Oilpan Gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hey guys.. need some advice..

My truck is droppin quite a bit of oil in my driveway... Its not visibly down on oil and we are about 1/2 way to the oilchange mileage wise.... Last time I was under the truck I recall thinking it looks like the oilpan gasket was leaking... does $1366 sound fair for doing a job like that? Thats at a local Ram dealer whom I'm trying to get a feel for their pricing...

Is there a chance that a non-mech type such as myself would mistake an oil leak like this for the oil pan gasket but is actually something else?

Thanks

Last edited:

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Im wondering if they are pulling the motor to do it or just going to pull it up enough to clear the pan.

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn that sounds expensive just for a pan gasket and some oil.
Do you have to lift or take out the engine just for a gasket change?
You could always wipe everything real good and check if form time to time to see where it's leaking.

OP
OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Sorry for not replying back sooner..

I believe they either have to lift the engine or drop the axle to do the job... the gasket is only like $90 of that.. the rest is labour.. I got a price from another Dodge dealer in town for $1172 @ Varcity Dodge.. I'm trying to figure out which way to go.. I've got another shop in town quoting me on a price, but Cummins isn't their speciality.. Not sure if I want a newb doing the job.

And.. found a cheaper price.. Courtesy Dodge, also in Calgary.. $1044... I like having multiple dealers nearby.. Competition is good. :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I took this pic while I was under the truck.. I'm no mechanic but thats what it looks like to me... I've got the truck booked in for Thursday for the work.. anyone disagree that its the gasket?

I called a couple other dealers in town and got it in at Courtesy Dodge for $1044.. a little cheaper... sounds like a PITA job to do.

Attachments

• IMG_00000028.jpg
    IMG_00000028.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 2,520
OP
OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Sorry for not replying back sooner..

I believe they either have to lift the engine or drop the axle to do the job... the gasket is only like $90 of that.. the rest is labour.. I got a price from another Dodge dealer in town for $1172 @ Varcity Dodge.. I'm trying to figure out which way to go.. I've got another shop in town quoting me on a price, but Cummins isn't their speciality.. Not sure if I want a newb doing the job.
XxzS. W
r
And.. found a cheaper price.. Courtesy Dodge, also in Calgary.. $1044... I like having multiple dealers nearby.. Competition is good. :D

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I would blast it with some brake cleaner and tighten the pan bolts a little, see if that changes anything. But basically see exactly what the problem is and get closer to my normal maintenance cycle before jumping in at $1000. But that's me...

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It books 9.7hrs, so that would mean it either requires pulling the motor up or the axle down, most likely its axle down. Every mopar straight axle 4x4 books a lot of labor, because the axle has to be dropped to remove the pan. Most of the time, you can get away with just unbolting the shocks, swaybar, and upper control arms, and just let the axle sag. Still, its a hell of an undertaking. 1044 sounds like an excellent price considering avg dealer labor is 120-150/hr, at 9.7hrs, you can do the math.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
How about brake cleaner and then some RTV along the seam may be a solution if leak is slow but I realize not OEM method ;)

$miley

OP
OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Damned I am bad at updating my threads.. I had the leak fixed by Tower Chrysler in Calgary... They found another leak on the rear main, apparently its a $2500 job.. The oilpan gasket leak is definately stopped.. It cost me ~$1200... I know.. coulda done it myself.. but relying on my mechanical ability to make sure oil stays in the truck is a bad idea...

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Damned I am bad at updating my threads.. I had the leak fixed by Tower Chrysler in Calgary... They found another leak on the rear main, apparently its a $2500 job.. The oilpan gasket leak is definately stopped.. It cost me ~$1200... I know.. coulda done it myself.. but relying on my mechanical ability to make sure oil stays in the truck is a bad idea...

Repair and routine maintenance costs certainly should be taken into account when buying a diesel.

OP
OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Would 180,000km ( an acceptable lifespan of these gaskets?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Would 180,000km ( an acceptable lifespan of these gaskets?

That's just over a hundred thousand miles, in my opinion "NO". Gas engines are going further without leaks and I would think a diesel should be good for well over 300,000 miles. What does a routine oil/ filters change costs?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I took this pic while I was under the truck.. I'm no mechanic but thats what it looks like to me... I've got the truck booked in for Thursday for the work.. anyone disagree that its the gasket?

I called a couple other dealers in town and got it in at Courtesy Dodge for $1044.. a little cheaper... sounds like a PITA job to do.

I tried to move the picture down to this post but failed. Look at the picture closely.

Brother I think you probably got screwed on that repair. If you have a rear seal leak it is very likely the oil migrated along the pan gasket area and what you saw was just residual oil from the rear seal leak. I would talk with the mechanic and get a clarification of the repair and want to see the old gasket.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
That thought had crossed my mind... I did ask if that is in fact where the bulk of the oil was coming from when I picked it up.. And they were confident that the oilpan gasket was the bulk of the leak, however the other gasket (rear main?) was another source of concern.

I'm confident its a combined issue... The amount of oil being dropped is down significantly from before. Prior to changing the Oilpan gasket I'd have a significant puddle below the truck every morning... now its a couple small drips from the backside of the engine.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
That's good to hear, I hope it works for you.