Not a UFO in sight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chicaria

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While on the road, doing the limit (35mph) smooth road, no potholes and in the time it takes the wipers to cycle 2 times
all electrical hell broke loose. The wipers cycled, the turn signals or hazards went nuts, I didnt see it but I heard the flasher go nuts. The radio cut out and I'm not sure if anything else like any dashboard gages were affected because it didnt last long enough. This happened a week ago and everything is still fine. In full disclosure I had a suspected wiper motor issue
a while ago. When turned on it had a mind of its own. That lasted a few weeks and that cleared up on its own.
My truck is a 1500 3rd. Gen. 5.7 Hemi. 80k miles. I've been a member of this forum for some time and found a lot of valuable information here. So there you have it, any ideas?
Thanks

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
The contacts in the wiper motor need to be cleaned. When you do it, remember to have diaelectric grease handy to coat them with after before you put it back together. Mine would do all kinds of funny stuff because of that. I forgot to use the grease on the contacts after doing it and 2 years later the truck had a mind of it's own again haha.
I should add, if you're not familiar with the process (yet) there are lots of good vids on Utube. It's quite common haha

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Would it be easier to replace the motor with a new one? I'm not lazy I'm just old and I'm good at it.
Not really. Replacing the entire unit will involve more work than just servicing the contacts. You have to pull off the sound proofing on the firewall which is the dirtiest part of the job, especially if you run gravel roads often, no matter what you decide. Why spend money on parts you don't need when a little sandpaper and grease will remedy it? But you be you. Smokey

sony224422

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had the same problem. I cleaned the contacts twice. I ended up ordering the whole assembly from rockauto as a mopar part and it swapped in in about 15 minutes. Haven’t had an issue since