O2 and Cat drive cycle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mesaboogie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I need to do emissions next week and I cannot get my O2 or Cat drive cycles to complete. I’ve been letting the truck warm up from cold, driving around town, doing 45-65 for 20 minutes straight. Slowing down. Idling in drive. AC on and Heater on. Been 3 days and I cannot get it go. Anyone know more than the generic Google stuff?

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I need to do emissions next week and I cannot get my O2 or Cat drive cycles to complete. I’ve been letting the truck warm up from cold, driving around town, doing 45-65 for 20 minutes straight. Slowing down. Idling in drive. AC on and Heater on. Been 3 days and I cannot get it go. Anyone know more than the generic Google stuff?
I believe you need to complete a “drive cycle” which usually consists of 50 miles (or more).
One of the prerequisites for O2 sensors to engage in fuel management the engine coolant needs to be close to 192 F

If your engine coolant thermostat is (stuck in the open position or) opening before 192 or sooner it may be not be monitoring the exhaust temperatures for fuel delivery and only using air temperature and speed.

One of the symptoms of the 02 not managing fuel delivery is greater fuel consumption.

OP
OP
M

mesaboogie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I believe you need to complete a “drive cycle” which usually consists of 50 miles (or more).
One of the prerequisites for O2 sensors to engage in fuel management the engine coolant needs to be close to 192 F

If your engine coolant thermostat is (stuck in the open position or) opening before 192 or sooner it may be not be monitoring the exhaust temperatures for fuel delivery and only using air temperature and speed.

One of the symptoms of the 02 not managing fuel delivery is greater fuel consumption.
50 miles in one shot or combined?

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Road trip ..They are sometimes referred to as “trip checks”

There are OBD2 readers that can record single or combined (systems) parameters / fuel / sensors / temp / speed , etc during your trip so you can view the information later

Last edited:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Many can also tell if your IM drive cycles are completed, I don't know if you went to one of the autoparts if the model they use will show it or not, I know mine shows it and says completed or open after each parameter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357