No heat problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CZSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2009 1500 (5.7 Hemi) SLT variant and have pretty much no heat.
I have flushed the core by disconnecting both heater core lines from the point where they are attached to the block just below the thermostat and also replaced the blend door actuator (the one that's very easily accessible from behind the lower glove-box) - links here for each process along with the calibration of the actuator door. This replaced actuator works fine.

Additional Info:
I'm sure I have another actuator or two not working properly as prior to the loss of heat problem I was previous having trouble of not getting complete diversion to blowing 100% from the dash vents when switching from other such as floor, defrost, etc - I'd hear clicking / 'thumping' as I'm assuming another actuator was 'trying' to engage; initially it would eventually fully transition to the dash vents after trying a few times but now I only get ~ 60-75% from the dash vents when control is set for only dash.

1. My priority is heat; ultimately I'd like to also correct getting 100% from dash vents but heat is priority.
2. RE Heat priority: 'Hope' is to not have to pull the dash apart to avoid that time-headache.
3. When I flushed (with CLR) the core the flow was laminar and did not seem impeded and once up to temp the heater-core hoses are hot - so I'm assuming hot water is flowing fine thru the core (no sign of water in the cab/carpet)
4. FYI: Thermostat is new (190) and is working properly; temps will get as high as 215 from dash readout and then drop to 190-195 when the thermostat opens.

- Next step(s)? Replace the other actuators? If so, how many others are there?
- Change out the heater-core?
- Any good links for easiest route / short-cut solutions if having to dig deep into the dash?

Thanks,
Steve

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Check out the other threads on this. There are a ton of them about your generation and you should find all the info you need.

Full parts list and a drawing of your heater layout. Depends on whether you have the auto heat control or the single zone.

ef5e47d19e426403782b1a62797c96ea.png

Last edited: