New buyer, helped needed (sorry, Q's you've prob seen x1000 before)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nate2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
So I am potentially in the market for a newer Ram than what I've got already. I've got a 2004 2500 crew cab 8 foot bed Ram. In this scenario I'd be looking to sell it and replace it with something like a 2013-2015 1500 (6'5 bed, crew cab). The one I own is more truck than I need both in power and size given my living in the city and towing occasionally just a ski boat or camper.

However, I am not familiar with what to look for, ask about or to avoid in regards to the newer Rams. So if anyone has a list or can just shoot off a bunch of the most common issues off the top of your head, that would be much appreciated. What are deal breakers for a '13-'15 Ram to have or not have? What are red flags for it to have/not have? What are common issues for Ram 1500's in those years? etc. Again, thanks!

Somewhat related; I am currently online stalking a 2015 1500 Laramie Crew Cab with 85,000 miles, a 6 ft bed, 1 owner and a clean Carfax. The part I have questions for ya'll about is the fact that its Carfax says it originated in Alberta Canada before being registered and owned (presumably the owner moved and took the truck with him) in WA state where I live. Someone mentioned a concern to me that the truck was likely driven a lot in areas that have been salted for snow and ice. So how would I go about checking to see if that is a deal breaker or if the truck was properly maintained in order to prevent the salt from eating away at the undercarriage?

Lastly, what should I search for online in order to attempt to find a auto shop in the area of the dealership (I'm on the other side of WA from the dealership) that could do an eval of the truck for me before I purchased it?

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So I am potentially in the market for a newer Ram than what I've got already. I've got a 2004 2500 crew cab 8 foot bed Ram. In this scenario I'd be looking to sell it and replace it with something like a 2013-2015 1500 (6'5 bed, crew cab). The one I own is more truck than I need both in power and size given my living in the city and towing occasionally just a ski boat or camper.

However, I am not familiar with what to look for, ask about or to avoid in regards to the newer Rams. So if anyone has a list or can just shoot off a bunch of the most common issues off the top of your head, that would be much appreciated. What are deal breakers for a '13-'15 Ram to have or not have? What are red flags for it to have/not have? What are common issues for Ram 1500's in those years? etc. Again, thanks!

Somewhat related; I am currently online stalking a 2015 1500 Laramie Crew Cab with 85,000 miles, a 6 ft bed, 1 owner and a clean Carfax. The part I have questions for ya'll about is the fact that its Carfax says it originated in Alberta Canada before being registered and owned (presumably the owner moved and took the truck with him) in WA state where I live. Someone mentioned a concern to me that the truck was likely driven a lot in areas that have been salted for snow and ice. So how would I go about checking to see if that is a deal breaker or if the truck was properly maintained in order to prevent the salt from eating away at the undercarriage?

Lastly, what should I search for online in order to attempt to find a auto shop in the area of the dealership (I'm on the other side of WA from the dealership) that could do an eval of the truck for me before I purchased it?
Are you on the left coast side or the right side. I reside in Spokane

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Check for rust in the wheel wells and under the side of the bed. You want to hear a cold start and listen for a tick coming from the engine or the exhaust as they’re known for broken exhaust manifold bolts and lifters.

OP
OP
N

Nate2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Check for rust in the wheel wells and under the side of the bed. You want to hear a cold start and listen for a tick coming from the engine or the exhaust as they’re known for broken exhaust manifold bolts and lifters.

Thanks! So if isn't rust or it is very minimal (I'm assuming very minimal is acceptable...) then they likely paid mindful attention to the fact that their salted roadways would damage the undercarriage of their truck, right?

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That’s what I was getting at. Those are common rusting spots on these trucks. If they’re in pretty decent shape, there’s a good chance that the previous owner took decent care of it.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Can a Canadian truck be repaired with US computer diagnostics?

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMO I would avoid the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Can a Canadian truck be repaired with US computer diagnostics?

Yes. The diagnostics and design is the exact same. The only difference is the warranty and usually the trucks that are built for anywhere outside of the US are setup for metric measurements. Timers and dealerships are able to change that though. As for the warranty, Canadian truck warranties are not valid in the US, but it sounds like that truck is already passed the mileage for that anyways.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The lifter issue that is always talked about in here was supposedly corrected by MY 2016. Others may be able to confirm this. Maybe if you can afford it, look at '16's or newer. The broken manifold bolts still continue to this day. The fix for that is to replace the exhaust manifolds with headers. These are the two most common issues.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Can't recall if Seattle (or WA) does salt on the roads, but I don't think they go nuts like the East Coast does even if they did (PNW usually uses Magnesium Chloride for ice control; Oregon mostly bans salt entirely, preferring to spray MgCl2 and use pea gravel for traction)

BUT... Pasco, as long as the truck stayed there in that area, should be perfectly fine. I'd be OCD looking for rust if the thing was for sale around Port Angeles/Sequim or anywhere along the Sound. However, Pasco is damned near desert (and certainly clear outside of the eternal damp that you and I get), so a cursory check should be fine.

