Permanent Evap Code Clearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Traversobrian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hello!
2014 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
Issue: Permanent Evap Codes stored
Probable cause: I filled gas for the first time and left the gas cap loose.

From what I understand in 2010+ certain emissions codes are set as permanent and can only be cleared by on board ECM once certain drive cycle requirements have been met.
What is the requirement?
I am currently at 207 miles and 28 warm up cycles and the permanent codes have not been cleared.
CEL is off and no pending/active codes

Thank you

Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can disconnect the negative cable on your battery and leave it disconnected for at least 60 minutes. This will totally power down the truck and reboot the PCM. If you have a tune on the vehicle, return the truck to the stock program before disconnecting the battery.

After you reconnect the battery you will have to reset your favorite radio stations, recalibrate your HomeLink garage door functions, any tune, etc...

OP
OP
T

Traversobrian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You can disconnect the negative cable on your battery and leave it disconnected for at least 60 minutes. This will totally power down the truck and reboot the PCM. If you have a tune on the vehicle, return the truck to the stock program before disconnecting the battery.

After you reconnect the battery you will have to reset your favorite radio stations, recalibrate your HomeLink garage door functions, any tune, etc...
That will not clear "permanent codes" on 2010+ vehicles. disconnecting the battery has same effect and abilities as using a DTC scan tool to clear active or pending codes. The only thing that can clear PERMANENT codes is the on board ECM itself. I am looking for knowledge or experience that pertains to the ECM's needs/requirements for warm up cycles and or drive miles to do so.
Thank you

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Disconnecting the battery shouldn't affect the tune,if he has one

smwalker

Reaction score
There is no reason for you to know what the criteria is to clear a permanent code. It's not hurting anyone being in there.
Turn off your OCD and let it be.

The only reason it matters is if you have to pass a state emissions inspection.

But to answer your question, no one really knows. Ford let the cat out of the bag but even the parameters in this article do not seem to correspond to the real world.

All the other manufacturers have been pretty quiet on the subject.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, permanent codes could never hurt resales, lol. Permanent codes can't help owners at all, so why do they even have them? Maybe to benefit the dealers? Another way to give you less on trade in? Well we were gonna give you more but those codes all stored up, here's our offer and you would be lucky to take it, lol.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah, permanent codes could never hurt resales, lol. Permanent codes can't help owners at all, so why do they even have them? Maybe to benefit the dealers? Another way to give you less on trade in? Well we were gonna give you more but those codes all stored up, here's our offer and you would be lucky to take it, lol.
I've wondered the same thing myself Mike,also wondered if it might be another avenue to deny a warrenty claim to

smwalker

Reaction score
I've wondered the same thing myself Mike,also wondered if it might be another avenue to deny a warranty claim to

Trainers in the auto repair world actually bill them as a way to prevent customers from filing claims for repairs against the repair shops. Key is when the car comes in print out a time and dated report of all the modules showing all the codes that are present. Say there is a permanent code in there for an EVAP leak. The car is in for a power steering fix. You fix the steering then the customers comes back a few days later says thier check engine light is on it must have been something you did when you repaired the Steering.

You are in for an argument with most customers who cannot fathom that the EVAP system has nothing to do with any steering system. BUt with a report showing a permanent code you can safely say they must have cleared out the current and pending EVAP codes before they dropped off the car for the steering repair and fully knew of thier EVAP issue.

As far as warranty claims though I think they can only help you. Dealer cannot clear codes and say they did not see any issues.