No Help from Ram Customer service or customer retention department.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeF69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have two cases with Ram customer service and customer retention regards my 2018 RAM 2500 ABS/TCU faults. One lady just called me on a semi regular basis and fed me B.S. about trying to find the parts. She claimed that she found an ABS module at a sister dealer to the one I was using (same dealership different city) but the parts manager would not return her calls. (imagine that). I sent a certified letter to the dealership notifying them that if the truck was in a wreck due to the bad ABS/TCU then they were going to be held legally responsible as they apparently had a part in stock but would not make it available. I don't know what if any response I will get, however it is absurd to see a company have a year long wait to reengineer a part that is crucial for the safety of the vehicle. I know there is a lawsuit in CA against them for this exact problem, but I don't know when or if it has or will be settled.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I don't think RAM customer service has any sort of master access to the parts inventory at any dealership. Best they can do is look on the dealers Internet site. The Internet site may or not be correct. The part number on the site may be incorrect, The part may be in stock for another customer. The list goes on.

By writing such a threatening letter to a dealership you can just about guarantee they won't want to work with you. Your case has pretty close to 0% chance of succeeding because you would be hard pressed to PROVE the facts you are alleging. Doubt any lawyer would take it on a contingency basis. Quite possible you could be sued for injuries to another party since you knowingly drove a vehicle with a defective braking system.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Disagree with chris5K. After 20 yers as a MaJor Crimes Detective he sounds more like the defense lawyer for the other side rather than giving Mike69 support. Good for you sending the letter, I would also have audio taped the woman from Ram Customer Service..taken it to the sister dealership and advise the manager after a pleasent conversation, that media coverage would be on your list of steps"for the concern of the public and your own safety". Good luck and do not let the alleged threat of no result deter you. this course may still not yield the result you want but it will be noted and you have the satisfaction of keeping the notes of your actions should a court case arise..

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Disagree with chris5K. After 20 yers as a MaJor Crimes Detective he sounds more like the defense lawyer for the other side rather than giving Mike69 support. Good for you sending the letter, I would also have audio taped the woman from Ram Customer Service..taken it to the sister dealership and advise the manager after a pleasent conversation, that media coverage would be on your list of steps"for the concern of the public and your own safety". Good luck and do not let the alleged threat of no result deter you. this course may still not yield the result you want but it will be noted and you have the satisfaction of keeping the notes of your actions should a court case arise..
Taping conversations with out all parties consent is not legal in many states, and When lawyers are mentioned all communications halt with ram . That has been my observations on here and others sites.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Too true Daw14. However taping conversations gives you the inside edge of remembering what was said which you can paraphase when needed. Obviously "lawyers" are not mentioned in "corperate discussions" until the final push...you have to know how to work the system..not be obvious..a wee bit of cunning goes a long way..lol

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
What about your dot vehicle enforcement agency. I know they do commercial mostly but They may get ahold of something like this and just run with it seeing as they're job is to make sure the roads are safe for everyone.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
It was simply my opinion based on what was presented. I am no lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. I did not bring up the topic of a lawsuit, the OP did. I worked at a several dealers and it was company policy that anytime a customer threatened legal action, all subsequent communications with that customer needed to go through the legal department. Sending a certified letter threatening legal action is a step above an off-hand angry verbal comment.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats a smart move by the dealers part ! Get the Karens away from the Service desk... lol...

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I dealt with something similar both as a dealership employee and as a customer.

Manufacturers do not have access to a lot of things at the dealer level, despite what many think. Dealerships are privately owned and operated and the manufacturer does not control what they do. They can see IF a dealership says a part is in stock but they cannot control whether dealer inventory is accurate nor can they force a dealership to send a part. They can ask... but that's it. The dealership owns the parts. They cannot tell if that part is already allocated to someone else.

Dealerships will 100% lock down the first time you mention the word lawsuit. "I sent a certified letter to the dealership notifying them that if the truck was in a wreck due to the bad ABS/TCU then they were going to be held legally responsible as they apparently had a part in stock but would not make it available."

This was, in my opinion, the wrong approach. You don't know if that dealer already has that part earmarked for another customer who is having the same issue. They are under no legal liability to you because you heard through the grapevine that they have a part in stock.

But since you mentioned legally responsible, they're not going to respond. They did not manufacture the ABS unit, therefore you cannot hold them responsible if it fails and you get into an accident. Any decent lawyer would toss this out the window because a) you knew it had an issue and chose to continue driving it and b) responsibility does not fall onto a dealership in which you have no affiliation. They don't owe you anything.

