P0172 System Too Rich Bank 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

I keep getting a P0172 System Too Rich Bank 1 code and the truck will run like crap, shuddering, feeling like its misfiring or starving for fuel.

I do have an 02 sensor disconnected, Bank1 Sensor1, Cut the wires trying to get it out.

If I take the cables off the battery, let computer reset, truck will run correct and no code for a while.

At 82500 I got the code, reset computer
at 82900 Code came back, I think it was rainy, but don't remember for sure. reset computer
at 82995 code came back, Very rainy and damp, reset computer

I have replaced the MAP Sensor at 82900, I believe it was last spring that I changed plugs and wires. Champion copper plugs.

Being that the truck runs fine after a computer reset, I don't think and injectors, plugs or wires are bad.

Could the 02 sensor being disconnected cause it to do this? I haven't been able to get it out, going to have to take is somewhere to get it out I guess.

I have an Autel Autolink AL319 Code reader, it does provide some live data if that would be helpful.

Any Ideas?

Thank you,

Steve

Last edited:

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
I would say yes the computer reads upstream o2 sensor and down stream o2 sensor and regulate your air fuel mixture and you idle too.If you can get yourself a torch you can heat it to try to remove it .

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
^^^ torch it red hot then throw cold water on it, that should pop the rust n crap loose.

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will see if I can get a torch to it, damn thing is on top of pipe. Why don't they put things easier to get to? LOL Have to wait for warmer day that the ground is solid again, snow and ground have been melting.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
You need to come south 80 degrees today we get a lot of rain not to much of the white stuff that wet and cold ground is not fun.You don't have a garage you could get into so you wont be cold and freeze to death . The car manufactures make stuff where you nearly have to pull the engine out to work on it.

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish I had a garage. Next time I have about 10G's I'm building one.
Today I had the code again after just starting the truck, Today it is a P0300 Multiple Cylinder random misfire.

unplugged battery while I was in the Dentist, come out, hook up battery, Start Truck and Codes are gone, running fine, drove 40 miles to work.

Can't find my torch end for propane takes, guess I will buying a new one, hoping to have some time to work on it is the next problem.

joecal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just curious, did you resolve this problem? I'm getting the same code and having a difficult time tracking it down. I replaced both O2 sensors, MAP, and IAC sensor and still getting that code. The gas mileage is awful too, around 7.5 mpg and it's a 4.7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicholas17smith