Paint Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mega Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi everyone, I've been gone a while. Working a lot. Gotta earn the $$$ to make the upgrades to the Mega-Pig.

My 06 has "Solvent Pop" scattered throughout the truck. Both sides of the bed, the hood, both front doors and both front fenders. Solvent Pop are blisters on the paint surface caused by trapped solvents in the topcoats or primer-surfacer, a situation which is further aggravated by force drying or uneven heating.

Dodge, or Chrysler will not do anything to correct the problem. It is the original paint and color. They told me that they will not respray it because I am out of the factory warranty (3/36) and I am the second owner.

(Even though their name is all over the truck)

Now, after all of the work I did in the last 6 months, $4200+, the auto body shop that painted my fender flares wants $6000 to re-do the entire truck the same color.

My only 2 options now are to pay $6000 and get it done, or see what Dodge gives me as a trade-in.

And that is even if I decide to get another Dodge. After this issue, I am not sure if I want to stay with Dodge/Chrysler.

Does anyone else have this problem or can anyone help?

This is a photo above the passenger headlight.

Dodge Pics 005.jpg

Mike

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Awwww man that really sucks! I dont have that problem. That's a tough situation, $6000 is a lot for a paint job versus trading it in and getting a newer truck :D

TexasAggie18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I have that same problem, only mine is a lot worse. Mine is on the roof, bed rails, and now its starting on the hood:mad: On the roof its really bad and starting to turn it gray, and I know those other spots are just gonna get worse. Just ****** me off that they give these trucks crappy paint jobs...

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
i know the owner of a body shop, he painted my entire box for 1 grand and i almost had him paint my entire truck for 2400. i would shop around.

OP
OP
Mega Mike

Mega Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Only thing with painting mine is that the color is one of Dodge's most expensive colors.

Inferno Red Pearl Coat, I believe $125-$150 a pint.

$6000 included everything, door jams, roof, hood, tailgate, behind the cab, etc.

These guys painted my boss's 1972 Chevelle with the rally stripes for $8000. So doing a truck twice the size for 2G's less seems pretty good, but still 6 grand.

Thought about a custom paint job, but that's more cheese that I ain't got. But I will get the tailgate airbrushed. Probably a gambling skull/Ram skull theme.

hemi powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Can't the truck be sanded down and then recleared if its just the top coat?

TexasAggie18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can't the truck be sanded down and then recleared if its just the top coat?

Thats a good question! But I really have no idea about anything paint related. That would be awesome if it could be and hopefully save some money! maybe someone might know...

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
if its solvent pop........its typically not just in the clear.

OP
OP
Mega Mike

Mega Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Exactly. Solvent pop usually involves the primer. The clear is still there.

Went to the dealer today to ask for the number to the DM (District Manager). The owner of the dealership is trying to help out. He wants to set up a meeting with the DM to see the issues at hand. And then we go from there, should know something soon.

Keeping the fingers crossed.

Last edited:

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
just get a respray of the same color and it will be alot less. I think your getting taken for that price.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
if its down to the primer (which it is), they really need to take it back down to primer, or even metal. That is NOT cheap.