I'd instead eyeball all the rubber - hoses, belts, boots, etc. Make sure none of it is prematurely dried out and in need of replacement. Also, dust is a thing out that way, so pull the cabin filter (behind the glove boxes) since nobody ever thinks to change those, and get a good eyeball on that.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it's an Alberta truck then it won't be as exposed to salt and brine as much as in eastern canada. My friend bought an accord there and it was clean as a whistle.

I'd have the manifold bolts well examined. Check of leaks (trans, engine, diffs, xfer case). And of course check for rust. Hopefully it was rust proofed before. Make sure it's got the 8spd (3.92 if you tow or 3.21 if you're looking for maximum mileage). I'd factor in $500 aside to get the transmission pan, lifeguard 8 fuid replaced and both diffs and xfer case serviced if it has over 100,000km.

OP
OP
N

Nate2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Can't recall if Seattle (or WA) does salt on the roads, but I don't think they go nuts like the East Coast does even if they did (PNW usually uses Magnesium Chloride for ice control; Oregon mostly bans salt entirely, preferring to spray MgCl2 and use pea gravel for traction)

BUT... Pasco, as long as the truck stayed there in that area, should be perfectly fine. I'd be OCD looking for rust if the thing was for sale around Port Angeles/Sequim or anywhere along the Sound. However, Pasco is damned near desert (and certainly clear outside of the eternal damp that you and I get), so a cursory check should be fine.

I'd instead eyeball all the rubber - hoses, belts, boots, etc. Make sure none of it is prematurely dried out and in need of replacement. Also, dust is a thing out that way, so pull the cabin filter (behind the glove boxes) since nobody ever thinks to change those, and get a good eyeball on that.

Thanks. I'm not really worried about salt or anything from its time in WA (which looks to be relatively short). I'm more worried about the majority of its life spent in Alberta Canada. Will definitely still take your advice as to what to check.

If it's an Alberta truck then it won't be as exposed to salt and brine as much as in eastern canada. My friend bought an accord there and it was clean as a whistle.

I'd have the manifold bolts well examined. Check of leaks (trans, engine, diffs, xfer case). And of course check for rust. Hopefully it was rust proofed before. Make sure it's got the 8spd (3.92 if you tow or 3.21 if you're looking for maximum mileage). I'd factor in $500 aside to get the transmission pan, lifeguard 8 fuid replaced and both diffs and xfer case serviced if it has over 100,000km.

Well that's really good to hear about your friends Accord. It has 84,867 miles on it. Now checking that stuff, is that something you'd recommend taking the truck to a auto shop to do or to do personally? Btw here's its Carfax: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DVW_1&vin=1C6RR7VT3FS673927.

Also try to get the 3.92 gears in the differential. Run the VIN through here (https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing) to find out how it came out of the factory and whether it’s a Canadian truck or not.

Thanks, yeah I've actually already done that and I know it has the 3.21 Rear Axle Ratio. Like I said in my first post it would be towing our ski boat and tent trailer occasionally (a few times a year). The boat is probably ~4000 pounds and the tent trailer is half that. If a 1500 with a 3.21 axle ratio can comfortably pull those, then it'd likely be a win-win due to the improved city driving fuel mileage I'd receive.

Another highly informative thing I found (through the Carfax) was the original window sticker for the truck: https://www.carfax.com/phoenix/sticker/v3/RAM/x75FoAr_8RnLV8aNnmX5R0KlhnLRA7hvuN0hFKXfZFU.cfx

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
As stated rust is a problem for the bed. I replaced mine with one I picked up from a company that removed them to add custom boxes. They painted and installed for $2k and made it look so much better. My parents have it now since I bought a brand new 2018 2500 in October. Also recommend putting money aside as other poster said for replacement of all fluids and belts. Good luck

OP
OP
N

Nate2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
As stated rust is a problem for the bed. I replaced mine with one I picked up from a company that removed them to add custom boxes. They painted and installed for $2k and made it look so much better. My parents have it now since I bought a brand new 2018 2500 in October. Also recommend putting money aside as other poster said for replacement of all fluids and belts. Good luck

Thanks!

sirguynate503

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From Spokane as well, I see all kinds of Canadian imports around here especially coming from Northwest Auto Liquidators out in Airway Heights. I know trucks go for much less up in Canada, I saw someone post an ad for a Warlock 5.7 4x4 with sport hood for 30,000 CAD which is 23,000 USD. No idea how much it would cost to import from Canada but do notice a hell of a lot of Canadian used vehicles over in these parts.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
From Spokane as well, I see all kinds of Canadian imports around here especially coming from Northwest Auto Liquidators out in Airway Heights. I know trucks go for much less up in Canada, I saw someone post an ad for a Warlock 5.7 4x4 with sport hood for 30,000 CAD which is 23,000 USD. No idea how much it would cost to import from Canada but do notice a hell of a lot of Canadian used vehicles over in these parts.
Spokane needs a Ram club

OP
OP
N

Nate2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Yes! I'm currently looking at Northwest Motorsports and so much of their inventory I've looked at for Rams is originally from Canada!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Truker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm in south central BC, so see a fair bit of salt on the roads. I spray the chassis etc very regularly but the most common rust I see is the rockers and cab corners on the 4th gens. Good luck hunting.