Optimal dual battery mod for ‘19 PW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeaSickSailor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Hi all. I severely drained one of my oem mopar batteries due to a fault in my dual battery system. That’s fixed but my aux battery no longer seems to be able to hold a charge very long, even when fully charged. I’m looking at swapping out both batteries to Optima or other brand high capacity AGMs. Looked at the Optima website but it tells me that there are none that fit Natasha. Does anyone know of any good replacement batteries designed for heavy duty off-road and accessories use? Anyone do a mod for fitment of an Optima battery? Thanks for any feedback y’all can provide. 2DF56CBC-2000-48D2-B84A-9B86B068940C.jpeg

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quite a few people use odyssey batteries now. The optima batteries aren’t as solid as they used to be. I’ve had luck with advanced auto batteries. Had one in a 97 ram that lasted over 6 years of hard abuse. Plan on swapping one into my truck when it’s time. I’m not sure where to buy odyssey batteries at. I’m planning on building my truck up for over landing. Looking at adding a battery to my truck bed with a solar system to run a water pump and possibly lights.

Omar RVA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
@SeaSickSailor Odyssey and Northstar (batteries plus sells these rebranded and there are good discounts to be had) are the AGM gold standard now. I know Northstar and X2 power AGM (batteries+ brand) have the h7/94R that go in the factory spot. Keep in mind factory systems not designed around AGMs typically won't provide enough juice to fully charge AGMs and a trickle charger should be used to maintain them periodically. I favor Northstar since Odyssey requires their own trickle charger.

Side note - do you have a build thread?

OA

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hi all. I severely drained one of my oem mopar batteries due to a fault in my dual battery system. That’s fixed but my aux battery no longer seems to be able to hold a charge very long, even when fully charged. I’m looking at swapping out both batteries to Optima or other brand high capacity AGMs. Looked at the Optima website but it tells me that there are none that fit Natasha. Does anyone know of any good replacement batteries designed for heavy duty off-road and accessories use? Anyone do a mod for fitment of an Optima battery? Thanks for any feedback y’all can provide. View attachment 213486

off topic, but..

what front bumper is that? I like it.

trdt44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hi all. I severely drained one of my oem mopar batteries due to a fault in my dual battery system. That’s fixed but my aux battery no longer seems to be able to hold a charge very long, even when fully charged. I’m looking at swapping out both batteries to Optima or other brand high capacity AGMs. Looked at the Optima website but it tells me that there are none that fit Natasha. Does anyone know of any good replacement batteries designed for heavy duty off-road and accessories use? Anyone do a mod for fitment of an Optima battery? Thanks for any feedback y’all can provide. View attachment 213486

I have had good luck with Northstar AGM batteries. As mentioned they do need to be maintained. I have a CTEK 7002 charger that I put on the batteries once a month. I will be adding a Northstar (or X2) to the PW here soon.

Where did the dealership install your second battery and compressor? I am interested in doing both on my truck and could use some ideas.

Nice Expedition One Bumper btw. Just got mine installed and love it.

OP
OP
SeaSickSailor

SeaSickSailor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
@SeaSickSailor Odyssey and Northstar (batteries plus sells these rebranded and there are good discounts to be had) are the AGM gold standard now. I know Northstar and X2 power AGM (batteries+ brand) have the h7/94R that go in the factory spot. Keep in mind factory systems not designed around AGMs typically won't provide enough juice to fully charge AGMs and a trickle charger should be used to maintain them periodically. I favor Northstar since Odyssey requires their own trickle charger.

Side note - do you have a build thread?

OA
What do you mean by a build thread? Is that something one includes in their profile, or is it posted somewhere else?

OP
OP
SeaSickSailor

SeaSickSailor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I have had good luck with Northstar AGM batteries. As mentioned they do need to be maintained. I have a CTEK 7002 charger that I put on the batteries once a month. I will be adding a Northstar (or X2) to the PW here soon.

Where did the dealership install your second battery and compressor? I am interested in doing both on my truck and could use some ideas.

Nice Expedition One Bumper btw. Just got mine installed and love it.
2nd battery is on opposite side of engine compartment just aft of air cleaner. Compressor is just outboard of the drive shaft on driver’s side. It’s mounted vertically along with a small (2liter I think) air tank, which is also mounted vertically.

OP
OP
SeaSickSailor

SeaSickSailor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Been doing some reading about AGM vs. flooded cell batteries. I’m coming up totally confused. If I swap out my oem batteries for AGM, can the computer be configured such that the alternators and charging system knows that the batteries are AGM? Also, other than durability, I’m not convinced that there is an advantage to AGM. My main goal is to have a system that can handle significant discharge for running accessories (fridge, lights, CPAP, etc.) at night without going below minimum voltage for proper maintenance and good life of the battery. During the day, if not driving significantly, I’d charge with solar. Recommendations?

