Older White Ram 3500 Exterior Detail Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Splat32

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 HO
I bought a new-to-me ’04 last year that was mechanically babied by its one PO. He kept it in his garage for the most part, which I’m unfortunately unable to do. He kept it clean, but I doubt it has ever been polished or waxed. It has a few minor scratches and a few rust freckles here and there. Here in northern Utah, I keep it washed on a weekly basis during the winter because of the snow and salt. In the warmer months, I hand wash once or twice a month.

So for a first-time exterior detail, what products should I use? I’m not looking for a showroom shine but want to take care the exterior as best as I can. If it were a darker color, I’d probably care more. Thanks in advance!

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You are going to get a lot of different ideas, from plain wax to clay bars. Personally, I don't trust myself with anything hard on the surface. I have brought paint back to life with McGuire's polishing compound and then just a good wax. If you have road tar or bugs the polishing compound has always taken it off and also helps in some of the scratches. Good luck, and enjoy the ride.

OP
OP
S

Splat32

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 HO
Yeah, I'm thinking about going with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound then finishing with their Ultimate Polish. I'll be using a Bosch 18v random orbital sander with the appropriate pads. Any reason to go with a wax instead of the polish?

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would decon it first with a iron remover. Carpro Ironx or Undrdog Purps. Then I would wash it with a good decon soap Carpro Ironx Pink soap or Undrdog soap. Then I would get a good claymit. Much easier to use vs clay IMO. Then you have a few options. Clutch by Shine supply. Its the best spray wax out there. It will last 6-8 months or you could use Koch Chemie P601. I personally would use P601. If you have a DA polisher that would be better, but it can be done by hand.

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
- Clay the entire truck (Riccardo Yellow Clay is what I use but Meguiar's clay will do the trick), you don't need any fancy spray, water will work just fine.
CLAY BAR HAS TO BE WET AT ALL TIMES
- Rinse the truck
- Dry using a chamois (sheep skin)
- Flex XC3401 polisher with Meguiar's Compound with a Lake country Yellow Pad
- Meguiar's MT300CC Polisher with Meguiar's Finishing Wax with finishing disc
- Wax of your choice

To maintain this look (you'll never have to do the above again):
- Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax Soap
- Rinse
- Dry with a chamois (sheep skin)
- Meguiar's Quik Wax (wipe off with a microfiber cloth, do one panel at a time)

During the winter, go to a car contactless car wash