Not taking gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Abraves

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7 with 65,000 miles. It started a couple years ago it wouldn't take gas unless you let it trickle in. Then it went away. It started again and I took it in for other service and had them look at that also. I had to pay a diagnostic fee that would be taken care of through warranty if they found a problem. Of course no problem found. Funny because I still cant put gas in normally. I have to run the pump as slow as possible. It takes approx 15 min to pump 22 gals. The service guy and the technician both had trucks that did this and they just sold them I guess. I guess I'm gonna take it back and let them look again and probably have to pay another 150 diagnostic fee. I know others have had this problem but not sure what the fix was. Any help would be great. I love my truck but this issue is frustrating. Also I have tried multiple gas stations.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Filler tube neck, charcoal canister, fuel tank vent, something stuck in the hoses.......

There are a number of things that can all cause the same issues, often times you kind of just have to start replacing and hope you get lucky.

Robert63049

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I Think i have an answer for your problem filling your tank,
When you put the nozzle in twist the nozzle to the right and rest the trigger guard on the lock pin in the door

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have read a number of comments over the years on this problem. Most common causes in my experience when others offer their support are a kinked vent or filler hose, or a clogged charcoal canister (generally, bit always, caused by continuing to click gas handle after first shut off when full). Crawl underneath and follow those two hoses. If both look undamaged then maybe try replacing canister. If that doesn't fix it maybe just replace filler pipe and vent hose (I am not a fan of just replacing parts, but trying to scope inside those are an invitation to a big problem). Good luck

OP
OP
A

Abraves

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't really want to start changing parts as this is still under warranty. Called dealer and they want me to bring it in again. Wouldn't be as big a deal if I worked right by the dealer or I didn't work at all or something but I do work and not very close. I'm fixing to go to a project about 3 hours from home so I'll probably just take to a dealer there and start the process over.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Take a tech to the gas station and show them the problem.

I have had lots of stuff that the dealership "could not reproduce" or "that's just the way these trucks are" so I took them out and showed them. Either they didn't know how to make it happen or it didn't feel that big of a deal when driving. Things are more pronounced when you sit in the passenger's seat having it done to you. 90% of the time they put some effort into doing something to fix it or make it better.

For my gas filling issue a new filler neck worked for about 6 months. After that they replaced the gas tank (rollover valve) and that fixed the issue. I think the next step after that would have been charcoal canister and evap hoses.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I Think i have an answer for your problem filling your tank,
When you put the nozzle in twist the nozzle to the right and rest the trigger guard on the lock pin in the door
I assume this only applies to those who have a locking gas port door.