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Been doing some reading about AGM vs. flooded cell batteries. I’m coming up totally confused. If I swap out my oem batteries for AGM, can the computer be configured such that the alternators and charging system knows that the batteries are AGM? Also, other than durability, I’m not convinced that there is an advantage to AGM. My main goal is to have a system that can handle significant discharge for running accessories (fridge, lights, CPAP, etc.) at night without going below minimum voltage for proper maintenance and good life of the battery. During the day, if not driving significantly, I’d charge with solar. Recommendations?
Dry cell is better for depletion. Plus if you roll your truck, your battery will not be Compromised. Yellow top was my go to when I had a Jeep.
I have been going through trucks faster then batteries in recent years. My pod system like most, does not let me deplete my battery lowers then the cracking amps needed to start my truck, so I have not ran across a dead battery on my PW. But I like your setup. Please let us know the outcome when you make your choice.

OP
OP
SeaSickSailor

SeaSickSailor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Ok. Now I’m totally stumped. Just had my batteries load tested and alternators charging system checked. Everything passed. I expected alternators to be good but not both batteries. If I start with fully charged aux battery at night, it won’t hold the voltage high enough to run Dometic fridge/freezer all night plus CPAP and an led light now and then. I don’t know what else it could be.

OBTW, I’ll write the build thread this evening probably. Is there a specific forum or area to post those?

Omar RVA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok. Now I’m totally stumped. Just had my batteries load tested and alternators charging system checked. Everything passed. I expected alternators to be good but not both batteries. If I start with fully charged aux battery at night, it won’t hold the voltage high enough to run Dometic fridge/freezer all night plus CPAP and an led light now and then. I don’t know what else it could be.

OBTW, I’ll write the build thread this evening probably. Is there a specific forum or area to post those?

Don’t feel like you have to make one but I’m definitely interested in what your dual bat/compressor set up looks like. Obviously you touched on it already but many folks would love to learn/copy cat some of your pioneering on the 2019+ PW (myself included haha). I think you just post the thread in the PW sub forum as I haven’t seen one specific to builds.

I’ve had erroneous battery load tests before. It’s a flooded cell that’s been totally discharged right? You mentioned just seeing nominal parasitic draw?

OA

Omar RVA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

There are ways to trick the computer into allowing the alternator to send more juice to AGMs but I’m not sure one has been created for Rams (I’m coming from the Toyota world where there was a jumper one could run to handle this somewhat easily, but yotas don’t have all the canbus systems our Rams do).

OA

OP
OP
SeaSickSailor

SeaSickSailor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Don’t feel like you have to make one but I’m definitely interested in what your dual bat/compressor set up looks like. Obviously you touched on it already but many folks would love to learn/copy cat some of your pioneering on the 2019+ PW (myself included haha). I think you just post the thread in the PW sub forum as I haven’t seen one specific to builds.

I’ve had erroneous battery load tests before. It’s a flooded cell that’s been totally discharged right? You mentioned just seeing nominal parasitic draw?

OA
Yes, standard lead-acid battery that totally discharged. And, yes, very minimal parasitic discharge. Just did some rough calculations and it seems that I’m trying to draw a maximum of about 80-90% of the available amp hours the battery is supposed to be able to handle over the course of an evening/night (80Ah battery). If I could afford it I’d get a LiFePO4 battery to handle the major loads. Don’t feel like paying big $$$ for the battery and the necessary charge controller. Oh well.

trdt44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
2nd battery is on opposite side of engine compartment just aft of air cleaner. Compressor is just outboard of the drive shaft on driver’s side. It’s mounted vertically along with a small (2liter I think) air tank, which is also mounted vertically.
Thanks. It sounds like they may have used a dual battery tray from a Cummins. Would it be possible to take a picture of the second battery mounting and post it here. I am going to order a second battery tray and see if it works.

OP
OP
SeaSickSailor

SeaSickSailor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Still working on cleaning up the wire runs. After I get the spot and flood lights purchased and installed I will be able to make it all a bit more permanent. Most of those colored wires in the picture are for the lights and the Switch-Pros system.

Omar RVA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes, standard lead-acid battery that totally discharged. And, yes, very minimal parasitic discharge. Just did some rough calculations and it seems that I’m trying to draw a maximum of about 80-90% of the available amp hours the battery is supposed to be able to handle over the course of an evening/night (80Ah battery). If I could afford it I’d get a LiFePO4 battery to handle the major loads. Don’t feel like paying big $$$ for the battery and the necessary charge controller. Oh well.

My bet is your battery is toast but it's load testing ok on a full charge. Go AGM to start and get yourself tender/trickle charger with enough amps to keep it well maintained.

OA