Power draw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bodyworks317

Reaction score
Ram Year
09/2005
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2006 dodge ram 1500 quad Cab that has a short somewhere. With the key off starter and alternator disconnected. I disconnected the negative terminal because of a draw. When I connect my multimeter between the negative post and the cable I still read 12.4 volts with the key off. Pulled each fuse no change. Need suggestions please.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bodyworks317

Reaction score
Ram Year
09/2005
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think I figured it out the radiator blew and soaked the engine compartment. I think it shorted out the ecm

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you put a "volt" meter between a terminal and cable, it will always read 12v. That is 100% normal. You need to use an "amp" meter to measure a draw. Search google or youtube for troubleshooting a parasitic draw.
Yeah, he completed the circuit, by grounding, LOL.

FabricGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Most DMM (digital multi meter) have an amp feature (10 amp max) where you have to select it on the dial and will probably need to move the red wire to another input.

There is a 10a fuse in the DMM to protect it incase it is used improperly

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I figured it out the radiator blew and soaked the engine compartment. I think it shorted out the ecm
So you know its very hard to short a ecm out from it getting wet connectors are sealed when plugged in I have gottan a ecm soaked once didnt skip a beat.