New project idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So there is this old 50ish Dodge pick up on the property I rent that I have been wanting to get my hands on (which I have pretty much been told I can have) and I wanted to build it into a street monster like what Gasmonkey built for the Pikes Peak pace car.

Well then I find this and now I want to build something like this with a 4th gens Hemi, prob an earlier year like my R/T since its easier to tune.

Here is the link to what I want to turn the old 50's dodge into, I need to stay off the internet and stop getting more ideas and projects so I can finish what I have.

http://www.maxim.com/rides/trophy-rat-off-road-custom-pick-up-2016-5

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If you used a G3 hemi, you could keep it simple and use a 727 behind it. That would keep you from having to worry about transmission controllers and all the sensors that go along with the newer transmissions. Only bad thing about the G3 idea is having to fabricate the motor mounts and all that to fit it in there.

Take this for what its worth( not much), but if I was going to take on an old project truck like that, I would be putting a stroker motor in it, either based off of a 400 or 440. Put a 727 behind it, and you would be able to run 3.23s in the rear and have decent highway rpms, and still have plenty of torque with the stroker to turn the rear tires into smoke at will. Also, their is a new fuel injection system out that is pretty affordable for reliability. It is called FITech. I believe the kits are around a grand, and it is self learning like the Holley/ Fast systems.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you used a G3 hemi, you could keep it simple and use a 727 behind it. That would keep you from having to worry about transmission controllers and all the sensors that go along with the newer transmissions. Only bad thing about the G3 idea is having to fabricate the motor mounts and all that to fit it in there. Oh and I like to keep it in the family.... a easy swap and smaller and lighter would be a LS based motor. but IMO a LS has no business in a dodge.

Take this for what its worth( not much), but if I was going to take on an old project truck like that, I would be putting a stroker motor in it, either based off of a 400 or 440. Put a 727 behind it, and you would be able to run 3.23s in the rear and have decent highway rpms, and still have plenty of torque with the stroker to turn the rear tires into smoke at will. Also, their is a new fuel injection system out that is pretty affordable for reliability. It is called FITech. I believe the kits are around a grand, and it is self learning like the Holley/ Fast systems.

That is a good idea on the 727, but I'd like to stick with a lighter engine with a smaller footprint. I may run the Fitech system on a G3 hemi with a single or dual plane intake put on it.. that way it gets the power but tunes itself.. may still also go with the ECM... just ideas I like the G3 hemis cause of the easy power they have .

But when it comes to the Fab work there is so much involved in building a tube chassi system that would be needed motor mounts are the smallest of issues.

The truck is body and frame only. Its been stripped clean and not much to it. but I also like the idea of matching what I have in the R/T to use the old dodge as a R&D platform for the R/T since its smog exempt and I can do what I want and issue and can swap parts between the two...

Smurfkiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its really hard to beat a LS swap though. i have literally done 100+ LS swaps into every type and size of vehicle. use a stock 99 f-body computer (cable throttle body) and a 700r4 trans super simple and reliable

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its really hard to beat a LS swap though. i have literally done 100+ LS swaps into every type and size of vehicle. use a stock 99 f-body computer (cable throttle body) and a 700r4 trans super simple and reliable

Agreed,I'm looking at doing a LS base swap using the 5.3L for a CARB legal swap in the 88 blazer. But I'd like to keep the heart of a project with the manufacture's name on the hood. I'd do the same with a chevy.... wouldn't run a dodge in it no matter how much I love mopar. Its more expensive but worth it to me

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
i absolutely love the trophy rat i would love one.

klittle2222

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
I can't remember where I saw this but I've seen where one individual dropped a Cummins (da na na na na :D) in it. Heavy duty running gear, 4x4, big tires (but not real big, just was enough to have plenty of meat on them). It was pretty sweet and he had kept that old rusty look on it too. Either way his, and your ideas are pretty sweet!