New here - can you point me in the right direction?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LuckyDraw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2002 and 2006
Engine
Currently 3.7 and 4.7
So I've been coming to this forum alot recently after my brother and I picked up 2 more Ram's recently. I've owned my '04 1500 5 speed with the 3.7 for several years now and it's been a good truck.
We just recently got an '02 1500 SLT quad cab 4x4 with the 4.7 that had blown head gaskets and stuck lifters. Auto trans. 135k miles on it for $1200.
The other is an '06 quad cab 2x4 with the 3.7 and auto trans with something like 150k on it for $1100. It was run low on oil and snapped a rod. (I just found out yesterday while pulling the engine apart). Surprisingly it didn't damage the engine block or sleeve. The heads are fine, no cam or rocker arm damage. The crank is scored however. I assumed it had spun bearings, but I didn't expect it to have a snapped rod, lol.

So, I've done a good bit of reading regarding different mods to these 3.7 and 4.7 engines - like the injectors, later model cams and intake manifold, etc. I also read about engine swaps, the need for not only the engine, but the harness and ecm/tcm, etc. as well.

The trouble is that I live in a relatively remote area. So if I want to go to a U-Pull-It yard, I have to drive 5 hours to Denver and spend the day or more searching and pulling everything I need.

So I'm doing all the research I can and weighing out my options.
Where is the best area I should go to post on this site for the best guidance regarding options and advice?

Regards,
Brian

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So what specifically are you looking for? Used parts dealers? Technical information on rebuilding the engine(s)? Mods you can do to the engines when rebuilding or bolt on to a good engine?

I'd suggest posting up specific questions on your truck(s) in the 3rd Gen section. You'll note that there are a lot of threads that have information specific to some of your needs for the three trucks you have listed. It will take some reading and searching but I'd encourage you to keep plucking way at that section for relevant information.

Welcome to the forum.

OP
OP
L

LuckyDraw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2002 and 2006
Engine
Currently 3.7 and 4.7
I will definitely do that - and thank you!
Sort of everything, really. I'm weighing out if I should invest my time and energy in the existing engines - and if so, what to upgrade while I'm at it. Or do I strongly consider and engine swap instead. And if so, what is the best course of action for either truck.