New to the PW World!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MantaRay67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let me start by saying I teach overlanding and have wheeled in every possible condition (to include driving an M151A1 w/ M416 trailer or HMMWV ashore during multiple amphibious landings) deployed around the Globe as a US Marine. So... after buying a travel trailer that my 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser (100) with the anemic 4.7l V-8 struggled with, I started researching Trucks. The wife has always hated the LC, which got worse with every mod I added ( lift, bumpers, winch, tool, drawers, radios, 33" tires ). I've been a Ford guy most of my life but gravitated to Ram after evaluating more truck for $20K less. The Motor Trend Truck of the year for 3 years in a row got me really looking. After checking out a few friend's Rams I was sold. I've always tracked the Power Wagon since my youth with its roots as a military vehicle, but they have always been out of my reach. With all of the challenges of trying to find a truck in this day and age in the Mid Atlantic, I had to go and pick a white whale. I fell in love with the PW after researching the 75A and while none were available close by, I found 5 regular PW within 300 miles of my home. After having 2 sold out from under me I went to look at the third (holding the 2 in reserve). The one listed online was covered in dirt and pollen and had been damaged during unloading. However, I didn't find that out until I had already test drove a gorgeous Black on Black on 37s with aftermarket bead locker rims. When the numbers wouldn't jive the rep sheepishly said that the truck I had already fallen in love with was being sold with 3500 miles as certified used - above sticker. The original buyer returned it in 3 weeks after being served with divorce papers. After calming myself down from a bait and switch tactic to an honest mistake, we ended up purchasing an amazing 2021 Black on Black for entirely too much money! I do have to say that this truck is perfect and the wife LOVES it! It already has all of the things that I would do to it (wheels/tires, lift, winch, and RamBoxes). The 12" U-Connect and all the cameras really help with towing and there's plenty of power on tap.
I don't really care about gas mileage and was only slightly concerned when she got less mileage than the LC (13+ normal 10-11 while towing), but have to admit that the wife was shocked that our average is 7.9 after a recent trip to the beach. I learned very quickly how to make that screen go away, but I would like to
cY5F45XXcWV4J7dt6
see if there is any way to improve drivability and mileage.

bpgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Semper Fi! Welcome to the community and congratulations on your new truck.

As far as improving drivability/mileage, controlling throttle inputs and playing with tire pressures is probably the best way to manage both. There will be compromises in handling/comfort, but that's all personal preference on how much one can tolerate.
City driving will be horrendous for mpg's - I usually average what you're observing when driving around town. But on a relatively flat highway stretch, I can pull off about 14-15mpg's at 65mph (66RFE, factory lift, 37" tires, oem 4.10 gears, Hemifever 91oct tune, ARH LT Headers). I always haul about 100#'s of tools/recovery gear between the ramboxes and bed as well. Even with my frontrunner bed rack mounted with a cargobox and bike or two attached, the mpg's remain relatively the same.

Tinman454

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for your service. Glad you can join the club,good luck with the new truck.

wobly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Welcome to the Power Wagon club! Time to go get it dirty!

B Mitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
6.4L
Looking forward to learning some tips from you regarding off road driving! Congrats on truck !

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Welcome to the PW "club". You have summed it up quite well.
The fuel consumption will improve as the milage increases.
Have fun with it, and give it a snappy nickname.
That is a blatant lie, because as mileage increases, so does the desire to mod! Haha!

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
While I've always wanted a PW...the 75A version convinced me to finally pull the plug and do it. It is going to go along with my Escapade Backcountry off-road square drop trailer.

The exact reason I have these 2 together...is that I did NOT want to be stuck in the same position as the photo that Grand Mesa posted.

I want to be able to go where Travel Trailers and 5th Wheels cannot go.

Bring on the off road, off grid camping!

SeaSickSailor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Welcome to the PW world. I have a ‘19 PW and occasionally tow a small TT. I DRASTICALLY improved the rideability by installing air bags. Very easy to install. There is a comprehensive thread on these in this forum. The link for the airbags is below. I installed mine and removed the factory spacer so didn’t lose any articulation capability. Semper Fi from this Squid!

Vicman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Best advice I have on improving mileage (I get 12.5-13 kicking around town, 14-16 hwy) is stay out of the pedal. It's an easy truck to roll slo with. We have a 20mpg limit in the local small towns around here. I idle through at 18 without touching the right pedal just fine. Visualize yourself riding on the back of Godzilla vs a racehorse. It also gives the bystanders a chance to appreciate the magnificence they are witnessing!

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
@MantaRay67 congrats on the new truck, sounds like you're going to use it well.

OP
OP
MantaRay67

MantaRay67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad to have your overlanding knowledge. With our Power Wagon towing a travel trailer on our narrow Rocky Mountain and Moab area roads it's a concern of my wife and I to not get into this situation...

https://www.durangoherald.com/articles/rv-is-free-after-spending-a-week-stuck-on-lime-creek-road/
Overdriving one's capabilities (or overconfidence or ignorance) is always a concern. Understanding what you can and can't do is crucial... coming to that understanding BEFORE you get into this kind of precarious situation is the difference between a fun and successful trip and being a front runner for the Darwin Award. You've made the right choice - the Power Wagon is currently THE most capable off-road vehicle in production (its only drawback is its size). Having the foresight to do a route check BEFORE you go reflects sound judgment. Something the gentleman in question seems to have lacked. The misconception that his car-in-tow somehow serves as some kind of boat anchor only proves my point!

OP
OP
MantaRay67

MantaRay67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to the Power Wagon crew! Was that mileage while towing? With 37's that's not too bad...lol
Yes... 10MPG around town and there are a lot of small hills and stop lights to get from N. Virginia (NoVA) to the beach. I'm slowly creeping back up. Currently at 8.5 and climbing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MantaRay67

MantaRay67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to the PW world. I have a ‘19 PW and occasionally tow a small TT. I DRASTICALLY improved the rideability by installing air bags. Very easy to install. There is a comprehensive thread on these in this forum. The link for the airbags is below. I installed mine and removed the factory spacer so didn’t lose any articulation capability. Semper Fi from this Squid!

I do experience a bit of rear-end squat and bouncing. I'm currently evaluating Air Bags and Timbren Bump Stops. I'm leaning toward the Timbren as I can remove them when not towing so as not to impact rear axle articulation wheeling.

SeaSickSailor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I do experience a bit of rear-end squat and bouncing. I'm currently evaluating Air Bags and Timbren Bump Stops. I'm leaning toward the Timbren as I can remove them when not towing so as not to impact rear axle articulation wheeling.
That’s the beauty of the airbags that I have. Articulation is NOT limited. I did wheel travel measurements before and after installation and maximum downward travel was exactly the same. Maximum upward travel couldn’t be measured because I couldn’t figure out how to load the truck enough to compress one side to its maximum. However, given the OEM jounce bumper with its spacer measurements compared with the airbag and its internal jounce bumper dimensions, there would also be no difference between the two setups. I recommend that you check out the thread on this in this forum. I’ll search for it if I find it I’ll post the link here.