Time to do the plenum gasket…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

505phishhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Got this truck (2003 SLT 4x4 5.9 magnum) a little over 2 years ago but barely drove it for the first two years because I had a company truck. I got a good deal on the Ram and didn’t really get to see what all it needed until I quit my last job and started driving the Ram daily. Main thing it needs is a new plenum gasket. It consumes oil and fouls the plug on cylinder 8 so I don’t even need to take the throttle body off and get a look inside to know what’s happening. This is a common problem.

Anyway, I’ve got access to a full automotive shop, and I’m planning on doing a full tranny service in February (put in a pan with a drain plug, new filter, sensors, band adjustment, and pan gasket) and then the plenum gasket in March.

My question is what else is it worthwhile to do while I’m doing this job? So far I’ve got water pump and cap/rotor. I’m doing these for sure. Radiator and thermostat were recently replaced so no worries there.

Should I even mess with the roller lifters/chain/sprockets or the oil pressure sending unit? Those seem to be fine. Is there anything else that I should take a look at while everything is out? I read about the front bolts commonly breaking and while I’m going to do everything to keep this from happening I’m prepared for it. Anything else I should know about? I’m giving myself plenty of time to get everything together, and blocking off a weekend in March to do the work.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat