Head Gasket Replacement questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Been a while since I've been on here but have done some research on this process. I got home yesterday and saw a darker brown fluid dripping from underneath. Crawled under and I could see it bubbling and dripping from the passenger side head gasket, towards the rear lower corner. There was no overheating or nothing out of the ordinary that would make me think I caused it myself. I'm still debating on whether to take it in to get a full diagnostic done on it ($125 at the dealership) or go and purchase a combustion leak detector kit for $40 and give that a whirl.

Regardless, I've been watching videos on this and the process doesn't seem that hard, just time consuming. I do have a few questions though.

Is there anything I should check/replace while I'm in there? I was planning on getting the Felpro HS26423 Head gasket kit, new head bolts, new Mopar thermostat, new manifold bolts (replaced the stock failed manifolds with BBK shorties a couple years ago and might go back the the stock as these were noticeable louder when it came to hearing the valvetrain), coolant (how many gallons should I get? Mopar?), oil and filter. Should I send it off the get the head/heads flattened and tested?

I'm not trying to dig all the way down to the cam, but are the lifters worth looking at and, if so, how much more work is it to get to them? The passenger side has always seemed louder for some reason (valvetrain noise) vs the right, so I'm tempted to change them just to see if it makes any difference.

Also, do you think its worth replacing both head gaskets or just the one side? I mean, I'll be there but its just something else I could screw up.

Thanks for any and all help fellas.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
General rule, if you are going in you might as well replace as much as you can while you are in there. Unless you are gonna quick fix it and then sell the truck that other head gasket is going to fail at some point, then you'd have to tear the whole thing down again.

It all depends on your budget and time frame to have the vehicle down, but in an ideal world if I were gonna crack her open I'd be replacing the lifters, water pump, timing set, all the gaskets, everything I could get to while I was in there.

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
I don't want it to be down too long, but do have a backup truck to use in the mean time.

Should I go as many Mopar parts as possible?

Again, I'm somewhat mechanically inclined and the head gasket process doesn't scare me, its the lifters/cam/timing set that I really have no idea about.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know if it's always the case, but for the few head gasket cases I've read about on here it's always been the passenger side. Mine leaked externally on the passenger side but was still under warranty so I didn't have to pay... the dealer replaced the passenger head and gasket but didn't touch driver's side. I think they replaced the head just so there was no way they'd see it come back with the issue still there. I'd probably just fix the passenger side on yours and keep on trucking... these gaskets don't fail all that often.

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Me I am Like NCRaineman said if your going in do it all once and done I would at least as far as lifters go replace them and do both heads and send them to a head shop have them gone over they will strip tank them (clean) them pressure test and resurface them if you take your valve stem seals out of your top end kit they will replace them it was well worth the 250 dollars for me since I done all that work to know the head would not be the reason I had to go back anytime time. I replaced any parts I could while down including all new valve springs mine had 254k miles on them also replaced timing set, VVT sprocket, oil pump, VVT solenoid, water pump, push rods, etc of course my reason for tear down was not a head gasket its was the hemi cam lifter issue lost cam lobe on #6 intake and was starting to loose two more and pics below is just one benefit of having heads done they are clean going back before and after shot and one of why I had to go inside a side by side with the new cam0215210705a (2023_01_29 21_20_41 UTC).jpg0218211541 (2023_01_29 21_20_41 UTC).jpg2 (2023_01_29 21_20_41 UTC).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to reach out and see what the part numbers for the lifters are tomorrow and get them ordered. Just grabbed the gasket kit and thermostat. Need to check on the water pump part number as well as I see a couple and prices all over the place.

On a side note, what kind of coolant do yall recommend? Go back with the MOPAR orange stuff that costs as much a gallon as a happy ending at a rub-and-tug?

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You didn't say where you are getting your water pump from but make sure to get a mopar. I had 3 different aftermarkets fail in about 2 years. My mopar hasn't been on a super long time but its doing better than the others so far.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to reach out and see what the part numbers for the lifters are tomorrow and get them ordered. Just grabbed the gasket kit and thermostat. Need to check on the water pump part number as well as I see a couple and prices all over the place.

