NV4500 VSS 2001 Cummins 3500 RWD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
my speedometer was not working when I bought the wrecker, I changed the rear abs sensor in the diff, I have a vin 7 if that matters, with a 5 speed trans and a PTO.

When I changed the ABS sensor the speedometer "works" at higher speeds inaccurately, and nothing below 10mph. Upon looking at the tail section of my transmission, I see a sensor, that is unplugged, but no plug in sight, or cut wires.

I do have 4 cut wires near the driver engine compartment closest to the cab, maybe those are for it?
ABS and Brake light still on. also two unhooked connectors under dash, any idea where these may go?IMG_3627.jpg IMG_3628.jpg IMG_3631.jpg

I've included a picture. If someone has this year or a similiar year, I would appreciate if you would post pics or point me the right direction.

OP
OP
DodgeTx

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
ok an update, still not working correctly, verified the vent tube was not clogged, and checked wires were not broken anywhere on frame rail.

Anyone feel free to chime in even if its a wild guess.

OP
OP
DodgeTx

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
Just an update-

The speedometer will work correctly maybe once every week or two the whole time it is running, once it is shut off, it may or may not work for that day again. It will not work the following day for certain though.

OP
OP
DodgeTx

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
Update, changed the rear end to a drum brake rear end and left the speed sensor unhooked, now everything is working correctly. If you see this thread in 1 -3 years and have ideas please post, I check back from time to time.