No Speedo, Check Engine, Brake, and ABS lights on -- Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aRBee4863

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Noticed the speedo slowly failing 6 months ago. It would kind of dance around and not read out until I reached 40-50 mph, and even then it was "iffy". Eventually, it went completely dead. Showed codes P0501, P1502. My troubleshooting over the course of the next couple months:

- Check the rear abs wheel speed sensor on the rear diff for metal shavings on it
- Check the wiring between the rear abs sensor pigtail and the abs control module
- Clean and inspect the connector at the ABS control module
- Replace the rear abs wheel speed sensor on the rear diff
Then I learned from the Hanes manual that my year's speedometer reading actually comes from the transmission Output Shaft Speed Sensor (OSS).
- Change the OSS
- Change the rear abs wheel speed sensor again and warranty the first one back to RockAuto

In the meantime, I changed my differential gears and installed a limited slip (Eaton TrueTrac) because they were making noise and getting stuck in the snow on the lightly banked shoulder is embarassing. Vain hope that this would solve the problem.

- Gave up and took it to the dealer. Diagnostics $130. Dealer calls the next day and says the problem is my Rear ABS Wheel Speed Sensor. Part $120, total $200 out the door for me was including labor(they knocked off the diagnostics fee since I had them do the work).

Problem solved. I've read this before on one of these forums while I was looking for the solution, but I think that rear speed sensor is a dealer-only part. No matter what Autozone or O'Reilly or Rockauto will sell you, it will not work.

Jbrewer5211

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Hey there,
Not being a gear head at all, where should I check for these locations? left side/right side on the rear? I am having the same issue and trying to do this before taking to my StealerShip here in Tampa.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey there,
Not being a gear head at all, where should I check for these locations? left side/right side on the rear? I am having the same issue and trying to do this before taking to my StealerShip here in Tampa.
Find a mopar dealer site ,go to parts and pull up your truck. You will be able to locate what you are looking for As there are parts diagrams .

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Find a mopar dealer site ,go to parts and pull up your truck. You will be able to locate what you are looking for As there are parts diagrams .
Usually, yes, but sometimes no, or the "diagram" is of such a low quality that you cannot tell for sure if it is the item you really want or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963