Ordered a Roll N Lock...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Currently have a Extang Solid Fold 2.0 that has developed a leak. Not a "leaks a bit at the corners as most foldind/rolling covers tend to do" kind of leak, but a leak at the hinge going across the bed. Extang CS was great, and shipped a complete replacement to my Truck Accy dealer.

But, tbh I've never been completely thrilled with the Solid Fold. It tends to slide a round a bit on the rails as the springs are (imo) relatively light. The having to go on both sides of the truck to unhook it was a bit of a pain. And, the rubber side sections would fall off easily when folded up. Also, the "2nd" fold action was pretty heavy, lifting two sections of panel above your head with one hand.

Anyway, my shop agreed to let me "upgrade" the replacement to a different cover. I basically looked at the same options I originally considered - the Roll N Lock, the Undercover Flex folder, Undercover hard top, and a few shell options. One of my original issues is that I really didn't want a rail system in the bed, which is the main reason I chose the Solid Fold in the first place. But I've gotten over that, as it does severely limit you choices in tops. I also really preferred to not have to open the top to open the tailgate. It might seem silly, but I open the tailgate 100-1 easy over having the open the top, so having to lift a hard top or open a slider (in the case of the old style Roll N Lock) every time wasn't something I wanted. So that pretty much eliminated the hard top. Cost eliminated the shell, so I decided to go with/ended up with the Roll N Lock.

I actually wanted the Roll N Lock when I purchased the Solid Fold earlier - but due to the rails, and by buddy talking me out of one b/c he hated his (due to canister in bed), I didn't get it. But this time I decided to get the one I really wanted. Latest version doesn't require the connection to tailgate so it doesn't have to be opened to lower tailgate. Canister is small enough that I don't think it will be an issue for me. I never "fill" my bed, mainly just load it with fishing or shooting or hunting gear. I went with the Aluminum version vs the vinyl topped version. Should arrive in a few days, so hopefully will have it installed next week.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like they made some needed improvements on it. I had one on my 95 long bed and had a few issues, especially freezing in the winter. But I see your in FL so that should not be an issue. Would love to see pictures of yours after the installation.

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks yep I was a bit concerned about the ram bed as it tapers more than other brands, but they assured me they have installed many on Ram's without issue. Shop foreman has one on his although it's an F250. They are a local shop and do a lot of business, especially with local govt vehicles, etc.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
20181105_131209.jpg I've had one on 3 different rams. Always liked them. The canister is pretty small compared to most, if you use wire dryer or even just wd40 followed by white lithium grease on the locks and hinges to get the moisture out and keep it out it will not freeze on you. Also have to keep the drains clear some leaves etc will get in there and if it plugs then you can end up with a block of ice in there or it will flood into the truck box when it overflows.. Simple maintenance and it will work well for years in àny weather. Mine is opened and closed many times a day and it's so much quicker and easier than a tri-fold

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500