Oil in the Pentastar V6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
darthdzl

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
I wrote the people at Amsoil inquiring about the availability of an oil filter for the pentastar and they replied that hey will be putting one on the market "this summer".

Very cool. Can't wait to see it.

OP
OP
darthdzl

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Got an answer from K&N today. Their filter *IS* synthetic media.

I should have it tomorrow. Then, in about 3000 miles comes my next oil change. I'll put in the K&N, take out the Fram, and examine it. Don't think I'll have my UOA kit by then, so that might wait till the 20K change, unless I wait longer on that one.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie with the pentastar - love the motor by the way it is the best thing about this truck. Anyhow, I went to Amsoil and Royal Purple's webpage and neither one offers an oil filter for this motor (I wrote RP and asked when they will start to offer a filter). That said - what is the BEST filter to get? I want to avoid the Fram crap...

I have a 2015 Outdoorsman with the pentastar engine as well. Only own it for a few days and so far really like it. This thread is very helpful because I'll be doing my first oil change in the summer. I was surprised to see a v6 in a Laramie, not available in Canada. Once you go to a higher model than mine it's only Hemi's and diesel available. I love the Laramie

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
The only ones I could find were Fram (the "cheapy" I have from WalMart, better than I thought), K&N, and Purolator. I'll keep searching, but I hit all the big auto parts stores' sites as well as Summit Racing, AutoAnything, Jegs, and a few other places.

EDIT: And thanks. I'm on Blackstone's website now. I'll get that kit here so I can have it in time for the 15k change.

EDIT2: How do you feel about adding a bypass oil filter?
WalMart now sells Mopar filters for the 3.6, $9.95.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Got an answer from K&N today. Their filter *IS* synthetic media.

I should have it tomorrow. Then, in about 3000 miles comes my next oil change. I'll put in the K&N, take out the Fram, and examine it. Don't think I'll have my UOA kit by then, so that might wait till the 20K change, unless I wait longer on that one.

Since you asked about oil, I am running 5/30 redline in my 15 wrangler. Seems to run smoother.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
darthdzl
You might want to use a different oil. While M1 is a good oil it is not ms-6395 certified so they could hold that against you if you have engine problems. Ms6395 is in the manual as recommened. From what I've read M1 would meet the spec but never got certified. Penzoil ultra platinum is certified and is a great oil. I use Quaker State Ultimate Durability full synthetic which meets the spec. It's available at wally world for about 20 bucks for 5qt jug and rated highly. Just my 2 cents.