Performance shop "Y Pipe not worth it, You'll loose bottom end power"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
if youre gonna do it, make sure you get it with mandrel bends - not that crush bent stuff.

uploadfromtaptalk1390651706692.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1390651723581.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So if i don't do any mandrel bending and just swap out the stock Y pipe for the magna flow, would it really be worth my time at all?

its still gonna be better than stock.. just not as good as it could be. Whether its worth it or not is up to you. Do you plan on ever getting headers down the road?

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Ramguy65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did true dual catback on mine with a magnaflow. Got rid of the y pipe altogether. You will get 12-15hp and better fuel mileage if you can keep your foot off the gas!

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^Dyno proof? Given the cost of custom exhaust work around here, I determined the Y-pipe wasn't worth it for me. In the end, it's all flowing down into one 3" pipe.

Ramguy65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I called 3 muffler shops and they all told me the same thing regarding power gains. I ended going to a shop that specializes in aftermarket exhaust. I also did a lot of research on the true duals. Most sites say the same 12-15hp gains up to 20hp depending on your set up. A lot of people think they should go with bigger pipes when doing this but is not true. They say 1/4" to 1/2" bigger than stock at the most. If you go bigger you will start to lose low end torque. I have also heard that a good intake will really compliment the true duals which is why I am getting the Vararam. Once I get that installed I will let you know the difference

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
^Dyno proof? Given the cost of custom exhaust work around here, I determined the Y-pipe wasn't worth it for me. In the end, it's all flowing down into one 3" pipe.

Lol thats totally illogical. If the biggest restriction in the factory exhaust after the cats is the y whether it flows into a single 3 or 2x 2 1/4 is not important, the restriction is still there...

Ramguy65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol thats totally illogical. If the biggest restriction in the factory exhaust after the cats is the y whether it flows into a single 3 or 2x 2 1/4 is not important, the restriction is still there...

This was taken from Flowmasters website. I have also seen this on other sites as well. I was also told this from the shop that installed my set up.

12. What size exhaust tubing should I use for my street application?

The size of tubing used in an exhaust system is as important as selecting the right muffler. Your tubing diameter choice will affect the sound level and performance characteristics of the muffler, but keep in mind that bigger is not always better. Using tubing that is too large can actually hinder exhaust scavenging by slowing the velocity of exhaust pulses in the tubing. As a rule, most stock street applications (dual exhaust) use 2.00” through
2.25” tubing, and modified street applications will generally use 2.25” or 2.50” tubing. Very rarely will 3.00” tubing be used for street applications.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
This was taken from Flowmasters website. I have also seen this on other sites as well. I was also told this from the shop that installed my set up.

12. What size exhaust tubing should I use for my street application?

The size of tubing used in an exhaust system is as important as selecting the right muffler. Your tubing diameter choice will affect the sound level and performance characteristics of the muffler, but keep in mind that bigger is not always better. Using tubing that is too large can actually hinder exhaust scavenging by slowing the velocity of exhaust pulses in the tubing. As a rule, most stock street applications (dual exhaust) use 2.00” through
2.25” tubing, and modified street applications will generally use 2.25” or 2.50” tubing. Very rarely will 3.00” tubing be used for street applications.

Thank you for confirming my statement, aside from the "y pipe is the biggest restriction after the factory cats" part, which is true by the way,
A stock hemi or lightly modded hemi only needs a single 3 or dual 2 1/4
People running boost or n2o (or both!) is a different story! :p

So basically if you got a catback system that did not change your factory y pipe you may as well have gotten a muffler delete or swap and saved the money.
The OEM system is quite well made, aside from the ugly y pipe. All stainless and mandrel bend, what more do you want? (More than a y pipe)

There are several threads on here with photos of the stock y beside the magnaflow y and once you will see the difference you will understand real well!
These guys say lots of things in general. They are not hemi experts. Gm 6 litre 2500 2009 to at least 11 or 12 (trucks i work on) comes with a y so nice it looks like a mf y and 3" mandrel from the manifold to the y into single 4 so for the exhaust shop guy to recommend the same thing for every truck is ridiculous.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I also had a jba header install along with my y pipe, with Maggy exhaust.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Key words being "after the factory cats". Thus, if I still have the factory cats, I don't believe this mod would be worth the ~$200 for me. Shops around here are crazy expensive for any custom work. Show me a dyno of a Y-pipe mod (only) creating more power or torque, and I'll believe it. On the other site, Vararam has a dyno chart for their $100 spacer. They will let you return it and refund your total cost + shipping both ways, and people are still ********. If I spend $200 on the Y pipe, notice nothing, I'm still out my $200 and 1 hour+ of my time.

I do believe that a full custom dual set up will add significant gains -- as long as you have the power up front to produce it.

Last edited:

Ramguy65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^ With your intake and maggy they will all work well together with the new Y pipe to help improve performance. Not a whole lot but it will give you some improvement in performance. You have to figure with your intake you are pulling in more air...with the new Y pipe there will be less of a restriction of air flow going out.

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
^^ With your intake and maggy they will all work well together with the new Y pipe to help improve performance. Not a whole lot but it will give you some improvement in performance. You have to figure with your intake you are pulling in more air...with the new Y pipe there will be less of a restriction of air flow going out.

In theory yes, but it would be so minuet that it wouldn't be worth the cost. With a blower and no cats... yes a bit. Not as much as you'd like to believe. Looks impressive on a forum sig mod list.

Lets see.... $200 + for 391 hp vs 390 hp???

Immeasurable phantom gain for the cost... what ever helps you sleep at night.

Ramguy65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In theory yes, but it would be so minuet that it wouldn't be worth the cost. With a blower and no cats... yes a bit. Not as much as you'd like to believe. Looks impressive on a forum sig mod list.

Lets see.... $200 + for 391 hp vs 390 hp???

Immeasurable phantom gain for the cost... what ever helps you sleep at night.

I'm not saying the power difference is going to blow you away! Lol. Hence why I went true duals with no Y pipe! :) Don't get me wrong...I totally agree with you about the Y pipes and I believe they aren't worth the money. I was just stating that with your mods they would all work together to give you more power and I forgot to mention a little better fuel mileage.

bloombloom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only difference I noticed with mine was the change in sound, performance stayed the same from what I can feel

ctechnow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why did dodge use a flattened Y-Pipe? I was told by one of my local exhaust shops that if I put the new Y in that it may interfere with servicing the transmission in the future. He said that the flattened Y allows the pan to be dropped.