327 Impala that leaked and burned more oil then Opec,and he used to scrounge all the used oil he could from the local garages to keep it running,lol.Was never a mosquito problem when that car was at the outdoor bush parties :Big Laugh: :Big Laugh:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Mine was an old Chevelle with a 283. I never changed the oil in that car, I just replaced the filter every couple thousand miles. They sure don't build 'em like they used to. :boti:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
After you drain your oil, and then refill/swap filter, there is still oil all over every single surface. Maybe if you took 2 hrs to let it drip, theres still a coating on every single surface. I used to prefill, now I just flood-start the motor for 15 seconds and let it go. Oil pump will do its thing.

Let them sort out exactly how many angels can dance on the pinhead. It's what drives 84.2% of all internet forum traffic. Statistics made up on the spot make up the remaining 26.8%, with the remainder being people correcting others' grammar or math.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Let them sort out exactly how many angels can dance on the pinhead. It's what drives 84.2% of all internet forum traffic. Statistics made up on the spot make up the remaining 26.8%, with the remainder being people correcting others' grammar or math.
80% of all statistics are made up, including this one. :D BTW, 84.2% + 26.8% = 110%.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I understand the first rule. If I could have gone to the store for oil I would have done that but with my situation being it was almost 1 am, everything was closed and my son was asleep and couldn’t just leave him alone at home to make a trip to the Walmart even if they were still 24/7.. and I needed to change the oil at that time or I wouldn’t be able to at all before showing the truck.

The second rule I didn’t feel at all comfortable with considering I wanted that oil out to begin with, that’s the reason for the post. “Drain the oil you don’t want in the truck, then from the drain pan dump it back in the truck”… I’m not at all knowledgeable with oil specs and what everything means and why to use certain grades but, I do know that of all the routes to take if I was to go through with it wouldn’t have been that one.

Either use what was on hand for the last two
Use the 5qt I had and limp it to the store nice and easy for the remaining 2qts
Or
Manage my time better by realizing if I’m trying to sell the truck I should probably find the time to service the oil at a reasonable hour

Either way, I made things work out. Changed it correctly, showed the truck, got low balled, kept the truck and got an oil change.

Now I’m trying to fix the exhaust leaks at ALL the flanges.

Thanks guys, hope the weekend is treating everybody good. Take care
Yeah, driving to the store in a normal low rpm manner wouldn't have hurt a thing. Probably wouldn't want to go WOT or up a 45 degree incline though :)

I wouldn't have put the old oil in, not unless I was 4+ qts shy lol.

Curt Gobbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
The tick on my 2014 5.7 significantly improves when I add lucas stabilizer or use 10w40

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio