New to RAM - from a $72k Denali to a $20k Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If you're buying a regular cab shortbox 2 wheel drive truck with the 8 speed, "Do Not Get It With 3.92's" unless you want driveshaft problems. The regular cab 2 wheel drive shortbox trucks with 3.92 gears are notorious for throwing the driveshaft if you ever open them up,like on a back road on a early sunday morning,lol.Stick with the 3.21's if you go for the Hemi,and 3.55's if you go for the V-6.In a lightweight Tradesmen the 3.92's aren't needed,you'll still spin the living **** out of the back tires with the 3.21's,plus you'll get better milege.The engine will last longer,because your oil temps/tranny temps etc,will be lower.Get it with the LSD/posi though.My old regular cab shortbox was a ST/Tradesmen with the vinyl floor mat/vinyl seats and had power/heated mirrors/power windows and that was it for options.The only thing I didn't care for,were the vinyl seats,they left a lot to be desired on hot days,as you stuck to them instantly,and at -20 they really sucked,lol.If I was doing a cheap truck again,the only thing i'd look for is one with cloth seats/power windows/power mirrors/ remote start and limited slip,they all come with A/C and cruise as standard options these days. If it comes down to you can't find one with the limited slip,it's easily added at the dealer ,and i'd negotiate them into adding it as part of the deal.

Last edited:

oldguy2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 Tradesman reg cab, 2wd, long bed and 5.7Hemi. It has chrome bumpers and grille, Power and remote entry group and 8 speed AT. Yes it would be nice to have a bunch of other stuff but it was reasonably priced and it has everything I really need. Why pay thousands of $ for stuff I will rarely use. Good luck on whatever you choose.

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Best car buying experience ever @Kernnersville. Blew everyone else out of the water price wise, paid for my fly-in, and picked me up. I was in and out in 1 hour. No hassle, no flim-flam. FYI - they can do a little bit better than their best price. You seriously have to go there. Their truck lot about 2 miles from the main store is like a small airport packed with trucks. If you don't see it listed, odds are they have it in multiples.
I have a 2017 tradesman Crew, short bed hemi w/3.92, 4x4. They only thing I miss coming from a higher end SUV is a larger console, CD player, and leather seats. But the cloth is real nice.

Bobd2457

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm about to sell my 2018 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali Duramax, just paid it off and waiting for the title. I had a lot of trouble with my last 2 GM products and I simply have to move on. The other GM vehicle was a 2016 Corvette, eating through 2 quarts of oil every 1,000 miles. It took me forever to force GM to buy it back.

Needless to say, I have lost my appetite for expensive cars and trucks. I miss being able to just get to places without worrying about dings or being mad for paying so much money and receiving an inferior product.

This time around I'm planing to go the opposite route by trying to find the best price nationwide on the most affordable RAM Tradesman single cab truck.

I have always liked simple single cab work trucks and since I'm single, I don't need any room for passengers. The only time I may need some extra space is when going to the range. I'll probable end up with a tonneau hard cover.

I did a test ride with the Ford F-150 equivalent but didn't like the ride quality. Really like the RAM though.

In order to keep the price as low as possible I'll try to keep the options low:

Required
- 2018 RAM 1500 Tradesman
- Single cab
- White or Granite Crystal Metallic
- short or long bed (not sure yet)
- Power and Remote Entry Group
- Spray-In Bedliner

Maybe options
- HEMI
- Chrome Appearance Group (or Express model?)
- Trailer Brake Control
- If possible Heavy-Duty Vinyl
- Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle

I'd love 4WD but that price bump is too much.

I'm currently not pulling anything but will need it down the road occasional. We are talking U-haul moving trailer, maybe a jet ski or a smaller travel RV.

1.) What do you guys think? Any suggestions? Am I missing something?

2.) I really want a low price work truck. I saw some offers online in the $20-22k range but most dealers throw a bunch of incentives into the pricing that are not available for many. Where can I get the best dealer discounts?

Frankwhoa

Reaction score
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a regular cab once for work but I will recommend these options:

Must have power windows and locks - nothing worse than pulling up to a red light and cant say hi to a long lost buddy on the passenger side.

A long bed will give you more towing capacity do to the more even weight distribution and less weight of the single cab.

I wish I had 4x4 on my now 2016 quad cab 2wd hemi 1500. Btw, got it for 27k 2 years ago, was a loaner with 2900 miles on it..

I love my back up camera and remote start.

Tonneau options are endless. Get one with a good warranty.

Last edited:

Bobd2457

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the tradesman with the hemi, great vinyl seats, no carpet. Anti spin with 392 rear end tow package with a capacity of 10,000 lbs. Picked up a set of slightly used 2016 20 inch wheels. Installed a 7 inch touchscreen pioneer 8200 gps/ radio. Found a forward camera built into the ram grill badge, got a tailgate handle mounted back up cam. Put on a soft cover. Installed a pop and lock tailgate electric lock. Had a viper alarm with smart start installed. Couldn't be happier with my truck..and it came with a spray in liner.

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I scored this reg cab express Hemi (avitar) for about 20K. (30K MSRP) It was a 2014 leftover bot in late 2015. It had the spray in bedliner, power group, XM radio even a back up camera. 6 spd on the column. Old school all the way. These Expresses usually dont come with a trailer tow but I made them give me one, and installed it myself. The plugs and wiring is already there. I didnt need 4WD as we live in FL and never off road it. These newer ones ride a LOT better than the older short box ones with 20" wheels. Mileage on these newer Hemis is not much worse than the 6 cyl. I can get up to 20 on flat asphalt with the cruise on. Go for the Hemi, it usually comes standard on a lot of them, and you'll like it MUCH better. 395 HP is a good thing.

Admittedly, mine was a special deal, after sitting on the lot for 18 months, they were more than ready to move it, but if you do a search you MAY be able to find a 2017 model still sitting around somewhere within a few hundred miles or closer. That's how I found mine.

What you're looking for CAN be found in that price range! Most people dont want the reg cab short box so those end up sitting on the lot as mine did. This is as much truck as I'll ever need, and truck for truck you can keep the Fords and GMCs. I like the RAM

Last edited:

1DogFish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only input I have is in the past I've always had hard tonneau covers on my trucks. I always hated having to take them off when I needed to carry something big. This go around I bought a Extang® - eMAX™ Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover. It is a soft cover that folds up and stands behind the cab of the truck and gives you almost complete usage of the full bed. I was hesitant about buying I soft cover because I have a lot of range time also but it does become secure when your tailgate locks. If someone wants in they will get in a hard cover also. So far it has held up and still looks brand new after a year and a half. I will see how long it lasts as I tend to keep my trucks for 15 years or so.
It do get minor leakage towards the tailgate in the heavy summer storms but very little.

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm with you dogfish, I havent bot one yet but will need one later this year. The tri folds seem to be the best bet for the $$

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You seem somewhat BITTER..Go buy a ford..
Been trying for a few months now, cant find a crew cab 4x4 with an 8ft bed near me, specifically looking for 2017 models because of the updated engine. Every ad I see that specs a "LB configuration is a 6.5' bed.. No problem getting it on a diesel, but the gas is an issue for some reason.
Of course the cheaper route is to pay the 1100 bucks for a new rear end that has had issues since 1800 miles that FCA says is normal, or at least the 2 dealerships I can get to say it is. They also say the shudder at take off is normal, and I think I can fix that as well by dropping the carrier bearing a bit cause it is as smooth as silk with a load in the bed.
Then All have to worry about is the intermittent rattle and smoke at startup, a few rattles, power windows only working part of the time, etc..

So go in debt AGAIN or pay out of pocket to fix this POS..I'm leaning towards paying out of Pocket to fix this POS because I dont really want to jump into debt again since this one is paid down so much in the 1.5 years since I bought it new it makes a better financial decision.. Unless I can get a great deal on the ford Im looking for which may come at the end of year sales that pop up..Who knows. I do like how it tows, comfort level and performance..

Last edited:

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
Been trying for a few months now, cant find a crew cab 4x4 with an 8ft bed near me, specifically looking for 2017 models because of the updated engine. Every ad I see that specs a "LB configuration is a 6.5' bed.. No problem getting it on a diesel, but the gas is an issue for some reason.
Of course the cheaper route is to pay the 1100 bucks for a new rear end that has had issues since 1800 miles that FCA says is normal, or at least the 2 dealerships I can get to say it is. They also say the shudder at take off is normal, and I think I can fix that as well by dropping the carrier bearing a bit cause it is as smooth as silk with a load in the bed.
Then All have to worry about is the intermittent rattle and smoke at startup, a few rattles, power windows only working part of the time, etc..

So go in debt AGAIN or pay out of pocket to fix this POS..I'm leaning towards paying out of Pocket to fix this POS because I dont really want to jump into debt again since this one is paid down so much in the 1.5 years since I bought it new it makes a better financial decision.. Unless I can get a great deal on the ford Im looking for which may come at the end of year sales that pop up..Who knows. I do like how it tows, comfort level and performance..
PM me and I will tell you about the POS ford f-150 I had and then went with the Ram.Trust me all of the big 3 have lemons..

