Now I have my info, what to start looking for??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjump

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 8 Speed
OK, so to those that have followed my post about finding out some info on my towing capabilities, and my visit Saturday night to the RV show in Pittsburgh, I "think" I know what to start looking for.

So, basically, the Ram Trucks towing website (screen shot attached) says this.

Running 3.21 gears, 4 passengers, saving 500 lbs of reserve payload for the truck, my max towing is 7,448 lbs.

So, I am looking for either a Toy Hauler or Travel Trailer that has a GVWR of @ 6,700 lbs, saving 10% or so off the total.

So - would it be safe to say that anything in the 6,500 - 7,000 range would most likely work out?

Any suggestions - would like to sleep 4 comfortably if possible. 2 adults, 2 kids.

Even if I got something a bit heavier on the GVWR, but kept the load down so I would not max out, gives me some options for future use if I ever get a larger vehicle.

I contemplated changing out gears for 3.55 or 3.92's, but gas mileage is what led me to change over to this particular vehicle for my daily drive, so I don't want to change that.

Also, thx for all the replies in getting me the knowledge I need to start trailer hunting.

JJ in Pittsburgh

Attachments

• Tow Rating.JPG
    Tow Rating.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 27

StPat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Hyperlite Toy Hauler Travel Trailer by Forest River

Someting like this fits your "needs".
Its easy to get "wants" when shoping for a trailer at a show.
Just make sure to get your "needs" screw the rest.
Thor industries and forest river are the 2 biggest rv manufacturers. Go to their websites and look at the floor plans.
What are you looking to put in the toy hauler?.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
When we started looking for a travel trailer we decided early on that it had to have a bunkhouse. We like the fact that both kids have their own bed that is separate from the living area. I put up a curtain so we could watch TV when we put them to bed.

We didn't look at toy haulers but did a little looking since you started posting. You are going to have to pay close attention to your loaded weights.

You may have sacrifice some living space comforts with a TH vs a similar sized and weight TT. But if carrying quads is a priority there is no other way to do it.

Last edited:

StPat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Sorry for alk the replies. I love looking at travel trailers!!

StPat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
They also make pop-ups that are like toy haulers. Basicily they extend the frame and it gives you an area to haul your stuff. These are super light, and cheaper. It also would give you a bigger living space once you arive at your destination.

Flagstaff Tent Pop Up Camper by Forest River

OP
OP
J

jjump

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 8 Speed
Yeah...wants and needs do conflict don't they?

Right now, here is what we have.....

Me - Can AM Renegade 500
Wife - Polaris Scrambler 500
Son (6) - Polaris Outlaw 50
Daughter (8) - Polaris Scrambler 90 ( 2 stroke - this thing rips )

total weight with gas and gear is @ 1500

However, my thought process is this.

The kids quads in the back of the truck, the bigger quads in the toy hauler.

OR

Kids quads in the truck, and opt for a travel trailer instead of a toy hauler - I agree with Power247 - the kids need their own bunks. I'm thinking the wife will probably go this route. And we leave the adult quads at home when we go riding with just the kids.

OR

Usually, almost every time we go riding, my brother and sister in law, and their kids go to, they already have a pop up. I also have a 16' open trailer that we get 3 adult quads and 3 kids quads on, but it's pretty stuffed. I get him to haul half the load.

I got some searching to do. Im hoping in the next 6 months to find something on CL within a reasonable drive that someone is letting go for a steal.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know anything about toy haulers, but wanted to make sure you're taking the weight of the quads into account if they're going to be on the trailer? If they're on the front area like the popup above, if could seriously jeopardize your payload and tongue weight. Actually, doing that AND putting a quad and/or bike in the bed will kill your max's.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't know anything about toy haulers, but wanted to make sure you're taking the weight of the quads into account if they're going to be on the trailer? If they're on the front area like the popup above, if could seriously jeopardize your payload and tongue weight. Actually, doing that AND putting a quad and/or bike in the bed will kill your max's.

Every toy hauler I've seen has a "garage" area in the back, that is where you out the quads. I haven't seen one with the garage in the front.

OP
OP
J

jjump

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 8 Speed
So - now the wife is involved........

She says if we are going to do this, the kids must have their own bunks.

A toy hauler with bunk beds, not sure how common they are, other than the ones with the electric beds in the cargo area.

Below is one of the lighter ones I was able to find, would a GVWR of 7,700 be pushing it? Of course, I would try not to load it to the max if I didn't have to.

Grey Wolf Travel Trailer by Forest River

StPat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Yeah that's pushing it. Also the one you posted is not a toy hauler. For a standard travel trailer you can find lighter ones at that size. Mine is 30" ball to bumper and only weighs 4900 dry.

OP
OP
J

jjump

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 8 Speed
yeah, i know its a travel trailer.....

I am starting to lean towards those.

Here's my, well, our thought process....

I can fit the kids quads in the back of the truck for at least the next 4-5 years, which is why I saved 500lbs for payload on the truck.

That gives us some more options going with a travel trailer. AND, when me and the buddies go riding with just the adults, I got a handful that can take my Can-AM and I'll give them a place to sleep.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
So - now the wife is involved........

She says if we are going to do this, the kids must have their own bunks.

A toy hauler with bunk beds, not sure how common they are, other than the ones with the electric beds in the cargo area.

Below is one of the lighter ones I was able to find, would a GVWR of 7,700 be pushing it? Of course, I would try not to load it to the max if I didn't have to.

Grey Wolf Travel Trailer by Forest River
This is a very popular floorplan. Layout and weights are very similar to our Jayco. This should be at the very top of your limit. If you could find one a little lighter your transmission will thank you... especially if you have to travel long distances to get to where you will camp.

OP
OP
J

jjump

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 8 Speed
And no issues pulling with a 1500? Assuming though you're running one of the higher gears...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

StPat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
And no issues pulling with a 1500? Assuming though you're running one of the higher gears...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I have the 3:55s. I made a 40 mile run over the weekend. Hilly backroads. Pulled great. I'm heading to green ridge state forest in a week or two. Those mountains will be a good test. But I'm sure it will be fine.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Keep in mind although legally it won't be allowed I am sure the 3.21 gears could handle a little more than that rating if you went over the 10% grace now and then. What about a small fifth wheel so you could haul another trailer too? Might be dumb but something to consider as it would allow for you to buy items separate and if you get aluminum trailer it could cut some weight. Might be dumb I don't know just throwing out an idea.