No trailer brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaxblake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
2016 ram power wagon.I was hauling my trailer to Iowa a couple days and ago and as I went over a very bumpy bridge my display show the trailer connected then disconnected 3 or 4 times the finally stay disconnected. After the bumps stopped I had no trailer brakes ,the light and everything works but no brakes and the positive pin doesn’t work either but that could be unrelated. I put a new bumper plug in same thing. I know the trailer works pluged it into multiple different trucks and they all worked with the trailer. The pin says it has 28 millivolts at the plug and at the fuse with the gain at 10 and the brake pressed. I’m thinking that it’s the itbm module but not exactly sure

EddiieeG10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Have a Similar Problem, My Ram wont connect to the Brakes, but to everything else like lights yes.
Trailer works fine with Other Trucks.
Had Ram 7Way Tested and Power Load Test and Ram Connected to brakes and was able to use Gain Controls during power load test.

But still my Ram and Trailer wont connect to brakes! Im GOING CRAZY! I dont know whats the problem?! The Truck or the Trailer!?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The pin says it has 28 millivolts at the plug and at the fuse with the gain at 10 and the brake pressed. I’m thinking that it’s the itbm module but not exactly sure
The Ram trailer brake output is PWM controlled, so unless an inductive load is present and the correct type of meter is used a voltage reading will most likely be wrong/off. The brake output is in part determined by vehicle speed, the output may not full output while parked.
Figure out why the +12V isn't working, possibly the fuse which I believe is F30. It might be a wiring issue that has effected both the +12V and brake wire going to the back. F11 should be for the brake output.
It still could be the trailer brakes, it wouldn't be the first time someone has reported them not working behind a Ram but does with other brake controllers. While inspecting the trailer brakes there were problems found. You said the plug in the bumper was changed, did you change the trailer side? or the truck side? There have been problems with the jack in the bumper, check the plug behind the bumper.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i had that same issue....it was a faulty wire on one of the brakes. Once i fixed that, it never came back.

This time i soldered all the connections and wrapped them with tape

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Posted this in another thread. Might be applicable.

What does your plug on your trailer look like?

Does it look like this:
Plug style 1 (crappy)

Or this:
Plug style 2 (good)

In my experience, Ram trucks don't care for the first style - they don't interact with the receptacle on the truck very well. I had issues with that style on my flatbed trailer with my '17 Wagon and my new '22, but it would work fine behind the wife's or my FIL's Fords. My truck had NO issues with our travel trailer, which has a plug like the 2nd style.

I ended up replacing it with the second style, and all the problems with my flatbed went away. I went ahead and upgraded the lights on the trailer a few weeks later to LED, just to make them brighter, but the problems were with the plug.

I THINK what happens is the flat blade style tends to 'swell' a bit after some use, and they don't make a good connection with the receptacle that Ram uses. The second style is set up more like a 'spring' or a clip, and makes a solid connection to the prongs in the receptacle.