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
PM me and I will tell you about the POS ford f-150 I had and then went with the Ram.Trust me all of the big 3 have lemons..
Coobie, I get that.. But here is the thing, I had WONDERFUL experiences with the ford I had and the few minor issues I had were quickly rectified by the purchasing dealer (2013 f 150 ecoboost I bought new)
so I readily agree that all manufacturers produce lemons and generally sometimes just dont care.. but in MY neck of the woods, the ford dealership is better after the sale. I know other areas ford drops the ball and Ram is top notch service, but not here. If I could get THAT ford dealerships service, with MY Ram I would be happy. Im not unhappy that it has issues, many vehicles do.. I'm unhappy that everything is quickly dismissed and considered normal. I mean I might as well have Zero warranty because it does me absolutely no good.

I went with the Ram over the Ford because of a Performance advantage and honestly I liked the look better.. It's just that near me, those dang Ram dealerships just aren't really good so I question changing brands just so I don't have to deal with them anymore.

The sad part about all of that is I really do Like the truck!

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
Coobie, I get that.. But here is the thing, I had WONDERFUL experiences with the ford I had and the few minor issues I had were quickly rectified by the purchasing dealer (2013 f 150 ecoboost I bought new)
so I readily agree that all manufacturers produce lemons and generally sometimes just dont care.. but in MY neck of the woods, the ford dealership is better after the sale. I know other areas ford drops the ball and Ram is top notch service, but not here. If I could get THAT ford dealerships service, with MY Ram I would be happy. Im not unhappy that it has issues, many vehicles do.. I'm unhappy that everything is quickly dismissed and considered normal. I mean I might as well have Zero warranty because it does me absolutely no good.

I went with the Ram over the Ford because of a Performance advantage and honestly I liked the look better.. It's just that near me, those dang Ram dealerships just aren't really good so I question changing brands just so I don't have to deal with them anymore.

The sad part about all of that is I really do Like the truck!
I have had a few minor issues with my 2016 ram 2500 that were quickly resolved by my ram dealer so i get what you are saying.Dealership experience after the sale would be a HIGH priority on my list also.Good luck to you on whatever you purchase down the road..

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Going to be honest I jumped from page 1 to page 6 by reading the ops wish list there are a ton of v6 trucks that fit the bill even down into the 19k range. If your not planning on pulling a ton get the v6 penta star with 3.55 axle and call it a day. The hemi jumps to the upper 22k range depending on where you are willing to drive. And keep a open mind there were some quad cabs for 20k range might of had the v6 but the extra cab space is nice and for the same money why not.

Fletch125

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
3.6L
I had a 2014 tradesman. It had cloth seats and 6ft bed with the extended cab. Great truck. V6 averaged 20 mpg. Towed a 14ft uhaul that was loaded down and it didnt act like it was even back there. I bought a 2016 sport with the hemi and still get the same gas mileage. The 4x4 is great and realistically not that much more expensive. The Express and big horn are the next step up and usually have a nicer interior and radio without being overly luxurious.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
crockett

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
Thanks so much for all the input. Meanwhile I have managed to sell my Denali, and I have 2 great offers right now. Will be pulling the trigger tomorrow morning and pick either truck up on Saturday.

It will be a 2018 RAM 1500 Tradesman reg cab, long bed, HEMI. Yes, I have listened to many of you guys. And yes, I'm now considering 4X4 as well.

So the the only major question left is: 2X4 or 4X4 drive?

I found 2 great deals, the 2X4 truck comes with a 23.6% discount, the 4X4 is $4,600 more expensive, and "only" offers a 15.8% discount.

I live in Florida and go "off road" maybe twice a year ,usually just some sandy roads or the beach. Now, if Florida turns blue in the mid terms, I'll be outta here and I will most likely end up in Arizona, Colorado or Wyoming. Hence I might need more off road and snow capability down the road, so to speak.

What do you guys say? 4X2 and a much better deal as well as a lower price or the 4X4 truck?

Both trucks have an Anti Spin Differential.

Back to the roots, with a simple reg cab truck. Keep in mind, I'm single, no kids, the back seats in my Denali have never been used. Not once, in over 1 year.

Image2.png

Alexender

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
Will you get your ram in Black paint color?

OP
OP
crockett

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
Will you get your ram in Black paint color?

They are both Brilliant Black Crystal Pearlcoat. I'd prefer Magnet grey but at these price levels and with the options I want there isn't much choice. I have searched eBay, Autotrader, Cars.com and CarGurus for over a week.