New 2023 5.7l hemi, 87 or 89 on first fill up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randyl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Dealer delivered with a full tank, not sure what they used. Manual says 87-89, but 89 recommended for "
optimum performance and fuel economy".
I know this discussion has been floating around for years, any definitive conclusions reached over time on 87 vs 89 for this engine's performance, efficiency and most important to me: engine life?
Any harm to engine life with 87, if I didn't care about max performance and efficiency?
Also, maybe a dumb question, but any reason I couldn't fill the tank with half 87 and 89, call it a compromise between cost and performance?

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Don't know. I ran 89 in both my previous 5.7 1500's simply because I towed a lot and didn't want to run the risk of knock and timing being pulled.

I'd say if you're not towing run 87, and switch to 89 when towing or hauling heavy.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'd lay odds the majority of 5.7 trucks get 87,and probably don't get oil changes as often as they should,and lots live to 200,000 miles with no issues other then maybe a leaking manifold

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Search is your friend, there's several threads on this. One of the lengthier ones has real time data tracking showing how much timing is being pulled and when with various grades.

Longevity, probably doesn't matter enough to be concerned about. Angels on pinheads sort of thing.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BOIRD be the anomaly. I run 89, stay away from 87, ref timing pulling. BUT more important, INSURE U DO/GET timely oil changes using quality oil and filters, do not watch that friggin oil idiot reminder and wait till it Dings to tell U to change. Now many do various miles, I personally do every 5,000 and have TIRES rotated also. Also, since new truck, do not wait forever to do the first oil change, with all the internals wearing and setting in. All IMHO...

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been switching back and forth trying to tell some difference in some weather conditions. I have concluded I can’t tell any difference. My fueling habits mean I’m probably actually running 87.5 to 88.5 most of the time. I have oil changed every time the idiot meter gets to 50%. That makes either half an idiot or twice the idiot. You decide!

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I have been switching back and forth trying to tell some difference in some weather conditions. I have concluded I can’t tell any difference. My fueling habits mean I’m probably actually running 87.5 to 88.5 most of the time. I have oil changed every time the idiot meter gets to 50%. That makes either half an idiot or twice the idiot. You decide!

50% of the time you're smart every time.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque

Your conclusion is correct. Carry on.............

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The cheapest button is usually on the far left...not counting the green handle, which you definitely don't want.
You don't want the green handle? You have something against fuel from BP gas stations??
If you pull to this pump, you probably should grab the green handle..
f7x8ox0wps011.jpg
Unless you drive a diesel

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You don't want the green handle? You have something against fuel from BP gas stations??
View attachment 525858
That is completely backwards from pretty much every pump I've ever seen. But then, I can't remember when was the last time I even saw a BP station.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is completely backwards from pretty much every pump I've ever seen. But then, I can't remember when was the last time I even saw a BP station.
They way the pumps are depicted in the BP pic is the exact way the pumps are here in Texas, regardless of brand. Sometimes instead of diesel to the far left U will see E 85 junkola. All fuel down here has ethanol in it.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BP the little ******** have a corporate standard of green handles on their gas pumps, so they make the diesel black... blasphemy I say!!.. LOL
All diesel handles in TX are green allegedly except for BP. Now ref BP, U know, I cannot remember the last time I was in a BP station. If I see one in my very short travels, I will have to take a peek. SO I did a lil research and posting 2 pics. Crash hit it on the nail head as they say. I honestly had to look if for no other reason, I either get my fuel at HEB, or sometimes at Sunoco and/or Shell which are the (2) major gas cards I carry. I do not pay a lot of attention to diesel since not have had a Diesel truck since Aug 2018.

bp1.JPGBP2.JPG

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
View attachment 525858

I have to laugh because 8 years ago I was still living in in IA, I watched a young couple pull up an grab the green handle and put it in there tank, I ask them why they wanted to put diesel in a car with a gas engine, they were shocked ( loved the look on there face when I told them of there mistake :Big Laugh:) when I explained to them the green handle was for diesel and not ethanol blended gas, they had some crazy idea the green handle meant it was for enviro friendly ethanol gas ( they then told me just how bad diesel was for the environment o_O as I stood next to my truck filling it with diesel) btw I was not at some BT station, but at my favorite station called Mills Fleet Farm...

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have to laugh because 8 years ago I was still living in in IA, I watched a young couple pull up an grab the green handle and put it in there tank, I ask them why they wanted to put diesel in a car with a gas engine, they were shocked ( loved the look on there face when I told them of there mistake :Big Laugh:) when I explained to them the green handle was for diesel and not ethanol blended gas, they had some crazy idea the green handle meant it was for enviro friendly ethanol gas ( they then told me just how bad diesel was for the environment o_O as I stood next to my truck filling it with diesel) btw I was not at some BT station, but at my favorite station called Mills Fleet Farm...
That's not supposed to be possible. The diesel nozzle is purposely made larger in diameter so it won't fit in the fill pipe of a gas vehicle.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
That's not supposed to be possible. The diesel nozzle is purposely made larger in diameter so it won't fit in the fill pipe of a gas vehicle.
It will if they don't put the correct nozzle on the end of the hose, I have seen the wrong one a few times on a diesel pump, it happens when a nozzle goes bad an they only have one nozzle in the back room and it just happens to have a small nozzle so they put on what they have to keep the pump going...