New member, some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sundog_

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 D150 Short Box
Engine
n/a :P
Hey forum,

Just bought my first Cummins, a 2012 2500 Laramie for my company. Although I'm a die hard VW guy (have owned 15!), I've been surrounded by Dodge owners, and have had Dodge and Ford for work trucks previously, so I had a bit of an idea what I was getting into. I knew if I was going to buy for myself, it was going to be a loaded 2500. So I found this, and had to have it

_20_zps2d0eedac.jpg

I've already installed a cell booster through the third brake light, jock box, and am getting a roll up box cover this week.

I love the color and look (maybe not so much the wheels), and I dont think its missing any options except rear dvd screen...

Which brings me to my first question - Does dodge offer a way to receive the history and build of your vehicle? With vw, you can send your vin, and they will mail you a birth certificate of build, options, even what day it was built.

power folding mirrors for 2500's? I've browsed a bit around the various forums, and couldn't find an answer.

Is there a DIY section on the forums? I tend to do alot of practical mods to my vehicles, and it's nice to share.

And finally, I will be towing about 4000kg, maybe once a month for work, the rest is highway and city driving. I want to do mods that will help with fuel economy the most. Power isn't a priority here (at least not yet)

RyeThomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
You can get your build sheet from a few resources online, try Dodge.com. They should get back to you pretty quick.
There are NO true power fold Tow mirrors for Ram trucks, why IDK.
As far as mileage, the 07.5-12 are known for being a little thirsty. You can get a programmer and leave your emissions in tact and try that, or spend a lot more and get a programmer and delete your EGR and DPF. Many claim a substantial mileage increase after the latter. But do you have emissions visual inspections? Do you have a warranty? Do you want to delete?
I'm one of the few that doesn't want to delete, I can appreciate that most due and that it helps. After 12 years in a CTD and tens of thousands spent modding my last three trucks I am very happy having a stock truck with that warranty thing.
As far a DIY, and MODS don't take this the wrong way but there are a few larger dedicated CTD sites that have a ton of knowledge and DIY articles. Just be careful they can help you spend a lot of your money, LOL.
Nice truck , I vote just drive it like you stole it and she will be fine.

OP
OP
sundog_

sundog_

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 D150 Short Box
Engine
I'll definitely try Dodge.com. Sucks about the mirrors. So many options on this bad boy, but that's one missing.

I'm not worried about emissions or warranty, and I know about some of the deletes, was looking more for which ones are showing the best increase in economy. Thanks for the reply!

OP
OP
sundog_

sundog_

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 D150 Short Box
Engine
Thanks! I'm happy with it so far. It'll make for a good mobile office lol

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I have tow mirrors on my 1500, they've yet to get in the way of anything. Only time I've folded them is before a carwash, which isnt so bad.

Very nice truck, love the fender flares.

OP
OP
sundog_

sundog_

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 D150 Short Box
Engine
I had a 2013 2500 hemi with tow mirrors for work last year, and aside from the stereo, the mirrors were my biggest complaint.

You never want to be 6'5", and parked tight beside a Ram truck with towing mirrors, they're always in the way. lol.

Plus, this truck has every other option, it's amazing Dodge didn't match with the other two brands.

After looking into it more, it seems I wont even be able to adapt the folding sport mirrors from the 1500. Bah. Guess I'll have to live with it!

I like the fender flares too, but I'm getting flack from my truck friends for them not being color matched?! This trucks going to be doing some rig rocketing, I don't know why you would paint em. Plus I like the black against this color. Might even black out the bumpers and rails too.We will see.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I like the fender flares too, but I'm getting flack from my truck friends for them not being color matched?! This trucks going to be doing some rig rocketing, I don't know why you would paint em. Plus I like the black against this color. Might even black out the bumpers and rails too.We will see.

This, I agree..I'd only paint match them if it were a pavement princess or a grocery getter. Otherwise, stone chips galore. Also, our winters..lol

OP
OP
sundog_

sundog_

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 D150 Short Box
Engine
This, I agree..I'd only paint match them if it were a pavement princess or a grocery getter. Otherwise, stone chips galore. Also, our winters..lol

Exactly. Plus although I like the creature comforts and keeping my rides pretty, this is a work truck. If it's not getting muddy and rippin down haul roads, its not making me money. I have a pretty car that I can fret over color matched accessories lol.

I think I'm going to like this forum. :p

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome aboard!
That RAM wording "Power folding mirrors" is deceiving, isn't it?
I have to fold my pass mirror to fit it in my garage. I would pay a prince's sum to have power FOLDING mirros instead of my power, folding mirrors :word:

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7

nah don't change them, they look great as is. color matched would look kinda bland imo

HAMMER77777

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Congrats man...i got just about the same thing, in Hemi. Enjoy!

OP
OP
sundog_

sundog_

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 D150 Short Box
Engine
Thanks for the comments guys.

So, it's been a while, and I've done some little add-ons

Installed a Truxedo QT. Loved the one I had on my last work truck.
IMG_20140804_165646_hdr_zps34fb62c8.jpg

And got a smokin' deal on some rigids from my cousin. Made my own bolt in bracket for a clean look. Also ran the switch to the small access panel that is by the cubby near your right leg in the interior. The amber gels on the fogs sure make a difference driving in the winter too!
IMG_20140925_152057_zps17085670.jpg

(a little bright Id say)
IMG_20140913_201004_zps199f3d4d.jpg
And installed the power lock rear tailgate retrofit from the newer rams.

Next on the list, a Webasto or Espar heater. Anyone have luck with getting the interior air to work on the 12's and up?