Newbie - shopping for new ram - need help/info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Hi guys,

looks like it's time to shop around for a new truck. i'm looking into getting another ram from this generation 02-08 and need some advice for what i'm looking at. i pretty much blindly bought the ram i have now and it's time to trade her in. Even at that, i most likely can only afford the early years of this generation.

i have been pondering the idea of actually getting the 5.9L cummins. I'm told you can get ~20 mpg and with my commute to work being mostly interstate i'm curious if it's not a viable option.

Another reason i'm told is that the cummins 5.9 just goes on forever and basically if i were to get a ram with a cummins, that the powertrain is great for longevity.

can you guys give me any idea what to look for? now, we all know everything on the internet is true and according to wiki the 5.9 cummins had an SO and HO version. Is there a cutoff for model years? Is there a nice plastic hat on the engine that will say "5.9L HO?"

Lastly, what about the tranny model? which would be best?

Thank you!

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
if this would be better in the general section please move...

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
bump?
any insight on what's enough for daily commute for a diesel? i drive 33 miles both ways for work.