I started tap dancing around that with our Ford Expedition issues (same type of deal) and the CSR warned me quickly that if I even insinuate legal issues then he would have to forward me to their legal team and would no longer be allowed to assist with trying to resolve the case.

It's a sticky situation and it sucks... I get that and I wish they'd resolve it for you. But you'll get more flies with honey than vinegar.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's a sticky situation and it sucks... I get that and I wish they'd resolve it for you. But you'll get more flies with honey than vinegar....well said 182

Exactly..a fine line to tread ..but be strong..the lads on this Forum no doubt sympathize with you but keep your Ace's in your back pocket..notes..times..people..( you do not have to disclose the existence of recordings of facts )...nice to have the information however..get the facts..just the facts!

Definitely something Afoul with this organization we support with our purchases!
Good Luck..!

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I sent a certified letter to the dealership notifying them that if the truck was in a wreck due to the bad ABS/TCU then they were going to be held legally responsible as they apparently had a part in stock but would not make it available.
Good luck with that.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
What the hell is a customer retention department? sounds kind of like jail.
Never heard of that

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What the hell is a customer retention department? sounds kind of like jail.
Never heard of that
It is to try and retain customers from going to a different brand. Not sure if Ram has one, but you often find them when cancelling services like cable TV, etc. They may offer you lower prices, etc in order to retain your business.

ashman155

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had the same issue with two different trucks. 1st one I was working up north near the NWT border and I had problem with my four wheel drive. i only had 10 days off, phoned the dealer in central Alberta, made an appointment to bring it in when I got home, told It would be ready when I headed north. I thought perfect. well the day came to pick it up the truck was not ready, asked when 3 days was the response. So I phoned the boss told him the trouble said no problem, three days go by nothing, all kinds of excuses, finally I said i going north, flew to my job site, field operator(contractor)your own vehicle but lucky for me I was training for part of my time in. I worked 20 days in 10 out 2 weeks into my shift, my ex phones me and said the truck is ready. Told her it can sit at the dealership. After my stint in i went to the dealership and told them you promised me it would be ready in ten days so I could have it, told them you owe me for flights to my job site(commercial air), plus lost wages for this truck total expenses lost $6000 plus air fare. I was loud enough they heard me in the show room. They disappeared with the bill came back with a new one paid only $25 for the paperwork. They were forced to swallow the huge expense cause of the errors on their part and excuses,oh yes I threatened them with a lawyer. 2nd truck a small part but could drive it, call back in a week we should have it. A week went by then two then three. Finally I said enough was enough, phoned them as to where this part was coming from. Told me out of Detriot, perfect told them I will go fly there to get the part at YOUR expense, man two days later get in here with your truck and we got the part to get it fixed. Gee i wonder how they got the part so fast after that phone call I made. No issues after that.

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
It is to try and retain customers from going to a different brand. Not sure if Ram has one, but you often find them when cancelling services like cable TV, etc. They may offer you lower prices, etc in order to retain your business.
Yes RAM has one, got the tshirt to prove it.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the same truck and also needed to replace the same parts. It took a bit of time for the parts to come in, not much that can be done other than don't drive the truck if concerned about the issue. Not the easiest solution, but things break and we have to adjust.

Liability rests solely with the operator if aware of a problem and operates the motor vehicle anyway. Kind of think that dealership is going to not ever get the part in now after the letter. Recommend the OP go buy the part where they can and get it installed.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I sent a certified letter to the dealership notifying them that if the truck was in a wreck due to the bad ABS/TCU then they were going to be held legally responsible as they apparently had a part in stock but would not make it available.

You just sent a letter stating you're knowingly and intentionally driving a vehicle without functioning factory installed safety equipment and you think *they* will have a bad time in court if you crash. :insane:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
You just sent a letter stating you're knowingly and intentionally driving a vehicle without functioning factory installed safety equipment and you think *they* will have a bad time in court if you crash. :insane:
Exactly.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This might be a shocker, but the odds that Ram actually makes the part are probably slim to none. Most parts like that are made by a supplier not the auto manufacturer - they are just the assembler.

And you don't just redesign a part, it has to go through design, testing and often times through some gov. agencies approval before releasing (though not sure on this part).

Isn't this the same part that others have just torn apart and cleaned up the motor on??

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have never figured out why all of the dealership Parts Department don't have to have to do monthly inventory & send it into a regional data base.

For instance, some of you will recall when every dealership was getting 2 sets of exhaust manifold bolts per week sent to them.

Some dealerships at the end of a 6 months period, had customers begging for the bolts, yet other small dealerships had 2 or 3 sets just sitting on the shelf.

That fact was learned quite a while after the bolt sets finally caught up to the need