Exterior Detail.... Done!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A bit of a confession - I haven't done a deep detail of the exterior of my truck since purchase in 2017. Normal exterior maintenance consisted of car washes as needed with the occasional quick wax. However, I was starting to notice oxidation and light scratches, and decided git'er done!
There was a time in my life when I'd strictly uses a four step process to detail my cars/trucks, but age and a spinal issues rule that out now. To simplify the process, I chose 3D Speed to use with my Presna Turbine polisher and Chemical Guys Orange Hex detail pads, a stack of microfiber towels, and 3D Bead It Up as a post-polish sealer. 407 advertises 3D Speed as a scratch remover, polish, and wax which was appealing to me trying to shorten steps and get great results. On a crew cab 1500, I used about 2/3 of a bottle. Pre-prep included a pressure wash rinse, foam bath, hand mop, them rinse and dry. I was very careful about feeling the surface as I dried the truck, removing anything that was gritty or stuck to the paint.
Application started with a single mist of pad conditioner to the wax pad, then 5 dime sized dots of 3D. I only applied the conditioner the first time I used a new pad. I worked a out a 3fx3ft area area at a time vertical then horizontal criss cross pattern. Removal was easy via buffing with the towel's short nap side, then polish using longer nap. When a section was completed, I followed up with a few mists of sealer, then wiped it in using horizontal strokes, then light buff out on clean microfiber towel.
Overall, I am very pleased. Paint looks show room new; mica pops through paint. No swirl-marks, light scratches removed. I used two wax pads on roof and hood area, one for bed/back, and two for sides, and 20 microfiber towels.
What looks like smudges are actually the mica in the black paint reflecting the sunlight as it filters through the trees!
Resize_20220716_144917_7972.jpgResize_20220716_144916_6022.jpg

Last edited:

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Pics? Sounds like she is looking good.