Odometer Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
Yeah, I’d call Nav people or U Connect. New Car Carriers transported it too! Your phone already paired to the truck at the dealer?

OP
OP
D

Dart67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Definitely weird. It most likely spent some of its pre arrival to dealership time on a train and then some on a car carrier. Neither of those methods of transport seem to have put miles on the odometer.
If this thread is not a late April Fools prank and you are not using mind altering substances I would guess that it must be a result of something done during dealer prep and involves the navigation system.
OR

Is it possible you have looked at two different screens? i.e. at the dealer one of the trip meter screens was displayed and showed 19 miles? Then upon arriving home you viewed the actual cumulative "odometer" and it showed the 359 miles. If the dealer you purchased from located the truck at another dealer, the truck would have been driven from the original dealer to the dealer you purchased from. Though usually done to locate a vehicle that has a specific feature that the buyer wants such as color, LSD etc. , sometimes they will do this just to trade vehicles that they do not even have a buyer for yet.

The odometer and the trip odometers all had 359 miles showing.

OP
OP
D

Dart67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, i think I would have put it in shipping mode.. if possible.. considering as you said it only had 19 miles on it.. I may be wrong, I thought shipping mode is permanently disabled after something like 100 miles has been accumulated..

I did not know about the "Ship Mode" and was not told about it a delivery. Or I would have. I also would have disconneted the battery if I had know the odometer mileage was goint to increase.
Yeah, I’d call Nav people or U Connect. New Car Carriers transported it too! Your phone already paired to the truck at the dealer?

Nope, phone was not paired.. I had to do that myself..For what good it will do. I have NO service where I live. But it will work when I go to town or on a trip.

TimboRam77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your truck has entered tha twilight zone.
That is bizarre.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Don’t believe everything you read online, lots of misinformation out there. Add smoke and drink and anything can happen!

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try putting back on the trailer, take a picture of the odometer and then pull it around for about 50 miles and see if it adds 50 miles to the odometer....

OP
OP
D

Dart67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try putting back on the trailer, take a picture of the odometer and then pull it around for about 50 miles and see if it adds 50 miles to the odometer....

Just came back from doing that.

I will UPDATE in a little while..

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wonder if disconnecting the battery will keep the miles from going up if being trailered.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think u have a legal issue. The odometer should update based on actual miles DRIVEN. As far as delivery I believe they disconnect the batteries to prevent any electrical issues on the trains or transport trailers. The gps would not be powered. I would call FCA and also consider an email complaint to the NHTSA.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
On the plus side, your calculated gas mileage for this tank is going to be spectacular!
That's true, but it will only go down from there LOL

OP
OP
D

Dart67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK folks here are the results of my findings and test.

My suspensions have been confirmed.

The POS Dealer Installed ELOGPS that I found under the dash connected to the OBDII port appears to be culprit for additional 340 miles added to the odometer reading.
I removed this POS tracking device, then loaded the 2020 Ram back onto my car trailer and took a trip down the road and back.
I took photos of BOTH the 2003 Ram trip odometer as well as the 2020 Ram trip odometer.
These photos started at our home.
I then drove to a church parking lot 3.7 miles away.
Stopped took photos of each odometer.
Then returned home and took photos of each odometer. Each of the photos have date and time stamps.

NO Increase to the 2020 Ram while being transported down the road on the trailer AFTER the REMOVAL of the tracking device.

1 - 4 5 2021 9.51PM Odometer Reading.JPG

2 - Engine Hours.JPG

3 - OBDII ELOGPS Cables.jpg

4 - ELOGPS.JPG

5 - LoadedUpatHome.JPG

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The POS Dealer Installed ELOGPS that I found under the dash connected to the OBDII port appears to be culprit for additional 340 miles added to the odometer reading.
I removed this POS tracking device, then loaded the 2020 Ram back onto my car trailer and took a trip down the road and back.
I'd name-n-shame the dealership who installed the tracking device here on the forum to forewarn anyone else who maybe going to that dealer.

OP
OP
D

Dart67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd name-n-shame the dealership who installed the tracking device here on the forum to forewarn anyone else who maybe going to that dealer.

I have Other Serious issues to resolve with them first... Then I probably will..

All I will say is Irving Texas......