Open diff vs LSD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LSD's don't 'kick in'. They are always on.

Traction control DOES 'kick in' when conditions are right.

If indeed you did feel it 'kick in', I'd venture to guess you don't actually have an LSD, and instead felt the traction control 'kick in', or you have an LSD unit that is in need of repair.

Thanks for the info. I do have the LSD rear. I guess it was traction control kicking in as I was making a right turn onto a highway and gave it some gas. I was spinning the rear wheel then I heard a thud (scared the **** out of me, thought I hit something) and I took of.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LSD was a must have for me. i've drove far to many trucks with a open diff and they have all been horrible for winter driving

CabinDweller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I have owned many trucks, all 4x4. Some with LSD and some open. For my purposes, I have never noticed a difference when they are in 4x4. They have all (with decent tires) been good in the snow. With auto-4WD, just select it and drive. My last two trucks have had this feature. I do very little hardcore off-roading in my trucks. In the old days, that's what my Jeeps were for. These days, that's why Polaris is in business. The truck just needs to pull the trailer to the trail head. :)

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
:beatdeadhorse5:

Ok, I'll give this dead horse of a thread another whack myself.

I had a new 2WD '89 Bronco II with a nice LSD. Good tires, it went almost anywhere. Nice, flexy suspension and well balanced off road.

I later had a new '92 Suzuki Samurai. Open Diffs on both axles. Even in 4WD with it's stock suspension and street tires it would just spin opposing wheels when met with the slightest offset mounds. Hell, even on flat gravel (though steep) inclines.

So, it is sort of a toss up on the type of vehicle and how dramatically each of the two impacts it's performance in low traction situations.

I CAN say that my latest Suzuki Samurai with a long flexy suspension and full time locker out back (never recommended on a street driven vehicle) is absolutely unstoppable. Almost. EVERY vehicle has it's limitations.

The Power Wagon is the perfect traction aid combo, as it is just loaded with "layers" of traction aids: Flexy Suspension, Good tires, LSD in the rear always working, and the selectable Lockers, both Front and Rear. Then, add in the Electronic "Genies" like Traction Control and Stability Control, etc. and it gets nuts. That, despite it's size, makes it a complete animal. And as a final back up, it has the Winch. You have to WORK to get this thing loose trying to play around and ralley a gravel road or bust a donut to get out of a tight spot. I would actually prefer no electronic Nannies at all. Period. But, it is a damn fine -almost- Idiot proof truck, though it has been briefly stuck.

For me, all that gear is heaven. I use all that and more. That is me, in my current "extreme" environment and in the way I choose to use it.

Probably 95% of all other truck owners would be wasting their money with any of that. Not bragging or trying to be macho. As a city dweller One year ago, I would have had little use of any of that. If I KNEW I wouldn't need it, I wouldn't buy it. If I didn't have the 4WD or any other of those individual pieces to the traction puzzle, I would tread lightly and be very aware of me and my vehicle's limitations.

Carry On...

Last edited:

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
One more quick little whack...

I purchased the Power Wagon with all of those things for damn good reason. I had a good idea of where it was going, and how it would be used. Turns out, I was right, and it is all very valuable to me.

On the other hand, for the past Six years, we have also had the '07 in my Sig line. It has been in 4-L0 maybe a dozen times. Six of those over six years of living in CA and travelling around, and the other Six in the last six months out here. It has the IFS up front with an open diff, stock sized tires and the tow package 3.92's and LSD. Even after 100k, totally stock miles, it is still a very capable and smooth, reliable truck. It is even more than most would need I suppose in the dry, desert southwest used as a Daily Driver.

As I have said elsewhere, I've logged more miles in 4-Lo in the Power Wagon in the Nine months I've had it, than I have in the 1500 in 4-Hi over almost Seven Years!

I guess my point being, buy what you need. Just be informed. And my motto is always "It's better to bring more than you think you will need".
Traction, Fuel, Food, Water, Ammo, friends or whatever when headed out into the unknown. You NEVER know what you'll encounter once off the beaten path of life.

OK. I think I am done now. :eek:

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:beatdeadhorse5:

Ok, I'll give this dead horse of a thread another whack myself.

I had a new 2WD '89 Bronco II with a nice LSD. Good tires, it went almost anywhere. Nice, flexy suspension and well balanced off road.

I later had a new '92 Suzuki Samurai. Open Diffs on both axles. Even in 4WD with it's stock suspension and street tires it would just spin opposing wheels when met with the slightest offset mounds. Hell, even on flat gravel (though steep) inclines.

So, it is sort of a toss up on the type of vehicle and how dramatically each of the two impacts it's performance in low traction situations.

I CAN say that my latest Suzuki Samurai with a long flexy suspension and full time locker out back (never recommended on a street driven vehicle) is absolutely unstoppable. Almost. EVERY vehicle has it's limitations.

The Power Wagon is the perfect traction aid combo, as it is just loaded with "layers" of traction aids: Flexy Suspension, Good tires, LSD in the rear always working, and the selectable Lockers, both Front and Rear. Then, add in the Electronic "Genies" like Traction Control and Stability Control, etc. and it gets nuts. That, despite it's size, makes it a complete animal. And as a final back up, it has the Winch. You have to WORK to get this thing loose trying to play around and ralley a gravel road or bust a donut to get out of a tight spot. I would actually prefer no electronic Nannies at all. Period. But, it is a damn fine -almost- Idiot proof truck, though it has been briefly stuck.

For me, all that gear is heaven. I use all that and more. That is me, in my current "extreme" environment and in the way I choose to use it.

Probably 95% of all other truck owners would be wasting their money with any of that. Not bragging or trying to be macho. As a city dweller One year ago, I would have had little use of any of that. If I KNEW I wouldn't need it, I wouldn't buy it. If I didn't have the 4WD or any other of those individual pieces to the traction puzzle, I would tread lightly and be very aware of me and my vehicle's limitations.

Carry On...

how and where it's used is exactly right. the average joe in the city will have very little or more likely zero use of things like 4wd and diff locks especially if they live in an area that sees no or very little snow

i use mine on the farm a lot but the biggest advantage for me is during winter since they can be pretty nasty and this year was one of the worst i've seen since i was a kid

earlzach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly why I new I could live without it. My off road days are gone. i pull two quads for that and I dont need a locker to do it. Most of enerything Ive owned was open ended. Having a posi unit in my 03 was "cool" but I am certain I never needed it in 10 years.
I love my truck, the ride the gas and everything.
Anyting lower in gear for me would have been money waisted. I have played this game with trucks too long. I actually was proud of myself for letting this go. I am not looking back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca