New guy & new truck! 2014 Sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
scottyram

scottyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Weather was awesome today so I jumped at the chance to paint my wheels! Not much to show during, lots of waiting around for each coat to dry. I pulled off the fronts first, used the playing cards around the lip of the wheel trick and spent 6 hours outside painting and drinkin' beers! Pictures don't do it justice, looks WAY better in person..

qEekQm1.jpg

pIa2OBJ.jpg

AkqGJ7N.jpg

And the best helper out there :)
C5iYRNx.jpg

Ill try and snap some better shots tomorrow. I parked the truck for the night to let the paint 100% cure, should look even better in the morning!

ramrt14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So tempted to do this. But i think imma pull the trigger on powdercoat ?! Decisions decisions.....

Looks good

aIIan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2O14
Engine
Very nice.

How much of a pain in the as was it to get your exhaust tips off?

I climbed underneath earlier and the little weld seems beefier than I'd hoped.

OP
OP
scottyram

scottyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very nice.

How much of a pain in the as was it to get your exhaust tips off?

I climbed underneath earlier and the little weld seems beefier than I'd hoped.

The tips came off very easy. The weld you saw is only holding a clamp onto the tip side of the pipe. Undo the clamp, Bolt is on the top, and wiggle the pipe up and down and it should slip right off.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah, you need to back that bolt off a ways and it'll pop right off.

Truck looks killer with black wheels. :waytogo:

jerryb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks awesome, how well does the plastidip hold up? I have been thinking of doing this but tought it may peel??

OP
OP
scottyram

scottyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks awesome, how well does the plastidip hold up? I have been thinking of doing this but tought it may peel??

Personally, I have never used plastidip for anything exterior until my truck, but my buddy did the wheels on his 2011 Ram and has seen 2 crappy winters and they are holding up just fine.

aIIan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2O14
Engine
The tips came off very easy. The weld you saw is only holding a clamp onto the tip side of the pipe. Undo the clamp, Bolt is on the top, and wiggle the pipe up and down and it should slip right off.

Thanks.

Looks like I'll taking my grille apart and pulling off the tips this weekend.

OP
OP
scottyram

scottyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wheels look great today, luckily they had 10ish hours to cure before the rain started. Nothing but compliments on them today everywhere I go. Hell, even my wife thought the truck looked really good with the wheels painted. Normally she could careless what i'm doing with my vehicles lol

OP
OP
scottyram

scottyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, another small update to share. I finally got my front windows tint matched with the factory tint, so glad I did, truck looks much better. Also, drove about 50kms outside of town and was able to test the stubby antenna, our 3 main stations came in nice and clear.

Here are a couple dirty shots from this morning while I was out.

CgvIQqw.jpg

gw6zlkO.jpg

0N0j9Sv.jpg

jerryb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So how is the plasti dip holding up? We're you able to spray it with minimal imperfections? I'm on the fence weather to do mine or not.

OP
OP
scottyram

scottyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So how is the plasti dip holding up? We're you able to spray it with minimal imperfections? I'm on the fence weather to do mine or not.

The plastidip is holding up great thus far. There are a couple paint runs but virtually not noticable unless you are really looking for them. I have foam brushed the wheels and other spots that are painted, pressure washed them and no problems at all.