On a side note, what kind of coolant do yall recommend? Go back with the MOPAR orange stuff that costs as much a gallon as a happy ending at a rub-and-tug?
Given the overall sketchiness of aftermarket parts these days I'd go OEM whenever possible. Costs more but with imitation Chinese crap everywhere these days why take a chance in order to save a buck?

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Oh, I wasn't trying to save a buck by any means. I just didn't know if there was someone who made a better than OEM lifters/parts. But yes, will be going Mopar except for the gasket kit. Need to call the dealership to get the right part numbers for the water pump, lifters, and thermostat, but some parts are ordered.

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
is there any bolts that will need locktite by chance? Haven't seen any used in any videos but just wanted to check.

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Got the passenger side pulled and, sure enough, split gasket on the corner. It wasn't a terrible job, honestly. Now just need to finish pulling the drivers side, and to get them cleaned up. Still waiting on the water pump to come in.

Attachments

• IMG_4549.jpg
    IMG_4549.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4548.jpg
    IMG_4548.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4547.jpg
    IMG_4547.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 18

RamRod37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
how are your lifters do any of the rollers feel catchy & rough

RamRod37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
sorry computer internet bad caused a double post rewrote this in its place someone can delete this please

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Haven't checked them yet. Was too busy cussing the big wiring harness that was always in the way when trying to get the drivers side head out. Gonna regroup and dive back in in the morning and check the lifters. Really not wanting to drop $800 on them so I'm praying to the HEMI Gods that they roll smooth as butter.

On a random note, can I pressurize my shorty headers and check for leaks? Are the valves actually air tight? I have another set of header gaskets and thought about switching them out just because.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Haven't checked them yet. Was too busy cussing the big wiring harness that was always in the way when trying to get the drivers side head out. Gonna regroup and dive back in in the morning and check the lifters. Really not wanting to drop $800 on them so I'm praying to the HEMI Gods that they roll smooth as butter.

On a random note, can I pressurize my shorty headers and check for leaks? Are the valves actually air tight? I have another set of header gaskets and thought about switching them out just because.
If you're not using Remflex 6022 gaskets on your shorties,switch the gaskets out to them.

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
The Remflex was the gasket I bought to be used when I had them installed, but they put the JBA gasket on. The Remflex will be put on for sure. They also left a bolt off, so I need to grab a new header bolt too.

i did mess up and drop my throttle body while cleaning it. And, of course, it landed on the corner with the plug. Broke it but it didn't come lose. Hoping it holds out but will start to look for a replacement tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_4561.jpg
    IMG_4561.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4562.jpg
    IMG_4562.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 9

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The Remflex was the gasket I bought to be used when I had them installed, but they put the JBA gasket on. The Remflex will be put on for sure. They also left a bolt off, so I need to grab a new header bolt too.

i did mess up and drop my throttle body while cleaning it. And, of course, it landed on the corner with the plug. Broke it but it didn't come lose. Hoping it holds out but will start to look for a replacement tonight.
Try mixing superglue with pencil shavings(carbon) to glue it back together.

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
I'm just going to buy another one. Still plan on keeping this truck for a looong time so its just a piece of mind thing for myself.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm just going to buy another one. Still plan on keeping this truck for a looong time so its just a piece of mind thing for myself.
After 2013 the 5.7 /6.4 cars and truck 5.7/6.4's all use the exact same 251 throttle body.Quite often you can pick up used low milege stock TB's from guys who've swapped to a bigger throttle body

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Thanks. I found a used, low mileage off Ebay for $90 shipped with 3 day shipping. I'll take that and run.

On an update, I did get the headers and heads back on, push rods, rocker arms, and valve covers put on. I double, triple, and quadruple checked the push rod placement and making sure everything was seated correctly. I'm praying to the HEMI gods I'll run like a top when its all back together.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat