EGR Cooler on 2019 Ram 3500 with Cummins 6.7L (P0401)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NotExactlyAimless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
Have you noticed how everything breaks at 5pm on a Friday?
On the Sept 3rd we were driving through Belle Fourche, SD when the check engine light came on and we were derated to about 25mph. We took it into a Ram dealer who had it for six days (though I think he only spent a and hour or two looking at it, based on the bill) and diagnosed the problem as "EGR Cooler leaking internally". We are full time RVers and need to be in NM in a few weeks and they were not sure how long it would take to get the parts. But they said we could drive to NM if we just kept an eye on the coolant level. We had been nursing a small coolant leak and had an appointment in Cheyenne to have that looked at. Anyway, the dealer in Belle Fourche sent us off and we made it 20 miles before the check engine light came on and we were derated again. We are going to take it to a different dealer next week to have them diagnose it. We can smell burning coolant, but have only seen it dripping from the bottom of the overflow reservoir once. The air filter and overflow reservoir cap are brand new.

Curious if people think this is a big or medium fix and what else might be causing the problem. Now of course we are worried about the parts distribution people may be on strike. Can we find the part on our own and buy it for the dealer, if they can't get it?

Thanks
Love this forum, learn so much.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
If it's truly your EGR cooler leaking internally, I'd be VERY nervous about driving it at all. I mean sure it SHOULD just burn off any coolant, but remember that that is exhaust gases getting pushed over to your intake, so it's circulating through the combustion side of the pistons. All it would take is some of that condensing too much in a slightly worn piston and sliding down into your crankcase, and you're potentially looking at a destroyed bearing.

Maybe I'm a fear monger, but I'd be hesitant to drive too far if it's leaking badly enough to consistently throw codes.