Opinion on minor roof damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So long story short: While driving home from work, I caught a leaf spring on the roof of my truck. It came from a passing vehical towing a ragged old trailer. I saw it flying in the air as I sat hopelessly in traffic, waiting for it to come down on me. My goodness was it loud.
It left a pretty small indentation but broke the paint and has already begun to rust. Being a relatively flat surface, it will hold a little standing water.
Would you pay a $500 deductible to get it repaired? I haven't taken it to any shops just yet to get a quote. Also, it's pretty much out of sight, out of mind. I just don't want to regret leaving it be years down the road.64f251ffca69edfd290ca530a7169eb2.jpgdcf68dcfa1375833f686cdb21af14a47.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn that sucks!

I would get that taken care of asap. My tonneau cover flipped up in the wind and dented my roof. It cracked the paint so I through some touch up paint on it and kind of forgot about it. It started to rust so I sanded it down to metal quick and put more touch up on it. It's started to rust again so in the spring I'm getting it fixed professionally. I'm pretty sure they will have to paint the whole roof but I'm not sure.

As for the insurance, I wouldn't go through that because your premium will most likely go up and it's probably not much more than $500 to fix that anyway depending on the body shop.

OP
OP
61N150W

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn that sucks!

I would get that taken care of asap. My tonneau cover flipped up in the wind and dented my roof. It cracked the paint so I through some touch up paint on it and kind of forgot about it. It started to rust so I sanded it down to metal quick and put more touch up on it. It's started to rust again so in the spring I'm getting it fixed professionally. I'm pretty sure they will have to paint the whole roof but I'm not sure.

As for the insurance, I wouldn't go through that because your premium will most likely go up and it's probably not much more than $500 to fix that anyway depending on the body shop.
Appreciate your thoughts on it.
I called my insurer and they "promised" my rates wouldn't go up due to not being at fault. Just hurts thinking of spending that much money (either out or pocket or through deductible) on a ~1/2" dent.
I have zero experience with body work so I probably won't attempt my own repair. Perhaps I should start with getting some esitmates.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Appreciate your thoughts on it.
I called my insurer and they "promised" my rates wouldn't go up due to not being at fault. Just hurts thinking of spending that much money (either out or pocket or through deductible) on a ~1/2" dent.
I have zero experience with body work so I probably won't attempt my own repair. Perhaps I should start with getting some esitmates.

Body work sucks, especially if you don't have the proper tools and supplies. I've don't it on several cars I've had in the past and it's a definitely skill and an art to make it come out looking right.

I'd get that in writing from your insurance agent and then go for it. Depending on if you have road salt in your area, it's going to rust pretty quick...

Last edited:

liftedpsd2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
heme
I would of caught that guy and made him pay it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
61N150W

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would of caught that guy and made him pay it.

Haha, I wish I could have. I was stuck in a line of cars at a red light and the spring came from a vehicle doing 45 in the opposite direction. By the time I figured out exactly what happened, they were long gone.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO I'd have it fixed and I bet your deductible will pay for most of it.
Jay

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Regardless of what your agent tells you, unless it’s going to exceed your deductible by quite a bit I would never file it, it will show as a loss on your insurance record which will be looked at by other policy insurers down the road. JMHO