New Coil Springs

TufTruck 1211's or Cargomaxx HD?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jake1215

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
I read through what was already posted about this and didn't really find much that was helpful. I'm trying to find a pair of Rear Coil Springs to beef up the rear end of my 2015 Ram 1500 Tradesman OHC Hemi V8 5.7L. I already have Rancho RS5000 Shocks on the way but cant seem to get a straight answer on the coil springs. See attached. I obviously had some issues and should be well within capable of pulling this camper. Something is wrong. Really wrong. I can pull my boat fine (little 18' bass boat) but even that squats the rear end a little. I had some cinder blocks in the back. Maybe 15 of them or so. Still squatting. I'm not sure if the previous owner switched them to something softer or what but its not a good time. I want to be able to pull this camper Summer of 2023. If anyone has any recommendations I'd greatly appreciate it! I've looked at Cargomaxx XHDs and Cargomaxx HDs and not sure where to go that isn't charging arm and a leg for shipping. 70% increase, wouldn't that make it a bumpy ride while empty?? Would the 35% increase be better but can they hold the weight?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
J

Jake1215

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
I've looked on TufTruck as well and most of them seem more about lifting than holding the weight. Anything specific on there you recommend?

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
As danielmid suggested, I'd look into a weight distribution hitch first, transfer some of that weight back onto the front wheels.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And really, that is probably too much trailer for the truck, looks like all the weight and the slide out is in front of the axles which is not a good match for the 1500.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
WDH and airbags. Your era of 1500 truck has a notoriously soft rear end and the bags allow you to keep the nice ride when you're not towing but beef up the rear end when you are. I've run them on my last two trucks (HD 2500 but the concept is the same) and been very happy.

Last time I looked on the 1500s there were cheap 1000s (Airlift brand?) which went inside the coil springs. The heavier duty option are Firestone (or probably other brands) 5000s. That's what I had and loved them. If I air up to 80psi I can put 3000# of gravel in my bed and the truck doesn't squat more than a couple inches. When not hauling things I leave them at about 7psi so they don't get damaged and I don't know they are there.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally, I think the hitch is the wrong height by looking at the picture. You will still need a WDH but you need the ball in a better position.

Tufftruck 1210 or 1211 springs.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WDH and airbags. Your era of 1500 truck has a notoriously soft rear end and the bags allow you to keep the nice ride when you're not towing but beef up the rear end when you are. I've run them on my last two trucks (HD 2500 but the concept is the same) and been very happy.

Last time I looked on the 1500s there were cheap 1000s (Airlift brand?) which went inside the coil springs. The heavier duty option are Firestone (or probably other brands) 5000s. That's what I had and loved them. If I air up to 80psi I can put 3000# of gravel in my bed and the truck doesn't squat more than a couple inches. When not hauling things I leave them at about 7psi so they don't get damaged and I don't know they are there.
The problem with the 1000 series is you have air up before the load is applied, there are other options like the 5000 series or the Timber Grove ASAM that mount outside the coil and can be adjusted after the load.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So, before you go spending money and trying to solve a problem you don't even know the specifics on, go weigh your full trailer both axle weight and tongue weight. Then load up your truck with everything you normally carry including hitch and people and weigh that also. You need your two axle weights from your truck to figure out what your remaining payload capacity is. Agree with another poster here, you have a slide out in front of your axles and that's putting too much weight up in front. Without knowing the specifics that are on your door jamb plus the weights that you need to get, there's no way anybody can provide a decent answer that is going to be exactly correct. However, more than likely you're going to find that trailer is more than your truck is rated for. And airbags or different springs are going to provide no help at all, all they're going to do is mask the problem and create a dangerous situation for you as you go down the road.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The problem with the 1000 series is you have air up before the load is applied, there are other options like the 5000 series or the Timber Grove ASAM that mount outside the coil and can be adjusted after the load.
Yeah, everything I've read about the 1000s is not good. IIRC they are super-cheap... like under $100. It was never an option for me on my HD but even on a 1500 the larger ones are probably the best bet.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Timbrens are a bumpstop bandaid not a suspension helper.

09SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, everything I've read about the 1000s is not good. IIRC they are super-cheap... like under $100. It was never an option for me on my HD but even on a 1500 the larger ones are probably the best bet.
For a 1500 that's dealing with 750 or less tongue weight they work reasonably well and are easily installed and low cost. I wouldn't use them for continuous use but for towing the trailer once a month they work.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I read through what was already posted about this and didn't really find much that was helpful. I'm trying to find a pair of Rear Coil Springs to beef up the rear end of my 2015 Ram 1500 Tradesman OHC Hemi V8 5.7L. I already have Rancho RS5000 Shocks on the way but cant seem to get a straight answer on the coil springs. See attached. I obviously had some issues and should be well within capable of pulling this camper. Something is wrong. Really wrong. I can pull my boat fine (little 18' bass boat) but even that squats the rear end a little. I had some cinder blocks in the back. Maybe 15 of them or so. Still squatting. I'm not sure if the previous owner switched them to something softer or what but its not a good time. I want to be able to pull this camper Summer of 2023. If anyone has any recommendations I'd greatly appreciate it! I've looked at Cargomaxx XHDs and Cargomaxx HDs and not sure where to go that isn't charging arm and a leg for shipping. 70% increase, wouldn't that make it a bumpy ride while empty?? Would the 35% increase be better but can they hold the weight?

First off, as others have said, that gen of 1500 has a softer set of springs to provide a softer ride, generally. I have heard they are progressive rate springs? But I don't have one so I can't confirm that. Which is why even your boat or a load of cinder blocks made it squat quite a bit.

Second, whenever you hook up to a travel trailer with a 1500, you NEED a WDH. There are very few (like the ECO brand trailers) that I wouldn't say you would need one for. Your receiver is only rated to about 500 lbs before it needs a WDH, and judging from that picture you're way past that. Terry campers are notoriously heavy (they're VERY solid units), and even though that is only about 30-ish feet long it's probably got 800+ lbs of tongue weight. So a WDH is going to help you out a LOT, don't forget sway control. You can go built-in or separate unit, I prefer the separate unit but I am evidently in the minority anymore. The advice to get to a scale is good, but I don't recommend pulling that trailer without a WDH - even if it isn't set up correctly at first, any setup is better than no setup.

Third, part of why trucks today are built with so much rake from the factory (nose pointed down) is to help increase the load carrying capability. If you (or anyone else) added a leveling kit to your truck, depending on how it was done they may have actually reduced how much weight you can carry.

To answer your other questions, yes, heavier duty springs WILL make for a rougher ride when unloaded. That's going to be the trade-off no matter what you do, unless you go with airbags, which have their own issues (having to air them up, possible leaks, potential blow-outs, etc. etc.).

OP
OP
J

Jake1215

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Thanks everyone for all the help! I had a WDH on it just pulled it out to more level ground before i hooked up the sway control.

Yes i know the tongue weight is heavy and maybe I'm not looking in the right places or something but I've looked just about anywhere online, including forums, NADA specs, Dodge websites, all over. All over the place and I'm seeing for my year and trim that i should be able to carry quite a bit of tongue weight. Nothing compared to a 3/4 ton or 1 ton. But I got some new shocks for the back as well because I'm thinking maybe that will help a little with the increased "bumpiness" of the ride with new coil springs. Who knows. Not a professional here lol. I just inspected the bump stops as well and they look okay. Figured they would be smashed since it bottomed out so much. But they look good. I'm going to update the coil springs and then get a WDH. My step dad in a 1/2 ton Chevy pulled the same camper after my truck did this and it didn't even squat but a couple inches. I've seen that the variable rate coil springs make the empty ride a bit better. So might try to find some of those. The TufTruck website seems somewhat promising so I might go with those but i can also find them on amazon and I don't trust amazon auto parts lol Thanks again for all the help. If anyone has anymore advice please feel free to share!

Ram Fan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Limited
Engine
EcoDiesel, GDE tuned, 3.55 axle ratio
I had a 2010 with the same issue. Great ride when empty, but when I hitched up my trailer it sagged more than I was comfortable with (with a WD hitch) so after arriving in Florida on our first trip out I went to an AutoZone and picked up a set of airlift 1000s which were super easy to install inside the coil springs (I did in an hour by myself on my campsite) and it made a world of difference. I pulled my trailer many times and for many miles afterwards with no complaints. I would typically run them with about 5 pounds when not towing so-as not to affect the ride qaulity, and then pump them up to about 30 pounds when towing, which kept the truck perfectly level and gave a nice firm ride. I would highly recomend the Airlift 1000s as a solution to your problem.